Record of Ragnarok - Vol. 5 Ch. 21 - The Essence Of A Gentleman

Dex-chan lover
100 million copies sold?

BULLSHIT! This awesome manga easily sold 200 million.

Fed-Kun's army
@Jergens @zerogrv ah, I meant IRL, should had clarify that better. Both of them being killed because they lack brain (LuBu by pretty much any other generals) and being played (Kojiro by Musashi).
Honestly, in mythology, human won against the gods mostly due to brain, not brawl. But I guess this is a fighting manga mostly so...

Dex-chan lover
I do wonder where he got the giant scissors from. Were they just lying around? How'd he get so proficient in wielding them?

Double-page supporter
@qayin I said you are a bitch. Your inability to read has nothing to do with my competency in the English language.

@Flashplayer0CD do you always sperg out that much when someone has a different opinion from yours? Because *that* makes you look like a bitch - that and the initial typing like an underaged retard.

Jack is a bad meme choice, and there's no amount of sperging that'll change that. I had my thoughts and feelings about it and provided some manner of argument to back them up.

Jack is the farthest individual from being a good representative of humanity's malice. Slicing and dicing 4-5 prostitutes hardly compares to the likes of Ted Bundy, Ed Gein, John Wayne Gacy and all famous ones. Even "meme" ones like Erzsebet Bathory would have been a better choice - killing young girls to drain their blood and bathing in it to remain forever young seems a lot more vicious.

If we go by sheer numbers, actual malice and brutality south american serial killers like La Bestia and The Andes Monster make Jack look like you - a sperging little boy. They killed and raped 300 something children - so you have mass murdering, raping, pedophiles and torturers. All in one package. And the victims were actual pure innocents unlike street hookers.

Double-page supporter
@Qayin damn bro you really be reading into this shit too much. You out here typing away at your keyboard over some comments. Bruh calm down lol.

Dex-chan lover
WUT, why is jack the ripper a steampunk gentleman now? :D.

@Qayin indeed, the choice of jack the ripper is utter shit, he doesn't even tip the scale, ¿you want malice?, go chose a japanese general in nanking around ww2 (but shit would hit the fan the manga would get canned instantly). Want more malice, put mengele in(or you get your pick of SS butchers), that would be terrifying, want more modern?, that serbian general from the bosnian war can't recall the name...

the author and editor really missed the ball here

@Eliminateur It's only me or most of Japanese people praise culture of UK? They always portrait thes as elegant elegant and calmy and shit like Integra Hellsing, but never as a always drunk irish or a starving peasant with bad teeth

Dex-chan lover
@puta indeed it's not only you, there's a high degree of "adoration/idealization" of victorian-era england in japan, it might have to do with the aesthetics and probably the admiral perry blockade had something to do with it being as their first "contact"(forced albeit) was with a english fleet.

jajajaj indeed i've never seen them portrayed as potato-starved famine-jockeys in any anime/manga

Dex-chan lover
To all those complaining about the matchup, I get what you're saying but just think about the rest of the lineup we have to go. I feel like this manga is working on pseudo-Fate rules. There are definitely more fitting villains in history to encompass malice, but if you asked any of the western or eastern populace who they know more about, Jack the Ripper or anyone that @Eliminateur mentioned, more likely than not ole Jackie is gonna have more notoriety. It's not how much they fit but how much the main audience of the manga would like to see them fight.

@dArkus_Orion @Eliminateur @Qayin I think it's great because it isn't Jack the Ripper himself that is important it's what he symbolizes. I mean London was so freaked out they started to assume every murder was this guy. And that's the thing it's like the serial killers themselves sprouted out of Jack The Ripper and that's why they're using him to show evil. I mean yeah you could use fucking Hitler but would that be any fun? Not really. The point is how cool you can make them seem. Like Adam wasn't some fucking awesome blonde boi who was the best dad in existence but does that make it any less cool? Jack The Ripper works because you can do the most with his character because he's sort of a blank slate for no one knows who he really was or what he was like.

Dex-chan lover
@SanelessHatter while I get what you mean, that doesn't work with Heracles. The Greek "heroes" weren't a bunch of upstanding guys that symbolized justice and all. They were just really strong monster slayers that were descendants of the divine. Most were actually really bad people by today's standards. Since he's the one in the fight, let's use Heracles as an example. Ignoring the murders of his family that Hera drove him to commit, Heracles went to rape and pillage other women and cities after his labors, since he was all done with his monster slaying. Heracles doesn't do stuff for "justice and "righteousness," but rather because he is strong as all hell and can do anything he wants, save for attack the gods. If they wanted to go with a theme like "justice," they would have used a different deity, like Astrea. That, however, wouldn't be as cool.

Heracles isn't there to be a Mediterranian All Might. He's just there cause the author knows what the audience wants.

knowing the flow on the narrative in this manga, I bet the battle between Hercules vs Jack The Ripper won’t be limited to just merely justice vs evil but rather it will go to a full blown questions on morality. What Is Just? What is Evil? Are there Standards? are Standards absolute? Should we give head pats to the Loli? Or should we lewd? Should we really argue in the comment section and impose our ideals and opinion to the author because of his poor choice of characters? Or should we respect the author’s and his editor creative prowess on storytelling and art, and appreciate the work that we leeched and read for free?

Users who are viewing this thread