Remarried Empress

Hot take.. and this has been a long time coming but im now sure of it.

Im team rashta, sue me.

First of all, yall are hating on a pregnant woman who used to be an ex slave. Yeah she's annoying as hell. Yeah shes hella naive and child-like. Yeah she's outclassed and has an utter lack of skills at court compared to navier. And yeah rashta's irritatingly ambitious now with her scheming.

But this girl's playing the game. She's a not a peasant- she's an EX SLAVE in the nobility - what do you expect from someone trying to survive at court when she's simultaneously got nothing and so much to lose? So what, the ex slave ruined some rich ass duchess's reputation - more power to her. Eat the fucking rich. Goes without explanation that a country with slavery exploits the poor and this kingdom is no different. An ex slave turned the tables on a person hoarding wealth and the story wants us to sympathize with noble Goliath and her marriage troubles? The story shifts us to sympathize with the blackmailing master's daughter, who degrades rashta while mooching on her recently uplifted status - just because the redhead is chummy with Navier? Rovieschu's daughter's A LITERAL SLAVER, who gives a flying fuck if she received a bad dress? More power to rashta for standing up to her previous masters. Whose side would yall have been on in slave narratives?

Obviously, this Manhwa's mc is the empress, a character with a likable personality and easily sympathizable as the cuckolded partner. it's obviously been narrated with bias. But when it comes to cheating, it's important to realize it's 100% the disloyal partner's fault. Sure, you'd hope his mistress would be more empathetic to the betrayed wife, but in this situation, the wife is an empress and rashta is an ex slave. If the slavery in this world is even an ounce similar to the history of slavery in our world, its undeniable there are no rules when it comes to survival, esp. when your life and safety of your descendants are at stake. Annoying or not, rashta has done nothing but just that. She has housed her child, whom she unmistakably misses even if she's in denial about it. She has found a means of income in a patriarchal world where women are expected to be wives more than part of the working class. But go off and laugh that a single mom can't see her own kid because it'd literally jeopardize both their safety and hopes for social uplift. And what is UP with all this shaming of Rashta having had a baby as a slave with her previous master? The story seems to signal that as evidence of how undeserved her rise to power is, instead of how tenuous and temporary her position is *because* of these origins.

Historically, slave-master relationships are rape. It doesn't matter if it was consensual or not. Any relationship with someone who has that much power over you is considered rape under law. Theres a reason that relationships between prison guards and detainees legally constitutes rape today. So yes, rashta is uncompelling and bumbling and flailing and clumsy and stupid. Im not denying that. But you also can't deny she's looking out for herself in a den of rich and powerful people, many of whom likely cultivated their wealth via inheritance or exploitation of the poor - AND want to maintain their oligarchal exclusivity. you can call rashta's schemes selfish or solipsistic or destructive, but at the end, all you're doing is protecting the institution that allowed slavery in the kingdom in the first place - which btw is hardly. talked. about. In this fandom. The Navier we know and love manages a land with slavery. We have to acknowledge that. She never questions the state of her realm as what is obviously an egregious institution built off human rights violations but go off with how important the romance with heinley is or that rashta copied her dress (gasp!) 🙄

When you indiscriminately hate on rashta - to the point you hate her more than the emperor, well... thats not just classism and misogyny but shameless apathy towards someone who, in today's standards, would be a survivor of human trafficking. Im not buying this elitist, pro-monarchist narrative and I hope you as knowledgeable readers are empathetic enough to see its deeply flawed message. I want navier to divorce the bitch husband. I want rashta to survive. I want both ladies to flourish. These wishes can coexist.

So i re-read the first chapter and this whole things happend only last “few months”. 🤥
While i read the story till ch60, i thought it must haven been a year.. The flow seems to be slow, i dont know if my heart can bear the painful watching our Empress live an unhealthy mariage life....

Knowing the shit that's going to go down from the novel, I'm just here for the moment that piece of shit emperor and Trashta get turned into a joke.
Long live our Navier, may her reign never end , as an empress, or queen 👑

Is there a missing page on chapter 55? It goes to the ball and then cuts off, no mention of it in the next chapter.

@howalonnie I see your point and you're not wrong but I can't sympathize with Rashta at all. Because she let go of the rope that she was holding onto when she became pregnant with the baby of someone else and not the emperor. That means she was not faithful at all. And if an ex-slave that only has the emperor to get her out of the situation does something like this, then she only has herself to blame.

Tasha could have been a likeable character if she did not oppose the empress and want what was not rightfully hers. If Rashta knew her place as the imperial concubine and was respectful towards the empress and her status, she wouldn't have been treated like that. Because the empress care more than anything else about her and the imperial family's image.

Rashta ruined herself and also the emperor. Because he will divorce the empress for his non existent child. I don't like Rashta and the emperor at all and can't sympathize even one bit because one is worse that other.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Group Leader
The number of notes are seriously distracting. There were 30 notes just in the last batch... orz

@howalonnie i respect your views but i wanna point out some things that i feel are weakening your argument (which is still very strong btw)

saying that we’re hating on an ex-slave and a pregnant women just sounds whiny for the sole fact that we all hated her before she was pregnant, and our (majority our) hate for her has nothing to do with her being a slave. especially the pregnant part, that personally irked me because just a few chapters ago she slapped someone across the face after she got her feelings hurt trying to interrogate the same person. you can’t even hit her back because she’s pregnant, because then you become the bad guy. also she purposely fell risking her own child just to frame koshar for pushing her (ik we both think that he’s disgusting for literally trying to kill her child, i don’t hate his character though, as a real man i would)

i’m not saying their slavery is okay, i think it is similar to this world’s historical slavery as in it is a social and economic class that is nearly impossible to get out of legally cause they’re poor. however i think a big difference in this story’s slave class and our world’s slave class is the brutality towards slaves. we all know the slavery that any african american/caribbean/latino ancestor went through is a different level of dehumanization and abuse, but even as a lower social class slaves were abused, starved, etc. (read the following, but please also understand i’m not saying i want any of the following to happen to her)

a.
if this world’s slavery was similar to our world’s slavery i’m pretty sure rashta would be beaten to death as soon as roteschu discovered the relationship between her and his son.

b.
she would be traumatized and she’s not. the only thing she’s scared about are nobles making fun of her for being a slave, being discarded by the emperor, and her first child being discovered. i don’t think this comes from a fear of her safety, but her pride, and a fear that her goals as -initially staying as a concubine, but now- becoming the empress would not be realized. that is why i don’t think she is traumatized. there would have been signs if she was, but if the author meant for her to be i think it’s more on the author and artist for not showing it.

c.
not only would she be mentally scarred, she would be physically scarred as well. i’m actually not a hundred percent sure if she isn’t because i don’t remember seeing it, but if they showed that she was in the beginning then i would have forgotten.

obviously no form of ownership over another person is right, but i wanted to share the reason why i don’t think her struggles were as bad as the struggles of slaves in our world, not to argue against your entire point, just because you said it could be like what slaves went through in our past, i feel like it wasn’t to that degree of terror. her life style seems similar to that of the third world, plus someone owns her. which i don’t think is right either, i’m nigerian so my entire country lives in poverty except the select few, from what the artist has shown, it looks as though she lives more like the average third world citizen, except she is legally owned by another person.

i’m not trying to be rude with this, but i feel like you’re losing a lot of people’s understanding when you say (imply at the least) that you’re happy rashta is taking down the empress. she has actually not done anything wrong to rashta. i know she’s not progressive in abolishing slavery, but that’s a fault of her society and mostly the emperor rather than a fault of hers. when you made that argument it honestly sounds like your upset you yourself is not rich. like irrational contempt against rich people. it sounds like jealousy and maybe that’s not where you’re coming from, but that’s how it comes across and i almost blocked out the rest of your argument because of that and the fact that undermining someone’s real problems simply because their rich isn’t a good look. especially since navier actually cares about the well being of her people and country, if she didn’t, she’d do the same dumb ass tricks that rashta is doing, making it harder for her to rule the nation. and yea monarchy is not the best option of sovereignty, but it’s better than having inner turmoil because there’s too much drama for your power or decisions to be legitimate. i personally find all of the roteschu disgusting, they all have nasty personalities and the only reason i liked the daughter was because she admired the empress. i don’t think i’m wrong for that because the empress is a good person, and i don’t like the daughter overall. so good for rashta for stepping up to them i guess, though i don’t really care because i don’t care for her. however she honestly has no right to get with somebody’s husband and expect to be treated with respect and friendship by the legal wife.

yes it is 100% sovieshu’s fault. he’s a hoe yea, but realize that her attitude towards the empress after fucking her husband and living in her home is disgusting. you can’t defend that, whether it’s sovieshu’s fault that he cheated or not it’s rashta’s fault for being a dumb bitch. and everyone here hates sovieshu probably more than rashta anyways, at least i do. i know from my perspective since i hate sovieshu more, it seems to me that people hate him more as well. i think from your perspective since you hate sovieshu (?) you’re hyper-focusing on rashta hate because you don’t agree with it. which is fair, but i mean you can’t say who we hate more either way because it’s probably equal across the fandom but individually, i hate sovieshu more.

and honestly the main reason i hate rashta has nothing to do with her home wrecking tendencies. sorry if you don’t like that word but that’s what she did. she’s just stupid, like she’s actually dumb. (i said i hate sovieshu more and similarly when he *literally my head hurts recalling this* cries to navier about how she’s being unreasonable when she’s mad that he steady cheats on her i get a cool little combo multiplier on my hate for him) i really don’t understand where her brain cells went to, where her common sense is, i’m guessing they fell out of her skull while she was on the run since she had to be smart enough to realize that having an affair with her young master was a good way of surviving (i completely agree that slave-master relationships are rape whether consensual or not. even though rashta did “consent” like i said it was probably her way of surviving and that’s part of the reason why i am disgusted by the roteschu household), but you can’t escape if you’re not street smart. so where tf did it go? every single ounce of bullshit that she spewed after arriving at the palace acting all fragile in the arms of the emperor on his horse has given me a headache and irritated literally everybody. i still don’t know if she was acting two faced or if she was literally that dumb but she was probably literally that freaking dumb because there’s are stark difference in her snake like attitude now and her hurdeedur attitude from the past.

i do think she’s being greedy. i feel like, from a logical standpoint, it’s fine if she had the skill and ambition and wanted to be empress. but again she’s stupid. she knows absolutely nothing about anything so her wanting to be empress is greedy because she’d burn down the entire country. she’s literally not capable and she would be treated with no respect partially because she’s an actual idiot, and mostly because she was a slave. i think even the commoners would be adverse to someone with lower class than them ruling them, it’s a pride thing and it’s not right but that’s how it is in their current society. i don’t think she’s greedy because she’s a slave though, i think she’s greedy because she’s too stupid for the job.

i think you’re argument that rashta is looking out for herself in a den of rich people is valid when she was a slave under the roteschu. but it’s not valid now (i mean it’s technically true but by valid i mean like excusable kinda). her past isn’t an excuse for her current actions at all. she voluntarily followed the emperor, knowing who he was, into the palace and into high society. she’s not there by force. there’s nothing wrong with her wanting to live a life of luxury, i guess. but the way she went about it is wrong, although again i guess you can’t blame her for that when she was a slave. however my main point here is that trying to survive amongst the nobility is no excuse for her actions when she shouldn’t have put herself in the situation in the first place. if it’s so dangerous and if all she wanted was to live quietly she should have lived as a commoner. she shouldn’t have fucked someone man, and she shouldn’t have continuously disrespected her under the guise of stupidity whether the disrespect was intentional or not. because again in cheating, the only betrayer was the cheater. maybe the home wrecker (no matter their sex or gender) didn’t owe the betrayed anything, but if they knew what they were doing, they are not free from guilt and they are not free of responsibility. they do not have any sense of moral high ground and although i believe that the betrayed should not hate the home wrecker more than the cheater, the betrayed has the right to hate anybody that participated in that affair. which btw i don’t even think navier hates rashta because to her, rashta is completely irrelevant. any wrath that she incurs from the empress is because she’s encroaching on areas that the empress actually cares about. in that case it’s deserved, she brought it on herself as long as it’s not cruel and unusual punishment.

i haven’t personally seen the shame of her having a child yet. i think it’s wrong for anybody to hate on her solely because she’s had a child. but if you mean people hating on her because she thinks she’s still eligible for the position of empress, it’s unnecessary but it’s true in their society. it’s honestly true in most cases for our society as well. i personally wouldn’t do it, and i personally agree with you in that the hate is wrong because there is no correlation with the two, but in western society it’s still present and western society is usually a step ahead of the rest of the world when it comes to those matters. maybe i’m reading it wrong btw, but i haven’t viewed her avoiding her child as something out of her and the child’s safety. it could happen in medieval society (that much is true when sovieshu felt the need to say that he wasn’t planning on finding and killing the child) but in this story specifically, it’s been shown that rashta is only worried about that child causing her to be kicked out of the palace, not because she’s worried for him. i do agree that the author should have highlighted how temporal it made her position in less of a negative light, but from what i’ve been reading she’s angry that the child is a burden even if she does have a bit of love for him. it’s to the point where she clearly has a bit of hate for him too. (you didn’t say this, but i don’t think it’s right to excuse this as postpartum depression either, because the hate isn’t cause by any sort of depression, rather because she views the child as a burden to her greed. i believe that if she had been able to take the child with her and live as a commoner in their society, she would not have this hate. unless she was harassed or assaulted for being a single mother, because there are definitely men who would think she’s a free pass simply because she’s not a virgin.) i do respect her for purchasing a house and everything for the kid but that’s literally the bare minimum and she’s still neglecting him so i don’t really think the single mother sentiment applies because she’s not working hard to protect that child. i don’t think simply being a financial provider classifies you as a parent either, especially not in her case when the child would grow up rich anyways. she’s really not providing anything, but now that i think about it she didn’t even purchase the house because she wanted to. she was blackmailed.

ik you’ve probably been reading a lot of comments because your opinion is way off what everybody else thinks, but i’ll at least tell you that you didn’t stop my hate for rashta, honestly i don’t think you can really stop anyone at this point, but you did make me see many flaws in this story. my respect for navier has lessened because of the fact that she is not an active abolitionist. i wish she were ahead of her time, however you using that as reason to justify approving rashta’s reputational and political attacking of navier is wrong and unfair in my opinion. again though, realizing how much slavery is overlooked in this story is upsetting. i do want to mention it’s overlooked in literally every other isekai (i realized this after reading your post too) so unless you feel the same way towards the leading mc’s in those stories, i think it’s unreasonable to only hold it against navier. i also don’t agree with you calling us misogynistic for hating rashta because we don’t hate her because we hate women, we hate her cause she’s a dumb bitch. it really has nothing to do with her gender or what she’s been through for the majority of us at least.

i’m ngl i’ve been like go die to both sovieshu and rashta, i honestly don’t think either of their actions deserve death, i literally just can’t stand stupid people so i was insensitive and i’ll probably say it again because when they open their mouths i simply wish they were i eradicated from the story, but i’d be more happy with neither of them appearing again than their actual deaths. well i also wouldn’t really care if either of them died (unless rashta was murdered) bc i don’t like either of their character designs, but i would rather they just disappeared. and honestly after everything you said i’d still be happy if rashta made a good life for herself and her children (both since the emperor is probably going to die after the war), but i just need her to make a good life for herself away from me.

again i absolutely respect your opinion i just disagree on some points, as you definitely disagree with some of what i said. i actually want to thank you for sharing because i feel like i was pretty ignorant about everything that you said about slavery in their society. and now that i’m conscience of that i expect navier to do better.

ps. for scrolling pleasure and because your comment contains spoilers could u just yk...?

@howlonnie
it’s a little bit icky when you try to compare the fictional slavery compared towards the slavery of real life, especially considering the African slave trade Rashta seems to have had a pretty good life compared to the slaves from the 1800s, she was actually treated like a person not a subhuman and it seemed like the Viscounts son actually loved her. I hate slavery too and the fact that basically most of the Manga/Manhwa that has slavery in it brushes over the fact that there is this system is gross but that isn’t the main plot of this webtoon and it is merely a plot device for Rashta to be someone from lower standing and to be from an unfortunate standing. Your point about the Viscounts daughter is irrelevant by the way because she was never meant to be sympathised with, Navier is just using her as an in to the Viscounts family and she doesn’t have a big role in the story outside of that.

if you wanted both women to flourish then Rashta overcoming her slave origin story to become the wife of the Viscounts son and live happily with her son and husband while Navier divorces her husband and remarries would be a better one but this would never happen due to the fundamental flaws as a character Rashta has. We aren’t against Rashta because she is a slave or because she’s had a child before, we’re against her because of how horrible of a person she is. Rashta is deceitful and manipulative and has no trouble blaming other people for the wrongdoings of herself, she has ordered punishments for people she considers a threat to ‘her rule of empress’ (even if they haven’t done anything remotely close to that), Rashta later on takes a bird that the emperor gives Navier and then injures it and tears out all its feathers in order to blame it on Navier. This isn’t playing ‘the game’ nor is it ‘rising against her masters’ it’s behaviour that is neither appropriate for a concubine or future empress nor necessary. Frankly the only emotion of love Rashta shows is towards her children but I don’t even know if that’s true because she’s just using the child in her belly for her own political gain to steal the position as empress.

TLDR: we don’t have Rashta because she was a slave we hate her because she has shown she’s a manipulative and vindictive person and displays disgraceful behaviour time and time again. Pretty much everybody hates Sovieshu and her equally, Rashta just gets more screen time.

I understand you’re mad about slavery but honestly if you’re mad about that then say that and give us a good argument for why this webtoon is bad for it, being a slave isn’t a reason to support Rashta nor is the slavery in this novel comparative to anything in real life.

for those who are curious. Trashta threw her newborn baby in the novel too and she has like 0 love for her children. Her only goal is using her kids for her own survival. She gets innocent people killed, throws a fit when someone doesn’t agree with her. She’s practically a monster. Though sovjershit is the bigger monster since he created her.

So, where do I skip to the 'remarried empress' part? I'm not supposed to care about the emperor and his ho, am I?

TYSM for the updates! So glad we made it to the 1k.
One thing that I loved about these chapters is the multifaceted details we’ve received on the Emperor’s character.
We knew he was an asshole but he’s also pretty conniving.
His affection for Trashta is similar as the care for a toy. It’s also backed by pity for his circumstances. He doesn’t love her as a partner which is why her past doesn’t bother/phase him. He’s more worried about Trashta’s past affecting his kid’s future.

The divorce scheme is to legitimize his kid’s right to the throne. And he’s using Trashta, a grossly undertrained soon to be empress, to juxtapose how perfect the current empress is. He literally knows she will fail as an empress for 2 years and plans to bring back Navier. He wouldn’t do this if Navier said she’d adopt the kid, but he’s using an underhanded method to ensure he has an heir but at the same time keep his cake(s) at the same time. Since no divorced Empress ever remarried. (I wonder why? 🙄with an emperor as an ex, it was probably impossible.) I think it really shows how meticulous and untrusting he is of Trashta when he kept that file.

The Emperor loves the Empress, pretty mind blowing because he has a side piece. It seems like Trashta is his way of throwing a tantrum. He craves affection from the Empress, but she doesn’t express it/give him what he needs. She was trained to be an empress, not born into the position like Sovieshit. So she takes great pride/responsibility into portraying a perfect empress. Which basically means no strong emotions, and declaring love and jealousy isn’t the actions of a great empress. Granted, this doesn’t mean I think Navier is in the wrong. I think Sovieshit is an ass and their relationship was basically doomed since Sovieshit is needy and selfish.

Users who are viewing this thread