Release That Witch - Ch. 73 - Witch Union

@bk3k

Games. From first hand experience, certain games just don't play well through Wine.

Also my brother is autistic and he definitely doesn't like people using it as an insult, so saying stuff like that isn't helpful. Especially since autistic people get upset more easily than people who aren't, you should be more conscious of the effects of your words.

Double-page supporter
@creamedice
Games. From first hand experience, certain games just don't play well through Wine.
Steam is doing wonders regarding that with Proton. That's increased not only compatibility, their work on shaders has pushed performance up - in some cases "Windows only" titles can run faster on Linux. The modern state of Linux gaming is a lot better than you might think and getting better rapidly.

Also my brother is autistic and he definitely doesn't like people using it as an insult, so saying stuff like that isn't helpful. Especially since autistic people get upset more easily than people who aren't, you should be more conscious of the effects of your words.
Look at that stereotyping all Autistic people as weak! Let me remind you again - You're literally talking to an Autistic person (with ADD and anxiety too). Since I have a lot to say, I'll use a
Autism isn't an excuse for being that weak. And yeah I can also get upset sometimes, but I can deal with it. That's a learned ability.

There is some variance in Autism of course, but here's the bottom line - things being more difficult doesn't mean they're impossible. People - autistic or not - often use handicaps or other adversity as a reason to give up. That means giving up on themselves. I'm autistic, but you know what? I can do anything you can do - sometimes with more hardship - but I CAN DO IT. There might be things I can do easier than you here and there. There is shit - especially social shit - that I am naturally really bad at. Talking like this is a result of being on the computer and not in person. But I can do it even in person, though with more difficulty. I can adapt. What I can't do today, I can do tomorrow as long as I push myself further.

What you don't realize here - you're giving up on your brother to a degree - even though you likely mean well. You think it is okay to remain that weak because he's autistic. He can become stronger, and he'll be far better off for it. All humans need a push sometimes. I see your using kiddy gloves on Autistic people as a direct insult to myself and all autistic people. That's far worse than using Autism as a generic insult - which is merely ignorant. You're looking down on me, and you're looking down on your own brother. It isn't "being understanding." It is coddling and it is deeply unhelpful - in fact actively damaging. He needs to toughen up too - needs to learn to take criticism, insults, etc and roll with the punches of life. Maybe a little at at time, he needs to develop a tolerance to it.

And you know reading your post where you judge the limits of autistic people, I'll admit a bit of rage bubbles up. But I can control it. I can remain cool, and rebut you calmly and rationally. I can handle it. And with some practice, so can your brother. He NEEDS to be desensitized to this shit. You can't function normally in society otherwise.

He isn't going to change overnight. You don't "snap out of" autism, but you can work on it and adapt a little more every day. He can be more tomorrow than he is today, and so forth. But he's gonna need all the people around him to flip their attitude and stop enabling self-defeatism and weakness. He also needs a lot of time in self-reflection. "Why did I think that? Why did I do that? Was that logical? What about next time?" Understanding yourself and your shortfalls is key to self-improvement. And slowly building self confidence. Self confidence is a fucking super power than can overcome a great deal of handicap. It is the complete opposite of self-defeatism. That will build slowly when he starts being able to handle shit he couldn't handle before, and it will accelerate the process.

@bk3k I don't need your permission to not like it when people use that word in that way, regardless of whether or not I'm on the spectrum. I don't want to get into a big fight about it, I don't want to turn this into a huge thing. But you assuming you know my motivations or whether I'm looking down on you is just as bad as someone who assumes other people will be offended by something.

I'm not speaking on the behalf of other people.

I'm not trying to protect anyone.

I personally don't like it. And I don't have to justify that to anyone.

@bk3k Lot of projection and assumptions going on there.

I didn't say he was weak, he's not. He gets frustrated in social situations because he doesn't pick up on social cues, leading to gaps in understanding which he doesn't like, understandably. He still doesn't like people using that word as an insult. It's okay to think you're pushing people to be better, but on that same token you've got to be ready for the consequences of what you say.

My brother read this and he said "He's an ******* for assuming I'm not happy as I am" which honestly blows anything I could have said out of the water. I censored him because theres no real need to spread hostility. What you have to realise is that people don't have to live up to your expectations of how they should be.

Edit:
Also I checked in on the state of Proton and while it seems good at first glance, all of those games that are listed as borked work 100% on Windows. Even big hitters like PUBG don't work, I'd totally understand if 99% of games ran without a hitch or with minor workarounds but to advocate a platform where triple A titles don't work? That's a hard sell, chief. Especially once you consider Uplay games just straight up won't run, which rules out the newest Ghost Recon games which are a tonne of fun with friends, R6 Siege doesn't work, neither does For Honor so thats a dealbreaker. I'm not saying it's not a worthwhile endeavour but its nowhere near mature enough to be worth the switch for the average user and if the average user isn't going to be able to take advantage of it then it's a forgone conclusion really.

Double-page supporter
@creamedice
Good for him if he's happy - if he's really happy. Keep in mind people (autistic or otherwise) do lie to themselves sometimes. You can get used to most any status quo, but is that happiness? I don't think real happiness comes from accepting less than you can be. Perhaps that's just my opinion. Now I'd bet my post at least made him start thinking, even if he isn't in agreement. He isn't required to agree anyhow. You aren't required to censor his statements either - I can handle it. Perhaps you think I can't because I told you I'm Autistic? See? He can call me an asshole if he likes. I'm okay with it. I don't need anyone to use kiddy gloves on me.

What you have to realize is that people don't have to live up to your expectations of how they should be.
Interesting thing to say. I'm telling you that Autistic people don't have to live down to lowered expectations... which subconsciously you're setting for him. As for him, people tend to subconsciously try to match the expectations placed on them. And that's why lowering your expectations is not doing him any favors. On the contrary - everyone (autistic or otherwise) could use a push on the back now and then.

Now that aside, things aren't perfect with Proton, but they are pretty good and getting better at a quick pace. That includes even the lists of "what works and what doesn't" as people often report a game that isn't listed as working actually does. If it hasn't been tested pretty well, it isn't gonna be listed as working. And I suppose like anyone, I only really care about the games I actually play.

As for uPlay... may they never port that particular cancer unto Linux. I'm against exclusivity like that, and against terrible DRM schemes (not that many Steam games don't have them). But that's my opinion. If they're gonna force uPlay down my throat in order to play their game, I guess they don't want my money that badly. There are countless games out there so I'll spend it elsewhere. Other people will merely pirate it. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the pirate versions work better on Linux - with the shitty DRM removed after all. But personally I don't care about that. The games I play already work and I own legit copies.

@bk3k
That's assuming a lot. It also comes across as quite delusional that you think that every autistic person lives some life of mediocrity and lacklustre achievements or unfulfilled ambitions, or something like that.
I dunno where you get that idea and honestly how do you reason with such an ungrounded person I have no idea. Also the censoring was because I believe in civility to an extent which is why I've explained all this instead of dismissing you by saying you have no clue what you're talking about but you're in too deep to pull out and soil the bedspread now. Also cursing at people lessens your persuasiveness as all it does it get them on the defensive.

Either way, if proton isnt a plug and play (which, it is not by anyone's standards. Even the biggest games do not run as advertised for everyone if bug reports are to be believed) then its demonstrably a step down and until it's not, it won't ever be successful, just a pet project. Being honest, if AAA games don't all work at least somewhat then what hope does it have as a serious platform? None, is the answer.

A note on exclusivity, publishers are driven to make money and if their own distribution service pulls in more money than steam then there has to be incentives to use their service instead of the competition. The more these companies compete, the better off we are, as the consumers. I would love it if all games were released on all platforms with no intentions in mind other than making the best game they can but that's not the world we live in, so you're a dumb dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread