Rin-chan Wants to Flirt - Vol. 2 Ch. 9

I had no idea what hotcakes were, so I searched them up and got pancakes as the wikipedia result.

Also didn't expect a translation of this after 2 years, woah.

Dex-chan lover
It's weird. The important thing is that the fluffy thick pancakes that japanese dessert shops make are so different from regular pancakes that they deserve another name.

Dex-chan lover
Well it seems I was reading this one since I followed it and the eye icons are crossed out but don't remember anything haha :meguu:

Aggregator gang
It's weird. The important thing is that the fluffy thick pancakes that japanese dessert shops make are so different from regular pancakes that they deserve another name.
I know in other countries, waffles are a dessert instead of a breakfast item. Same with french toast and donuts

Dex-chan lover
Hotcake and pancake mean the same thing today, but historically a pancake was just any kind of batter fried on a pan. The majority of those batters were gritty, hard, and mostly bland. When the modern fluffy pancake batter (which is also waffle batter) started being marketed in English speaking countries, it was called hotcake. It immediately became popular because, well, compared to previous pancakes it was definitely a major improvement. That's why even in the US the phrase "selling like hotcakes" exists. In the US people just stopped using the original name hotcake to refer to fluffy pancake, largely because today almost every other type of pancake has been substituted by the hotcake. In Japan they still use hotcake to refer to it, but most Japanese also understand the term pancake. Souffle pancake/hotcake is a special variant way of cooking that fluffs up the batter into basically a tubular balloon. It's really popular in Japan. It was also trending in the rest of Asia around the 2010s, but never quite caught on.

Dex-chan lover
According to my limited knowledge that comes mostly from Wikipedia and random searches on the internet, pancake and hotcake do mean the same thing but in Japan pancake is mostly used to refer to a kind of soufflé pancake which unlike the traditional flat one most of the world knows is extremely fluffy and thick.

Also I have to say that 10 US dollars for a dessert at a café, especially considering Japanese prices for fancy food, doesn't seem that expensive.

Traditional fast foods like ramen and beef bowl are quite cheap but anything else, like this, goes all the way over to the other end and towards ludicrously expensive.

At least that's what I used to think, but this makes me reconsider and think that Japanese wages and cost of living are not that much ahead of us nowadays if at all

Users who are viewing this thread