Rebuild World - Vol. 9 Ch. 42

Screen_Shot_2023-01-30_at_8.23.39_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-01-30_at_8.24.00_PM.png

Shizuka now realizing it after hugging Akira multiple times lol.

Fed-Kun's army
I did like this part because it shows Akira is different then most prot. He and Sheryl are both heavily traumatized by their experience at such a young age which effects their decision making. He just doesn't take shit from anybody because he's afraid he will get perceived as weak again which would result in people messing with him. Don't forget that Akira gets target by other thiefs in the WN because he considered an easy mark after this happened. So that's the reason Akira goes to the extreme's he does.
I don't have the problem with that idea but how it is executed. If the author wants to show Akira's trauma, they can introduce a powerful character/villan that steal from our MC and it will be way more enjoyable to root for Akira to kill him than a little girl trying to survice in the slum

I don't have the problem with that idea but how it is executed. If the author wants to show Akira's trauma, they can introduce a powerful character/villan that steal from our MC and it will be way more enjoyable to root for Akira to kill him than a little girl trying to survice in the slum
I think you would be a terrible writer then. Because why would a powerful character or villain steal what is practically chump change for the more powerful characters in this world (If I remember the WN correctly she stole like 10.000 Aurum or something)? The people that would resort to stealing money from hunters would have to be either other hunters (but we already had to those villain early on) that are desperate for money because of debts, them thinking its easy pay day or something similar. The only other ppl would be kids/adults that are trying to survive. But as the premise of the book makes clear most adults are either hunters / merchants or part of a gang (im talking about ppl around the slums and outer side of the city). The rest are just young kids that are mostly thief's. Based on your post though it seems to me that you just don't like our protag Akira killing a weak little girl. But personally I like it because its in the tone of the story / setting of Rebuild World which is a eat or be eating kind of world. And showing weakness or making the wrong decision is asking to be killed or taken advantage of.

Dex-chan lover
I think you would be a terrible writer then. Because why would a powerful character or villain steal what is practically chump change for the more powerful characters in this world (If I remember the WN correctly she stole like 10.000 Aurum or something)? The people that would resort to stealing money from hunters would have to be either other hunters (but we already had to those villain early on) that are desperate for money because of debts, them thinking its easy pay day or something similar. The only other ppl would be kids/adults that are trying to survive. But as the premise of the book makes clear most adults are either hunters / merchants or part of a gang (im talking about ppl around the slums and outer side of the city). The rest are just young kids that are mostly thief's. Based on your post though it seems to me that you just don't like our protag Akira killing a weak little girl. But personally I like it because its in the tone of the story / setting of Rebuild World which is a eat or be eating kind of world. And showing weakness or making the wrong decision is asking to be killed or taken advantage of.
I mean they could have thought Akira had way more money in his wallet, there are ways to write it. By having it murdering a smol young female thief over said chump change it does more then just seem overkill. It can make many (and I mean many) readers lose any sympathy/rooting for the MC.

Theres a reason the LN changed it cause an editor would have seen that and gone "Yeah no change that, it's too dark and will turn readers off" easy fix would be to make the thief a real villain maybe even one of the people that wronged him in the past like that smarmy guy. Then people wouldn't have as much if any issue with it. When you make the victim someone who was like Akira and a young girl just trying to get food money it just comes off major overkill.

Fed-Kun's army
When I say steal I don't mean literally steal the same amount of money of that girl. I mean that that person steal a value thing from Akira like relic, artifact or a reward money for a mission for example. The location may be in the ruin, wastland, etc. There are a bunch of scenerios and situation for the author to create and not just stealing some chump charge by a kid. The more value the ting the more reason we have to kill that person

Theres a reason the LN changed it cause an editor would have seen that and gone "Yeah no change that, it's too dark and will turn readers off" easy fix would be to make the thief a real villain maybe even one of the people that wronged him in the past like that smarmy guy. Then people wouldn't have as much if any issue with it. When you make the victim someone who was like Akira and a young girl just trying to get food money it just comes off major overkill.
Then we are still coming back to what I stated before which is that people like yourself and the OG poster that I quoted (which are considered the "mainstream audience") do not like seeing this. And as such they amended it because they knew a bigger audience wouldn't like it. Doesn't change the fact its pretty inline with our protagonist personality and the world this is set in. You just don't like seeing your protag kill a little girl its a simple as that.

Dex-chan lover
Then we are still coming back to what I stated before which is that people like yourself and the OG poster that I quoted (which are considered the "mainstream audience") do not like seeing this. And as such they amended it because they knew a bigger audience wouldn't like it. Doesn't change the fact its pretty inline with our protagonist personality and the world this is set in. You just don't like seeing your protag kill a little girl its a simple as that.
If it was a little girl that tried to kill him I'd care less he offed her, the problem is it's over chump change and if it happened and I was reading that for the first time I'd be like "Whelp I'm done with this series the MC is irredeemable in my eyes" it doesn't matter if later he realises he did wrong cause actions cannot be undone.

Dex-chan lover
Yes, it's not about the author's world, it's about common sense. "terrible writer" is just about the original version, where there is no dilemma or weight of villainy.

It would have been a different story if the thief just had come to Sheryl and he had shot her (though then why is she in the story at all) , but he spent a lot of money on it and risked his stupid head in the warzone.

Aww i wanted that scene with the onee-sans in the shop trying to convince Akira and not believing i him...and he goes dead inside, really great scene in the WN.
Honestly I think the arc was really great and showed Akira's immaturity and pettiness and how he can't really explain it, but he has his own ego and won't back down from his weakness while also believing in a vague concept like karma as he knows he's doing the "wrong" things, and hence he tries to do some good too while not really knowing what are "good" deeds anyways. Also it sets up and foreshadows Kazuya's charm aura thing too.
I think it was really nuanced aside all the crazy action, and I liked the character development and how he started to slowly detach from the onee-sans at that point if I remember correctly.
Havent read the LN...so I hope this will be as good as WN since they dropped this arc, maybe they will do the whole rivalry thing with Kazuya in another way I guess. If she doesn't die in the LN then I'd assume Kazuya doesn't die the same way LOL

Double-page supporter
Holy shit I'm glad they changed this part. He actually killed Lucia in the Web novel and I think he's frankly overreacting with what she did.

I just read the novel and this incident doesn't get resolved this easily in the novel and it caused a huge domino effect on the story later.

Dex-chan lover
Sweet heavenly karma thief "returned" the money but potentially now will join the gang and have security maybe since she did it cause what else can you do as a powerless orphan in that shithole.
i have no clue why i hate on thieves more than killers sometimes maybe cause thieves(annoying inventory managment/potential of important items) in video games are more annoying than just random enemies(aka free loot)

his face when he got the money back tho awwwwwwww (^ v^)

wow, the TL was pretty shit and misleading in this chapter compared to the last 41

Users who are viewing this thread