Rokudou no Onna-tachi

Aggregator gang
@TheWanderer567: Loans are legitimate companies. Some are not nearly as bad and just badly affect your credit rating and lose your collateral. But there are few sketchy ones that bleed you dry. Unfortunately, it's all legal so the cops can't do anything about it, making it a good way for criminals to slowly make money and legally take other people's belongings. Last I heard the economy is still in trouble over in Japan, so places like loan centers and borrowing from the bank are a common theme. Using your imagination, it's easy to think like a criminal on how someone can use that to their personal gain.

i was totally expecting 'heartless mother exploits child and turns on her when shes no use'. i love how this manga has more than once deviated from the norm you would expect from the genre.

I feel this manga is going to the last arc. Ranna is the last boss, she's the strongest, if they can avoid that future then there'll be no more story to tell.

Group Leader
@DanielBR555 I think that's probably more that they are becoming good people. They were the two most Good-Aligned in the first place. I'm expecting we'll see Rokudous power fade from them naturally.

Otherwise this would be us nearing the end of the series.

Aggregator gang
@burmn123: I don't think we are. At least not yet.
I agree that Ranna is the final boss and the crew is preparing for that eventuality, but something about the scene felt off. First off, where was Rokudou in there? Second what's the ex-clown's end-game? He's clearly not gonna support his boss's plan.

My first guess is that something bad happened to Rokudou causing Ranna to rage out, but the crew tried to stop her because they think Rokudou has a plan or some other reason. And when it comes to Rokudou, Ranna loses all reason.

My second guess is it's staged. The organization knows her power and they kidnapped Rokudou to control her. But instead the crew makes it look like she slaughtered them only to surprise attack them when they arrive at the school. I know what I said before, but Ranna is not interested in fighting anyone at the school. Or interested in anyone in the school period.

Plus, the start of the arc made it clear it was about Chiyo. Meaning we're getting a new batch of girls for the year and Chiyo is just the start for the second year arc. The Sakura Organization is part of a mafia, so that means we'll most likely be moving up to actual Yakuza gangsters, guns and all.

Lastly, I don't think we're in the last arc, because we still don't know who Ranna really is. She's shown to be closed off and violent, but it's clear there's a reason for that. Not only that, Rokudou is still learning the limits of the spell, which means he may even learn how to turn it off and on and it may not actually go away.

Regardless, this doesn't feel like the final arc by any stretch. I think we got more adventures yet to come!

Dex-chan lover
For those wondering if they should try this manga out or not, I say give it a shot. It keeps getting better as it goes, and it's not afraid to try something new every so often. The unusual art style might seem off at first, but it has its charm and I easily got used to it. The writing's surprisingly good too.

Edit: Also, it's one of the least trope-y and most creative manga I've read. You can actually get genuinely surprised by what happens instead of making a drinking game out of what predictable crap happens next. Good break from generic shounen manga (like Jump) for instance where if someone were running a gambling ring where you could bet on what happens next in the plot, a bunch of people would win big and the gambling ring would go bankrupt.

Fed-Kun's army
I decided to binge read this due to the high chapter count and COVID-19 - I admit that I am still interested in this series as a whole, but at the same time, I do understand that it is rather same-old same-old. To be fair, I have also read Angel Densetsu before, and the main premise is almost the same (key difference is that the MC here is self-aware of his powers and limitations), it just boils down to the pacing - and sometimes, this manga can feel like it drags its arcs out.

Fed-Kun's army
@TwoEyedTodd: We effectively have the same premise - a completely 'normal' student that gets mucked up into groups of delinquents just 'because'. Granted, the just 'because' in these situations are different - MC from Angel Densetsu is born with a face that, for some reason or another, causes every delinquent in the series think that he's screwing them over, whereas here, we have the MC here that causes delinquent girls to love him while delinquent boys want to screw him over due to that - but the overall situation of 'normal' students getting messed up in constant waves of delinquents is similar - and so is their general wish to be out of it all, but somehow or another always getting deeper and deeper in (because they are the main characters).

To put in comparison, we have GTO, Hammer Session, Denpa Kyoushi, or I'm fairly certain MANY others where we have rather extraordinary teachers dealing with troublesome kids; these two titles I find to be a spinoff off that genre because instead of teachers, we have students who are typically "good", but need to deal with troublesome kids.

@sudzzuds: Thank you, I can definitely see where you're coming from. I was just surprised, is all, Angel Densetsu is one of my favorite mangas, and this one.. well, it is not.

I think a fundamental difference, for me, is the main character. (in regards to my enjoyment of the two series)

In this manga, Rokudou is a loser. He gets bullied, and doesn't do anything about it except rant in the bathroom with his equally-loser friends. His problems are solved, not by himself, but by an artifact that he inherited. (ignoring all of the problems the artifact caused). This manga has better art than Angel Densestu, I will say that.

In Angel Densetsu, Kitano is naïve to the point of near-stupidity. He is feared by his classmates and respected (and feared) by the delinquents. But Kitano is a nice person, and overcomes his problems gradually through the efforts of himself and his friends. I would say that Angel Densetsu has better fight scenes than this manga. (of what I've read at least - bear in mind I've read very few chapters of this story before dropping it. I didn't read enough to justify giving any star rating to it.)

@TwoEyedTodd
For maybe the first 20 ch rokudou does rely solely on the artifact, but then begins to change and grow.

I absolutely love kitano's character, though my only complaint is the story doesn't have any growth for him, only those around him.

Group Leader
@TwoEyedTodd Sure towards the beginning he can only get by thanks to the power, but he keeps doing his best to be useful without it.

Rokudou's growth is the core of the story. He refuses to rely on it, and instead has genuine friendships with them beyond the power. He has been training himself too, so that he won't be the twerp getting protected.

As he has gained confidence he has also gained a genuine charisma, and his attitude towards hardship is entirely the opposite of the early chapters. If he faces a challenge he takes it head on, trying to help anyone he can along the way.

Not to mention when he got a genuine confession he turned her down out of a sense of duty, despite his own desires.

That twerp from chapter 1 has come a long way. I'm used to trashy manga by now, but this one takes a trashy premise and makes it wholesome.

@Tarasios
@Caul

I've read fewer than 20 chapters before dropping, so it's nice to know that Rokudou grows from where he was at. I might pick this up again at a later date, thanks.

@Tarasios I don't know about trashy premise. More like a trashy genre. The premise imo was already a massive subversion to harems due to the fact most harems are compiled of an array of ladies that the Japanese find attractive including the usual Tsundere ML. An MC that attracts nothing but Yankee Gyarus is like the most fucking niche thing in Japan and that had a lot of potential in my eyes. I don't know. Perhaps I don't read enough harem stories though.

I kinda dislike this arc, how these money lenders are so strong and capable of doing everything.

well it's pretty clear that in their attempt to stop ranna from going on a rampage, they've created a self fulfilling prophecy. this is what is going to make it happen.

Users who are viewing this thread