Rebuild World - Ch. 53

honestly, don't bother uploading if you're going to half ass the translation.

Supporter
As a group leader doing scanlation for the last 9 years for 110 series and 2000+ releases. This chapter sucks. The proofreading is really bad. You are right that we do it so people can read something and enjoy it but that does not mean you can set a normal quality. In the end I want to have people like to read the work but also have a fun time and not have a giant shit to read.

Too many people half ass stuff that can be great for no reason then to be lazy. Stuff like this need to be fixed by the PR and at least the QC. Even if something is free you can at least expect a decent read not this.
To me, you're among the only ones here who has the right to complain. Because you actually do this job and you can rightly consider that a half-assed job like this will give a bad reputation on the work of the volunteers and kill the chance of a good work to be better known. But not the ones who are lazily reading stuff doing nothing.

Double-page supporter
Thanks for the translation.
You guys are so spoiled. You get free translations doing nothing, you probably never buy the official releases and you still complain?
Get a life, jeez.
I have done scanlation for several languages, it being free is irrelevant as most of the time is just a labour of love, wanting to share a manga you like with other people. And as such, a standard of quality should be expected.
When you’re half-assing a release, as is the case here, you definitely don’t respect the manga anymore and, in all honesty, should just drop it or look for another group willing to take it.

Supporter
Since the discussion got forth and back and forth and back, i will also give my 2 cents in addition to my previous post.
To all thoose "people who spend quite a bit of their free time and a good amount of energy to provide you with a work they will gain nothing from"....i got news for you....the TL's GET PAID FOR THEIR WORK.
That why they have a damn patreon-sys, so they can collect donations that are used to pay the staff; so at the end of the day your arguments are so invalid as it can be...
I've seen at least twice translators that claim they were doing this one their free time, not being paid at all. So what you say is not general at all.

Supporter
I have done scanlation for several languages, it being free is irrelevant as most of the time is just a labour of love, wanting to share a manga you like with other people. And as such, a standard of quality should be expected.
When you’re half-assing a release, as is the case here, you definitely don’t respect the manga anymore and, in all honesty, should just drop it or look for another group willing to take it.
As I said to Eeliejun, all the ones to do this job perfectly are legitimate to complain in my view, just not the ones who do nothing. As for respecting the author, I agree with you on the principle, although for some mangas I want to read which seem dropped, I would prefer an half-assed translation to no translation at all.

Dex-chan lover
Shopping date with two hot ladies while killing monsters along the way.

So this informant lady basically spreading a lot of different info to make a chaos as a smokescreen for the real entrance? For who? Herself? Or Akira?
Herself, she is one of those Pain is the Ass type of person.

As I said to Eeliejun, all the ones to do this job perfectly are legitimate to complain in my view, just not the ones who do nothing. As for respecting the author, I agree with you on the principle, although for some mangas I want to read which seem dropped, I would prefer an half-assed translation to no translation at all.
So what you have done to gives you the right to complain over people complaining? At least people who complain is giving feedbacks and all you're doing is just complaining. I've released some chapters myself, incase you're asking.

Double-page supporter
I will agree with you that the ones who do translation work have a higher weight to their criticisms. But there's a problem with your logic. Let's use the analogy of cooking.

Me and everybody else don't have to know how to cook or have worked as a cook to tell someone that the food they made tastes bad. It is not being entitled or being spoiled. It's called criticism. If a chef walks up and says the food is shit too, that is also criticism. They are all legitimate criticisms. And if your argument is going to be, "You guys aren't paying for it and they are doing this on their own free time so you shouldn't complain about the quality. Half-assed is better than none.", then are you going to say that people who don't know how to cook cannot complain about the food served by their own friend at a party because they didn't pay for it and the friend cooked it on their own free time?

Dex-chan lover
Both Nyanu Kafe and manga galaxy @Gravity don't snipe. I know Buss, I asked him if NyanuKafe can take it, and if he says yes, we'll take over, otherwise it's difficult.
I've never supported the whole "sniping" concept, and for good reason; that was born out of groups like Jaimini's Box who wanted to be sole controllers of output regarding a particular work, for income purposes, orientated around the concept of copyright at its core ("This is only mine to do until X time passes"). Everyone should feel free to do their own version and share it freely. :/

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation.
You guys are so spoiled. You get free translations doing nothing, you probably never buy the official releases and you still complain?
Get a life, jeez.
Ho no! you spoted all of us! Yeah right, no one on Mangadex ever brough a single Manga or LN in their entire live, nor did we ever buy any goodies from our favorite IP... It's realy well know that we are the kind of people who dont have any random goodies everywhere in our house...

It's illarious how you still dare to say "get a life" to other after simping like a 40y/o virgin on only fan...

Here, we're talking about people who spend quite a bit of their free time and a good amount of energy to provide you with a work they will gain nothing from, except the pleasure to have something they like read by more people.
They gain nothing? You mean that today we are swarmed by shitty MTL and hoarder that spam link and other shit to beg for money while not even buying the original material, meaning they make money from someone else work, and you're telling us that ALL of them do it for pleasure?

All the team that TL because they are fan have a realy good quality. Actualy they have the best quality out there, and none of them ever release anything unreadable (beside april's 1st), simply because they respect the author's work. Even people who start out and are bad at either English or Japanese actualy put a lot of a work to make their chapter at least decent.

If i knew you IRL i would freely pee on your face. And by your logic you would not be allowed to complain, because i did it happily and for free... What a stupid logic you have.

Supporter
I will agree with you that the ones who do translation work have a higher weight to their criticisms. But there's a problem with your logic. Let's use the analogy of cooking.

Me and everybody else don't have to know how to cook or have worked as a cook to tell someone that the food they made tastes bad. It is not being entitled or being spoiled. It's called criticism. If a chef walks up and says the food is shit too, that is also criticism. They are all legitimate criticisms. And if your argument is going to be, "You guys aren't paying for it and they are doing this on their own free time so you shouldn't complain about the quality. Half-assed is better than none.", then are you going to say that people who don't know how to cook cannot complain about the food served by their own friend at a party because they didn't pay for it and the friend cooked it on their own free time?
It just depend on the way you say it. If you say to your friend as a joke: " Sorry pal, but you should let the cooking to someone else" or "When you do that dish, you should do this or that", that would be fine. But if you say "That's crap. Redo it", your friend will legitimately consider that you're a rude bastard and will be hurt, don't you agree?
Reread all the comments here. None were constructive or even polite.

Supporter
So what you have done to gives you the right to complain over people complaining? At least people who complain is giving feedbacks and all you're doing is just complaining. I've released some chapters myself, incase you're asking.
People who just posted "That's trash" did not do any work nor made any constructive comments. If you fail to see the difference, there's nothing to discuss.

Dex-chan lover
I've never supported the whole "sniping" concept, and for good reason; that was born out of groups like Jaimini's Box who wanted to be sole controllers of output regarding a particular work, for income purposes, orientated around the concept of copyright at its core ("This is only mine to do until X time passes"). Everyone should feel free to do their own version and share it freely. :/

The entire idea of "snipe" should not even exist. No one here own these things, no one has any right to it, and the people who gain money from it have even less right than other.
Since people started getting paid for TL the quality continuously dropped.
Then came the shitty group that hoard chapter and use this stupid "you cant snipe if there is not a 3 month periode between chapter."
It Worsened again when people started to cut weekly chapter in 4 then release one part every two or three month.

Like you said, everyone should just translate what they want, it should be no issue that there is already a translation as long as the new dude are not toxic toward other. If people stopped this entire stupidity of "dont snipe" everythings would start to improve.

Group Leader
The entire idea of "snipe" should not even exist. No one here own these things, no one has any right to it, and the people who gain money from it have even less right than other.
Then came the shitty group that hoard chapter and use this stupid "you cant snipe if there is not a 3 month periode between chapter."
It Worsened again when people started to cut weekly chapter in 4 then release one part every two or three month.

Like you said, everyone should just translate what they want, it should be no issue that there is already a translation as long as the new dude are not toxic toward other. If people stopped this entire stupidity of "dont snipe" everythings would start to improve.

Sniping isn't just some sort of honor system. It was actually a thing old groups used to make sure that they did not end up doing double work. No sniping meant groups were spread out more, and more mangas got translated. The problem are these groups that are out to earn. They get a ton of money and use the sniping code to prevent others from doing anything.

But there are some groups that are countering this. They find a manga that is being under translated by a group that has a Patreon earning and hoarding chapters, and just release so many new chapters of higher quality that they bury the previous group. Honestly, if I had the team to pick up Rebuild World, I would be doing this too.

Dex-chan lover

The idea of sniping absolutely should exist. If two groups are translating something to roughly the same quality, whoever gets it out first wasted the time of the other group. Having your time and effort wasted like that sucks, especially since a ton of people read the first and fastest translation then ignore slower ones. There's essentially 2 ways the sniped group can do something about it:
1) Produce a lower-quality translation faster, to waste the other group's time, or
2) Stop translating and spend their time elsewhere, possibly giving up entirely
Neither of these are good outcomes. The "No sniping" system means that more manga gets translated at a higher quality because there's less wasted effort between groups.

You are correct that a group does not have a god-given right to exclusively translate a series and that anyone else translating the same material is committing an unforgivable act of rebellion against the divine mandates. But the idea of sniping still needs to exist AND people should be viewed poorly if they snipe, because otherwise translation as a whole will suffer.

You need to consider the second-order effects of things, man. The honor system came about for a reason. If you get rid of it like you're suggesting, you'll briefly see a handful of low-quality TLs improve slightly before the entire fan translation scene gets drowned out by duwang-level machine translations that did it fastest.

Double-page supporter
It just depend on the way you say it. If you say to your friend as a joke: " Sorry pal, but you should let the cooking to someone else" or "When you do that dish, you should do this or that", that would be fine. But if you say "That's crap. Redo it", your friend will legitimately consider that you're a rude bastard and will be hurt, don't you agree?
Reread all the comments here. None were constructive or even polite.
Sorry in advance for the long long comment.

Right. So your complaints were for the tone of the criticisms and that they were non-constructive then. Let's tackle them one at a time. And I will also go back to my analogy of cooking because I think it has a lot of parallels.

I do agree that a lot of the comments here are overly harsh but policing the tone of comments will not achieve much especially if they don't break any rules here. The most anyone can do is group them all into one and agree that the translations are bad. We can't change how people are going to want to talk, especially on the internet. Ignoring or condemning them is not the path to take because all you'll be doing is provoking them to escalate the behaviour, whether intentionally or not. We've seen this happen too many times already that a different approach needs to be taken when dealing with these criticisms.

On the non-constructive part, most people here, if not all, have a basic understanding of English and have a rather high consumption of the media so we know when the English doesn't read right. We may not know how to fix things because not everyone here does translation work so the most we can say is that the translation reads quite badly and that the typesetting needs work. And that's what some comments here are saying, even without a translating background.

Let's say that there is a monthly gathering for hundreds of people to eat roast chicken organised by a person or group. Each month people would eat and discuss what they've eaten. Some paid/donated to the organiser while most don't. Most, if not all, also don't know how to cook but have eaten a lot of chicken at past gatherings. At the most recent gathering, the chicken tastes bad. In previous gatherings, there have been slight variations in seasonings, sides, technique etc... but the chicken has always been average and edible at worst, until now. It could be that the kitchen staff was changed but the organiser remains the same. Since there are hundreds at this gathering, a lot of them are bound to be brash with their criticisms but, with no cooking background, they won't be able to tell you where things are wrong or how to fix it. Some might even be rude but there are no rules against that at the gathering. The chefs in attendance are more constructive and their profession lends more weight to their criticisms but they are the same criticism: the chicken tastes bad. There are some who are polite and some who even appreciate the fact that there's even food and thank the efforts by the staff and organiser. It would be nice if everyone was polite but there are hundreds in attendance so it is impossible to control everyone. So the question is: how do we go forward from here? Regardless of the tone or the non-constructive criticisms, everyone is still sitting with the bad chicken in front of them. Ignoring the rude, non-constructive criticisms will make them yell louder to be heard and condemning them will make them think the organiser is actively ignoring them. Sure, the organiser has no obligation to do anything. They might not even be listening because for all the attendees know they might have packed up and gone home. But that is what this gathering is for: a discussion. And that is what everyone is doing albeit some being harsher than others.

Double-page supporter
Reading the drama here was slightly more amusing than the chapter. Understandable considering the type of chapter and the quality of the PR & QC.

Regarding the chapter itself, are those dead guys from one of the groups that appeared earlier in the chapter? Was under the impression that everything was happening at roughly the same time.

I see other people were having trouble reading some of this too I got confused for a bit because some of the text didn’t make much sense.

I’m finally caught up now though. Started reading in September 2023 but now I get to enjoy the fun of suffering waiting for a new chapter every month like everyone else 😭

Users who are viewing this thread