Reading progress should be updated AFTER completing a chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
i personally want it to mark when opened, because if i misclicked, then i just need to unmark it, another thing, I often use Mouse button 4 aka go back in browser, that would mean none of my chapters would be marked with your method. The current method works for everything, if you didn't bother finishing a chapter, just unmark it, else, leave it, much better than having to go back and mark it if you're like me.

P.S. I use the go back so that i can go to the follows page while conserving the scroll position, which is great when dealing with 6 page chapters in a row

EDIT: I will say this, having chapters that warn about spoilers being mark as read even if i go back is annoying, so I do get where this is coming from, but you'd think teh warning page wouldn't count towards a real page.

Contributor
Would be kind of cool, but I feel that it introduces more complications than it would solve.

Dex-chan lover
Hell fucking no. It'd be like in iTunes, where a song only counts as completed if you let it pass the final second.
if i pick up a newspaper and read the headline on the front page; have i read the newspaper?
If I open a manga chapter and click the last page, have I read the chapter?

Aggregator gang
> P.S. I use the go back so that i can go to the follows page while conserving the scroll position, which is great when dealing with 6 page chapters in a row
i can see how that would make sense but the progress would still be updated on the last page in this situation.

> Hell fucking no. It'd be like in iTunes, where a song only counts as completed if you let it pass the final second.
Is this something people actually do? just skip the last page of a chapter? why?

> If I open a manga chapter and click the last page, have I read the chapter?
how and/or why would this situation ever occur?
a new chapter that you haven't read yet and you just go to the last page instantly?
it would be marked as read in the current system anyway so if this situation would occur the outcome would be the same

Dex-chan lover
> > If I open a manga chapter and click the last page, have I read the chapter?

this could happen if you accidentally go back a chapter to a chapter you didn't read, (so you see the spoiler warning, and go to teh previous chapter instead, but turns out you didn't realize you missed a few chapter, it'll be the same as the current version ofc (because it's on open), but it can happen).

anyways, as for my situation, what is this "moving away from last page", because as far as i know, websites dont track go back inputs, only actual inputs, so "going back from the last page" seems to vague, and if it is on accessing the last page, then we have the situation above.

one reason i like the current system: because of the lack of mass marking, i can just do next chapter a bunch and it'll mark it all as read.

another thing: how exactly does this work with longstrip mode, because pages and chapters are weirder with that (using go back in longstrip brings you all the way back outside the reader, something i find really helpful (because of the thing i do), but some weird scrolling can happen, or the last page doesn't register because it's too small (some small credit pages dont get read by the read sometimes), which again, complicates things)

another other thing: some people use the next chapter button to skip credit pages (i did that once or twice with LH translations, because i know they dont have joke pages i might want to read, so easier to click once than 3 times), so how would that work?

tldr: not worth the effort to implement a check for this last page thing, different things could affect it. and also, I'd say if you opened something, it's considered read, just like how if you open your messenger app, it marks everything as read, even if you didn't start reading yet (like discord, the moment you can't scroll down, it removed the unread, even if i didn't finish reading everything)

Contributor
I think the arguments being made against this boil down to the fact that viewing the last page is just as an arbitrary trigger for marking a chapter read as viewing the first page.
The internet at large already has a precedent of interacting with something tends to mark it as 'viewed' or 'visited' regardless if such actions where meaningfully done.

Example 1: I can open a link in a new tab in my browser and then just close that tab. Should that link know that I never actually looked at that tab?
Example 2: With email as soon as you 'open' it most clients mark it as read, but that doesn't mean you read the entire email. You could have just read the first two lines and decided to deal with it later. Should the email client mark the email as unread because you didn't scroll enough or spend enough time looking at for it to think you read the entire thing?

Dex-chan lover
RogueKitsune gets it.

Name one site that uses a 'last page indicator' or something of the sort. I'll wait.

And if you actually do find one, I'll ask you to name a second. And so on and so forth.

Also,
if i pick up a newspaper and read the headline on the front page; have i read the newspaper?

Aggregator gang
> this could happen if you accidentally go back a chapter to a chapter you didn't read, (so you see the spoiler warning, and go to teh previous chapter instead, but turns out you didn't realize you missed a few chapter, it'll be the same as the current version ofc (because it's on open), but it can happen).

say your progress is at ch.20 and ch.22 is released and you view it and accidentally go back to ch.21 so the reading progress updates to ch.21 even though you only loaded the last page?
as you said this would be an issue with both systems and should be fixed in either case.

> anyways, as for my situation, what is this "moving away from last page", because as far as i know, websites dont track go back inputs, only actual inputs, so "going back from the last page" seems to vague, and if it is on accessing the last page, then we have the situation above.
> another thing: how exactly does this work with longstrip mode, because pages and chapters are weirder with that (using go back in longstrip brings you all the way back outside the reader, something i find really helpful (because of the thing i do), but some weird scrolling can happen, or the last page doesn't register because it's too small (some small credit pages dont get read by the read sometimes), which again, complicates things)

You can detect what is rendered in your browser window which is how this trigger would work.

> one reason i like the current system: because of the lack of mass marking, i can just do next chapter a bunch and it'll mark it all as read.

IIRC this is a goal in the sticky so that shouldn't be an issue for too long (i hope).

> another other thing: some people use the next chapter button to skip credit pages (i did that once or twice with LH translations, because i know they dont have joke pages i might want to read, so easier to click once than 3 times), so how would that work?

Clicking "next" while in a chapter could override the last page trigger and update on "next" as well, or the trigger could be on the 2nd to last page, or 3rd to last page, whatever makes most sense with the broad reading habits of the user base.

> tldr: not worth the effort to implement a check for this last page thing, different things could affect it. and also, I'd say if you opened something, it's considered read, just like how if you open your messenger app, it marks everything as read, even if you didn't start reading yet (like discord, the moment you can't scroll down, it removed the unread, even if i didn't finish reading everything)

If every chapter was a single page i would agree with you.

> I think the arguments being made against this boil down to the fact that viewing the last page is just as an arbitrary trigger for marking a chapter read as viewing the first page.

It's exactly the opposite of arbitrary.
Reading the first page of a chapter is not as indicative of having read said chapter as reading the last page is.

> The internet at large already has a precedent of interacting with something tends to mark it as 'viewed' or 'visited' regardless if such actions where meaningfully done.
> Example 1: I can open a link in a new tab in my browser and then just close that tab. Should that link know that I never actually looked at that tab?
> Example 2: With email as soon as you 'open' it most clients mark it as read, but that doesn't mean you read the entire email. You could have just read the first two lines and decided to deal with it later. Should the email client mark the email as unread because you didn't scroll enough or spend enough time looking at for it to think you read the entire thing?

If every chapter was a single page i would agree with you.

> Name one site that uses a 'last page indicator' or something of the sort. I'll wait.

I really only use Mangadex and scanlator sites but i'll give you other examples.

I would guess Tachiyomi is the most used/relevant mobile viewing portal for manga, and they update on last page.

I'll also give a comparison to video services where something isn't considered watched until you've viewed the entire thing (or like 95% in some cases or w/e). Now i could be wrong but youtube/netflix/plex all save your progress in a video and doesn't mark it as "watched" (see "read") until you've finished the vast majority of said video.
i'm sure HBOmax, disney+, apple, etc, etc, all do something similar.

If you want to argue with their system then go ahead.

"Bookmark progress to jump to left-off point instead of next unread chapter" is also something in the sticky which seems to "remember" where you left off in a chapter and i would assume that would change to my system by default. since it would remember where you stopped reading in a chapter and will not mark it as read. Same system that Tachiyomi and its forks have.

> if i pick up a newspaper and read the headline on the front page; have i read the newspaper?
> how and/or why would this situation ever occur?

You're telling me people don't pick up a newspaper and just read the headline?

should i make it more relevant to today and say:
If i navigate to an article and i read only the headline; have i read the article?

ok, this has just blown up.

to start it off you said here that:

>Currently the reading progress gets updated as soon as a chapter is opened when it should ideally be updated when the chapter is completed i.e navigating away from the last page.

>in the sticky under miscellaneous "Sync read markers with progress tracker" also seem to indicate that the reading progress should reflect that the actual chapter should be read before being added to the progress.

since you seem to agree with what was already planned in the sticky, then I think there was no need in the first place to make this thread. imo.

Dex-chan lover
@Mammoth
While my response was more tongue in cheek, thanks for bringing up examples I guess.

I still don't think it's a worthwhile addition. Same with page progress inside a chapter. And idk how it would affect the load on the servers (if at all), but I'm sure devs could expand on that.

Also, please learn how to @ people (and quote them). Your account is >3 years old and you already know how to bold.

@_Captain_Kernel_
Pretty sure "Sync read markers with progress tracker" is solely for the 'Reading progress' row on a manga's page (which doesn't have a perfect syncing system currently). It doesn't mean adding 'page progress inside chapters'.

Dex-chan lover
> say your progress is at ch.20 and ch.22 is released and you view it and accidentally go back to ch.21 so the reading progress updates to ch.21 even though you only loaded the last page?
as you said this would be an issue with both systems and should be fixed in either case.

I mentioned this as a reason why overcomplication is gonna appear when you decide to do smt with more conditions (less consistent), anyways, this example is not a great one, because if this is indeed the case, if you're going back, you're gonna read the chapter anyways.

> Clicking "next" while in a chapter could override the last page trigger and update on "next" as well, or the trigger could be on the 2nd to last page, or 3rd to last page, whatever makes most sense with the broad reading habits of the user base.

what about me not finishing the chapter (dont scroll to last page), then clicking on the follows button to go back to follows page (i do this all the time on LH releases)? again too many edge cases

> You can detect what is rendered in your browser window which is how this trigger would work.

A constant check every time you turn the page would be not very good (takes more checks and stuff), and detecting going to a page does take more than checking if you clicked a chapter link (the current system), which im p sure with everything going on, we dont want the db to be doing (then again, i dont know webdesign, only normal code), this would also involve knowing the size of each chapter you're on, having edge conditions for the change chapter, single pages, etc.

> > (like discord, the moment you can't scroll down, it removed the unread, even if i didn't finish reading everything)
> If every chapter was a single page i would agree with you.

if every discord unread was a single message, i would agree with you, i just like the, if you opened it, welp, now you gotta read it

> I'll also give a comparison to video services where something isn't considered watched until you've viewed the entire thing (or like 95% in some cases or w/e). Now i could be wrong but youtube/netflix/plex all save your progress in a video and doesn't mark it as "watched" (see "read") until you've finished the vast majority of said video.
i'm sure HBOmax, disney+, apple, etc, etc, all do something similar.

if i remember correctly, youtube just marks as watched and then has a bar showing your progress, i dont know about the rest. i do know that crunchyroll doesn't really use a read system, but jsut checks where you last left in the video, and if it's x% away from the end, it considers it "done". but it does mark it as "watched" because you started watching ("watched" and "read" dont always have to mean insertword has been fully insertword)

this message was written in a weird order, so it might be read weird, anyways, here's my response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread