Release That Witch - Ch. 60 - The End of a King

can't wait to see you guys die in revenge fckers!

you ruined everything in this church!

Dex-chan lover
@HuevoPodrido Do you know any other organization that is not subject to the law and has no oversight?

People noticed that religious organizations can be covers for all sorts of illegal acts after they found out in the real world the Christian churches were covers for pedophiles who sexually assault under age children and protect the pedophiles.

Many other churches for cults as well as recognized religions have been found to be covers for horrendous actions, because it is easy to justify bad things if you have people who will believe anything you say like there is an all powerful being that if you obediently follow us will give you happiness after you die. Many have killed over a promised afterlife and fear of a bad afterlife.

I'm not religious or anything but this stereotype of the church being always the bad guys on such series is boring the shit out of me
whenever any story is related to magic and such there would always be some 'church' guys that are fighting magic users or witches and in the same time using magic themselves
like, come on people
can't you figure something more original than this

Can you hear the sound of the many cannons?

Go Roland, take back the legacy of the Union!

Fed-Kun's army
@vodspod finally someone get it, seeing most people wonder why churches/religion is depicted as evil in fiction gets on my nerve.

Dex-chan lover
@Dorxless : They're not 'evil' per se (enemy to Roland, sure)
What they're trying to do is essentially the same thing as Rome switching to dictatorship to face crisis.

There's just too little time left to prepare so they're going with desperate measure.

Basically every 400 years or so there's an event where Demons (go back and see the things that killed Cara's group) invade.

And the next cycle is about to happen.

That said, some of the outer priests are the same corrupted people that fit the stereotypes.

Eventually when the Church army lost to Roland (the battle is basically almost completely one-sided), one of the survivors who's focused on the goal (humanity's survival) joined Roland and eventually rework the Church into his ally (basically, the corrupted ones ran away, leaving only the low level workers/orphans who knew nothing, so by telling some plausible fake stories, they were able to convinced them that the Church's goal and Roland's now align so they ally)

Not sure why people are surprised about the church being bad in a series based on witch burning. Sure, it's cliche but this is the one series where it should happen so it's fine. Cliche =/= bad.

Dex-chan lover
so the king wasn't a bad person/father, it was just an imposter trying to make the kids kill one another and ruin the kingdom...

@WhimsiCat "they're not evil" he literally just confessed to kidnapping and imprisoning innocent people for god knows what reason not to mention their plan to destroy all the kingdoms through civil wars which will cause tens of thousands of innocents to die... if they weren't evil they could simply have created a holy coalition to fight the demons. they are not saint they are just greedy and using it as an excuse to take over.

Double-page supporter
@WhimsiCat As much as I was against the idea of yet ANOTHER evil church,
church that is 'evil' for the truly greater good is actually interesting. The sort of issue where if you defeat them you fuck yourself unless you're a big enough boy to pick up where they left off and make it work. Even though that should be relatively impossible since they have the power and influence to destroy and unite four kingdoms and completely absorb them into themselves.

@vodspod

Federal Reserve, which isn't even a federal institution, but rather a collection of privately-owned banks who are partially headquartered on foreign soil. The government has no allowance to oversee the Reserve, it controls our dollar and through the Mint produces as much as it likes, controlling inflation and deflation at its whim to alter the socioeconomic values of America to suit its profit and social ideals. Very strong evidence that they've been removing people who obstruct them throughout American history - including a very notable president. Overusing 'church = evil' can easily be replaced with 'usurers = evil' and be more interesting.

Dex-chan lover
@Dorxless Probably because if you look at history you can see that exactly. The first massacre that could be considered a genocide was perpetrated by the church in the form of a crusade to get rid of heretics, they massacred the catholics there also and "left god to sort them out". Then you have the middle ages, the inquisition, the recent pedophilia scandals. Too many atrocities have been performed by the church "in the name of god" throughout history. It's just a corrupt institution, whose primary purpose is to take advantage of gullible people. How is that not evil?

Supporter
@vodspod Overwatch! :D
Nah, in all seriousness I agree with you. What I really meant was that usually the religions portraited in this scenarios are all based on the christian chuch. It is extremely rare to see any other religion used as base.

Dex-chan lover
@criver what in the fuck are you on about? you think the first recorded massacre was by the crusaders? what about Caesar killing 1 million Gauls? how about the Romans invading and exterminating or enslaving the entire population of Cartage and then tore the city down and salted the lands? how about the chinese general Bai Qi who buried 400 000 enemy soldiers alive?

i know it's cool and hip to hate on the church but this is just such a shitty argument

Dex-chan lover
@Nemsu since blood came out of his mouth, i guess he bit off his tongue so he could bleed to death in his already weakened state

The situation around the church in Release that Witch is, at the very, very least, complicated.

-First of all, they were founded by witches with the purpose of uniting mankind under a new government, after the witchcratic system ended up failing to stop the demons in the previous war of the divine will. The original leaders were also witches, who wanted to reduce the standing of normal witches, to have it easier harvesting them and creating new special soldiers.
-They are aware of the existence of a God, but the key members aren't praying to it, and some members sincerely doubt about it's morality.
-Eventually the popes changed to normal humans, and in time, the excuse they used of witches being evil turned into something everyone inside the church actually believed as completely true (To the point that the "pure" witches grew up as crazy fanatics who hated their own kind, ignorant of the truth.
-The purpose of the church is preparing mankind to face the third war of the divine will, sadly, the division of the old witches, plus the fragmentation of governments in the barbarian lands, made it impossible for them to unify mankind in time, by the time the story takes place, they're extremely desperate, because far from being able to fight reliably the demons, even demonic beasts are dire threats to them.
-The harsh reality is that even their main plan, creating an army of judgement soldiers is a failure, since the ritual they use is incomplete.... and made so witches use those bodies.
In the end some of the church members are evil, and some are good, some truly believe in their cause, and some were just taking advantage of the perks of being in power.

Dex-chan lover
Well, corruption is everywhere, but I would say religion tends to gather fanatics and promote blind faith and persecution, since faith is a kind of deep part of a person's personality and identity once a religion is instilled or chosen. I see people (and politicians) telling others to get out of certain countries because they don't follow the main religion of a country. There are also countries in Europe which still have archaic tax laws from the 1700s or 1800s which enforce mandatory taxation that you must pay to the church if you identify yourself as a Christian. I remember a recent news article about Germany, where a court declared that it was unconstitutional to tax Christians but not to tax Muslims, so I think they're going to start enforcing mandatory taxation of Muslims so that all religions are taxed fairly. I wonder which organization gets to receive the collected tax money. Of course, you can lie and mark down on your tax forms that you follow no religion. Then you don't need to pay the religion tax.

Dex-chan lover
*Sigh* Great... The Church wants power, and is willing to use the power they swore that was evil to get it. But their cause is just "Unite the kingdoms into one." but their sight is blind. They will spill the blood of all the innocent just to get what they want.

Users who are viewing this thread