Rent-A-Girlfriend

Supporter
@MrRubidron does the concept of a rental gf sound interesting to you? Do you like watching trainwrecks? Did you enjoy any of Seo Kouji's works?

If you answered yes to any of these questions you might enjoy this series.

IMO that's a result of the new generation of those super entitled younger readers, that have been spoiled. The wretched offspring of twitter and such, where they think that they have to add their worthless opinion to literally everything. But just giving a normal rating won't do, because a 1 star carries more weight, so they go around disliking stuff they wouldn't read anyways. Which is complete madness in my eyes.

@Iskarioth welp you can't blame it with the newer generation facing the inflation of grades in the world, hence the standard shifted from 1-10 to 5-10. it's in the education system itself which had made the impression of score under 5 like it's negative number on 1-5 scale.

A story becomes a story when you can observe change in characters in this manga you really can't observe that. Mc is a college student yet he acts like a 13 year old and 100 chapters later he still can't make an eye contact yet he tries to upstart a movie project. As time passes when you reach a certain age you start to gain a certain perspective to life and that experience is what neede to make a good story. What's the point if you cannot become self confident, whats the points of friends when you listen to them but not apply their wisdom.What's the points if you cannot overcome your insecurites.

This is why whis manga does a bad job and gets a 5 from me .
unpopular opinion but despite the lack of progress in mc departement i still enjoyed this series. i mean sure, he didn't progress much in terms of growing from beta to alpha male, but this awkward insecurities he has shown for the last 100 chapters felt real for people who lacks confident. it's like the author tries to show how people with anxiety (disorder? idk but i felt he was depicted as insecure wayy too much lol) can take decisive action for the sake of his loved one. sure it's annoying to see how he can't man up in front of any sorts of girls, but then if he suddenly man up, this series's charm would probably be lost.

Aggregator gang
@MrRubidron: People will give their opinions and the popular opinion is to hate. So I'll switch it around: What do you expect out of this manga?

Was the term "simp" created for this comic or did the staff behind this comic will the phrase "simp" into existence?

@TwilightFaze I've kinda learned to have low expectations for most things cause if I have low expectations then I'm less likely to be disappointed. It still happens but you can't win 'em all.
@Lanfear I don't know, sometimes and I don't know who Seo Kouji is.

he didn't progress much in terms of growing from beta to alpha male, but this awkward insecurities he has shown for the last 100 chapters felt real for people who lacks confident. it's like the author tries to show how people with anxiety (disorder? idk but i felt he was depicted as insecure wayy too much lol) can take decisive action for the sake of his loved one. sure it's annoying to see how he can't man up in front of any sorts of girls, but then if he suddenly man up, this series's charm would probably be lost.

This is what is wrong with "modern" manga. Protagonists are a reflection of the readership: socially insecure, low self-esteem, absolutely lacking in character or ambition. Look at the manga characters from the 70's to the early 90's. We have people who have friends, do sports and have things they aspire for. And most importantly: even if they have their own faults and their lows, they strive to improve themselves!

Instead nowadays we have wimpy doormats who get feminine attention only because the writer wrote it so. They have no redeeming qualities and they don't redeem themselves as the story progresses. And somehow it is all O.K. to not "man up".

Series is a bust went from 6 to a 4 for me, dropped. I don’t wanna read this shit anymore.

Aggregator gang
@MrRubidron: I TRY keep neutral, so keep my opinion with a grain of salt. The MC starts off wishy-washy as he has a crush on the heroine (a kuudere, though often mistaken for a tsundere. For good reason). He's aware of his own faults and chastises himself for it often. Most reader want to live vicariously through the MC because their lives are so boring, so imagine their frustration when the MC is equally as uneventful. He meets a couple of other girls, a shorty who does things at her own pace and a quiet girl who's hard to read. His ex makes an appearance from time to time and it's implied she's trying to sabotage his life, despite the fact his life. Overall, people are displeased with how he's running his life and it's only in the recent chapters that he's showing his strength. I'd say more, but it's spoiler territory from here.

The pacing is very slow compared to other manga. Normally I have a rule of reading up to 3 chapters. If you can't put up with it after that, drop it and move on. If you can, try to go up to chapter 15 before you jump to conclusions. It's only in the early 100s where things pick up.

Also ignore the people calling it trash and whatnot. If it really was, it wouldn't be up to the 130s, which is successful in the manga world. Manga, much like art, is subjective. Only you can decide if it's worth reading and nobody else can (nor should they) tell you what to read.

@TwilightFaze I appreciate both your attempting to stay neutral as well as the warning that this manga is a bit of a slow burn, I'll put it on the plan to-read list for now and see what happens when its turn comes up.

Group Leader
@TwilightFaze The fact that it's still alive doesn't bear any weight to how good it is. If anything, it's just a testament to how bad Japan's taste is. The rating is enough to see what the general public thinks of this manga. XD

Dex-chan lover
@Zenoslash if anything, those ratings show how shallow, irrational and emotionally driven the readers have become. People who actually blame the author for going with the flow and creating a manga that apparantly resonates with a core audiance, the one that actually pays, are really failures at life because they fail to see that this is still a business. Mabye you should ask yourself why you keep reading mangas that you don't enjoy and have nothing better to do than to complain again and again. This goes for many of the pople in this comment section.

Group Leader
@Iskarioth "If you don't like it, just don't read it." I mean, doesn't make the work impervious to criticism. And it's not like the criticism is outlandish or unjustified.

Aggregator gang
@Zenoslash: Not really. Some people rate on emotion, not logic. They'll rate something a 10 despite their being flaws or they'll rate something a 1 despite having accolades. Or they'll even continue the high/low rating because they want to fit in and be like the other "cool kids" reading it. Art is subjective and manga is an artform. You don't like it? Nothing wrong with that. You know others who don't? That's fine too. But acting like a small group of readers are the last word of what manga quality is just pure arrogance and egotism. These are people who are self-important but at the end of the day, the only rating that matters is YOURS, not everyone else's.

Make your own decisions. Don't jump on a bandwagon of hate just because it's cool to do so.

(FYI, I'm being generic and not directing this to you at all. Sorry if it came off otherwise...)

@Zenoslash

Yeah, you’re right! “Simp, the manga” and “sleeping thinking of mami” are somehow amazing displays of impervious criticism! Way to go!

Users who are viewing this thread