Reading progress should be updated AFTER completing a chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aggregator gang
Currently the reading progress gets updated as soon as a chapter is opened when it should ideally be updated when the chapter is completed i.e navigating away from the last page.

EDIT:
My reasoning is that "reading progress" seems to imply "i've read up to and including this chapter".
I would suggest that the trigger be placed when the last page of the chapter is loaded on-screen which would better indicate that you have read that chapter.
Just opening the chapter doesn't seem to fit the criteria of "read" in my opinion.

in the sticky under miscellaneous "Sync read markers with progress tracker" also seem to indicate that the reading progress should reflect that the actual chapter should be read before being added to the progress.

Contributor
4Whgdjf.gif

Aggregator gang
It makes no sense to update your reading progress if you haven't actually read the chapter.

am i crazy?

Double-page supporter
> am i crazy?
yes

> It makes no sense to update your reading progress if you haven't actually read the chapter.
What if every chapter is single page chapter with 10 credit pages after that one page?
What if for whatever reason I'm not actually interested in reading it? It may be dozens different reazons. I open chapter, I see I'm not interested in reading it so I instantly "read" it by hitting "next chapter" button.

Aggregator gang
whether it's consistent or not is not the issue.

currently the reading progress does not always show your actual reading progress.

Changing the trigger from opening the chapter to navigating away from the last page of the chapter is more indicative of having read that chapter.

Just because you've opened the chapter doesn't mean that you're going to finish the chapter.

It's more likely that you've actually read the entire chapter if you navigate away from the last page. hence the trigger should be changed to be more accurate

Aggregator gang
> What if it's single page chapter with 10 credit pages after that one page?
I have never seen a release with more than 2-3 credits pages and i see no reason why or how you could know that the last 10 pages are just credits.
I would hope that situation would fall under rule 3.2.7 as well.

> What if for whatever reason I'm not actually interested in reading it? It may be dozens different reazons. I open chapter, I see I'm not interested in reading it so I instantly "read" it by hitting "next chapter" button
Sure. hitting the "next" button would also update your reading progress, i'm fine with that.

the thing is the reading progress is only supposed to show whether you've seen the chapter or not, so in the case that you have opened the chapter it shows you've seen it, it isn't an indicator of whether you've actually read it or not, since that isn't consistent. Sometimes you may only read the first few pages then forget about it or you might scroll down to the last page just to check something. Also even if the trigger was set to after the user navigates away from the last page, that still isn't indicative of whether I've read the chapter or not, the current system is not only consistent but it is also the most logical, since after you open a chapter there are many variables that can change, it's better for the trigger to be as soon as the chapter is opened for it to be standardized.

Moreover there is the option to mark as unread, so in case you haven't read that chapter just mark it as unread, no damage done.

Double-page supporter
You suggest to create overcomplicated system that would update progres on 100 different "events". Why if simple system that works on single event is working fine? Just because you don't like it? Grow up :)

Aggregator gang
> the thing is the reading progress is only supposed to show whether you've seen the chapter or not, so in the case that you have opened the chapter it shows you've seen it, it isn't an indicator of whether you've actually read it or not, since that isn't consistent. Sometimes you may only read the first few pages then forget about it or you might scroll down to the last page just to check something. Also even if the trigger was set to after the user navigates away from the last page, that still isn't indicative of whether I've read the chapter or not, the current system is not only consistent but it is also the most logical, since after you open a chapter there are many variables that can change, it's better for the trigger to be as soon as the chapter is opened for it to be standardized.

> Moreover there is the option to mark as unread, so in case you haven't read that chapter just mark it as unread, no damage done.

So "reading progress" actually means "i have at least opened chapter X"?
Sticky has an entry that wants to sync the "reading progress" with the "mark as read" mark, so i assume reading progress would actually mean you've read the chapter still.

> You suggest to create overcomplicated system that would update progres on 100 different "events". Why if simple system that works on single event is working fine? Just because you don't like it? Grow up :)

There are exactly two situations that can happen when reaching the last page.
1. navigating to any other page
2. closing the tab/browser
Both of which could be condensed into one event: update progress when the last page is on-screen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

and i never said it wasn't working, i said it was inaccurate.

Double-page supporter
You are too fixated on "last page". There's many other situations. While "mark it read when opened" is simple and working even if it's "inaccurate" in some opinions.

Aggregator gang
if i pick up a newspaper and read the headline on the front page; have i read the newspaper?

Double-page supporter
If I pick up a newspaper and read everything but one single-line advertisment; have i read the newspaper?

Where would you draw a line?

Group Leader
To me, the reading progress feature is like the seen feature in messaging app. Doesn't really matter whether you actually had read the message or not, the app will note that you have seen it if you have open it.

Aggregator gang
> If I pick up a newspaper and read everything but one single-line advertisment; have i read the newspaper?
> Where would you draw a line?

The only pages you see in a chapter is the pages that the scanlator group wants you to see.
if they are such a distraction for you i would suggest you read uncredited chapters at an aggregator and not support their work.

> To me, the reading progress feature is like the seen feature in messaging app. Doesn't really matter whether you actually had read the message or not, the app will note that you have seen it if you have open it.

If this is the distinction then i would agree that the current system works as it should.
if my interpretation of "reading progress" meaning "i have read up to and including this chapter" is incorrect, then so be it.

Double-page supporter
> The only pages you see in a chapter is the pages that the scanlator group wants you to see.
> if they are such a distraction for you i would suggest you read uncredited chapters at an aggregator and not support their work.

The reason reading progress works this way is because devs want it to work this way.
If it's such inconvenience for you I would suggest you read manga at an aggregator where it works the way you want.

See, it works both ways :D

Aggregator gang
> The reason reading progress works this way is because devs want it to work this way.

And i'm trying to change their minds.

If what you're saying is true of course and it's not just an oversight.

Double-page supporter
I will admit only automatically marking chapters as read after reaching the last page would make more sense, but I already got used to how things work currently so I don't care too much about it anymore.

So. . . +0.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread