Radiant

Contributor
@Pano

I mean, "manga", "bande dessinée", and "comic" are broadly speaking each their own respective language's word for the same thing.

(And so: To the Japanese DC's Superman is a "manga", BDs are all "comics" in English, and at least by your account, One Piece is a "BD" in French)

[Spoilered because it turned into a wall-of-text.]
Many English fandoms have picked up a tendency of calling comics by what they are called in their country of origin. So, "manga" for Japan, "manhwa" for Korea. And likewise to my limited experience, fans of European comics and culture recognize certain categories such as the "bande dessinée" as, when used verbatim like that in English, referring to French comics (and possibly Belgian...? I'm a little fuzzy here).

That is to say, as long as we are speaking in English this is a "French comic", quite possibly also a BD (I can't speak with authority there, not my area of expertise), and most probably not a manga (though it seems there's a few unusual circumstances that leave a little room for debate on that in this case; generally just the style alone however would not qualify it, at least not in the eyes of most fans).

(And yes whoever said it was "franga" was being an idiot, though I'm not sure if they were also just joking.)

(Sorry if I've misunderstood what you've said and am just stating the obvious.)

Group Leader
One Piece it's not a BD in French. It's a manga, it's all.
BD it's not the same thing... not the same style but whatever.

And for the french manga, we say either "manfra" or "manga" wtf "franga"? Ofc no, thankfully.

But "manfra" is actually being used. Not much, that's for sure. But it is.
But, at least, at my place. Everybody says manga. Bande dessinée are really something else, it's not the same graphic style, narration, reading, no seriously, it's quite different.

It's quite simple, personally I use those terms, as a french reader:
Comics for english/american ones. (Or webcomic such as TBATE) [Animé for animated adaptations]
Manhwa for korean ones. (Webtoon for digital.) [Animé for adaptations.]
Manhua for chinese. (Webmanhua for digital.) [Donghua, for adaptations.]
Manga for japanese and french, even though I don't read much about them (fr). [Animé]
Others productions (indonesian, etc. i call them webtoon because it's mostly digital. (And i don't have other terms, lol) [Same]

@RagingDragon The french edition will be available the August 28. When we get the chapter in english depends on Baguette Scan. (I think it took 1-2 week for all chapter of Vol.13 to be translated)

Some preview posted by Tony Valente on his instagram or during his livestream.

(minor spoiler for Vol.14)
Screenshot_20200406-145938.png

Screenshot_20200310-123928.png

(I don't really know if it's a minor or major spoiler: Read at your own risk)
Screenshot_20200421-195530.png

Group Leader
Volume 14 was released today and it was fucking awesome, you guys are gonna scream so loud while reading the chapters. It was so much moving and epic ! Volume 15 firstly scheduled for december has been delayed to January due to the COVID pandemic (the information comes from Tony himself)

Quick question: I want to support Tony and this series and was planning to buy all the volumes. Is there like an official site that sells maybe a whole bundle? (I live in the US and there's Amazon, but I figured I should ask for alternatives).

Absolutely stoked to read the new volume! More Ocoho is welcome 😍

Rol

Group Leader
@Colard On this page you can see the "Official english" link (right below the summary), click it and it will take you to the official Viz translations, then click on the volumes you're interested in and it will give you a list of sites that sell them.

this manga tackles descrimination much better than most shounen, maybe even all of the current projects in Jump where its a recurrent theme. It looks spectacular, the world building is well done, and the main character is smart & likable. i guess the only downside is that its french so we don't get it weekly

@Rol Oh I see it now thanks! Placed orders for all volumes already and am excited to get them!

As always thank you for all your hard work on this series!

i have a question in the chap 101 p13 2nd panel, does seth's fist pose actually lift the middle finger and u edit it or its originally like that? is that kinda content actually already should we put in minds when we scanlating original works? thankss!!

Rol

Group Leader
@hentoki It's originally like that, you don't need to raise your finger when doing this gesture (at least not in France).
I don't modify anything unless I need to redraw (when typesetting outside of bubbles) and even then I always stick to what the original drawing is.

@Rol @Aurum
Oh i see i never knew such a thing.
Hahaha sorry it's just me speculating maybe you edit it so it would not be taken down when u publish it on other platform. Silly me 😅

Users who are viewing this thread