Roujoteki Shoujo Hinata-chan - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - The Afternoon Nap-like Lump

Dex-chan lover
Lucky kids, when I was in daycare/preschool all we got were blankets :(. Those burl carpets didn't feel good to sleep on.

Group Leader
@GodGinrai

This'll get complicated.

Touhoku is the northern area of the main Japanese island. It's far less densely populated than the south and as a result has a feeling of being the rural area of Japan. You can think of it as the Midwest of Japan.

The local dialect is Touhoku-ben and one of it's features is the blurring of the sounds of い and う (i and u). ず, づ, じ, and ぢ all sound exactly alike in Touhoku-ben (zu). This is compared to Tokyo-ben, which is regarded as the "Standard Japanese" dialect, where ず and づ sound the same (zu), じ and ぢ sound the same (ji), but do not sound like each other.

です is the existence copula in Japanese. It's equivalent to the verb "to be". A more informal version is だ.

A volitional and presumptive suffix -be or -ppe is widely used in the region. It is a transformation of -beki, a conjugated form of an archaic suffix -beshi. When -be is preceded by a verb ending in -ru, the connection -ppe is used

So when Hinata says, "The heck is this, dappe..."

It's likely gone through these steps:

1) Standard Polite Formal Japanese: 何ですか。 (Nan desu ka.) "I wonder what this is?"
2) Polite Japanese: 何でしょうか。 (Nan deshou ka.) "What is this?"
3) Informal Japanese: 何だろうか。(Nan darou ka.) "What's this?"
4) Drop the question particle (It's implied by -darou already.): 何だろう。(Nan darou.)
5) Apply Touhoku-ben: 何だっぺ。 (Nandappe.) "Wot in tarnation?"

Easy!

Double-page supporter
@Chojiki Now I'm just wishing the translation had used "Wot in tarnation?" XD Thanks for the explanation, tho'.

That credit page...

images

Dex-chan lover
when i saw her castle i literally heard the uoohhh sound effect, u know the one

Damn, those sandcastles tho. When I was a kid we thought making bridges and tunnels were already impressive

Users who are viewing this thread