Roujoteki Shoujo Hinata-chan - Vol. 1 Ch. 8 - The Long-Time-No-See-like City

@Kaarme I never have seen this slow down one you talk about, The ones I see on the subway always runs and break down constantly.

Dex-chan lover
@Purplelibraryguy Rechecking the first chapter, the dying scene hospital flashback has rather modern looking equipment. Though I didn't really pay it any extra attention, but my general impression has been all along that the flashbacks aren't from terribly long ago. In this chapter she also said she used to go to movies when she was young, which also speaks for a period well into the 20th century. Maybe she was born right after the war.

@Memi You gotta go walk the downtown, department stores and such, when there aren't super many people around. Although purplelibraryguy might be correct about even a bit older models not having the functionality (at least originally). Subway might be too busy for there to be any use for energy saving features.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme There have been movies for longer than you'd think. Also, even if she died 3 seconds before her new incarnation was born and the manga is set this year, then assuming she's like 4 years old, she would have had to be born at latest in 1927. If she was born right after WW II she'd still be alive and not yet 88.

Dex-chan lover
it is pretty genius to put adverts on tissues and hand em out because its an ad people won't just discard unused (at least most) as a tissue is used for lots of things and you will see the ad enough it might make you think especially if there is a coupon of some sort with it. Though this would probably work best in areas with high foot traffic in a market type and or tourist area.

Group Leader
some of this stuff makes it feel like she shut herself away from the world around her decades before she actually died, like 3d movies where they hand out glasses have been a gimmick since the 1950s

Fed-Kun's army
Call 911, it's too cute I'm having a heart attack.

@Fusang

To be fair, she was clearly a very traditional housewife and given her accent, likely from a more rural area, so it's not totally impossible for her to be unfamiliar with many modern technologies, including ones that had waves of popularity, like 3D glasses that were really only big in the 50's in certain areas and only for a little bit. Also it's sort of implied that her old memories are coming back to her bit-by-bit, so it's not surprising that things she's less familiar with wouldn't be recalled as quickly. I imagine in a couple more chapters she'll start to remember friends of hers from her past life.

VIP
it's always cute when her obaa knowledge mixed with her child innocence of moderns times.

Dex-chan lover
@Purplelibraryguy No, they haven't been around longer than I'd think. I know the history of movies roughly. However, you are right with your mathematics. Her youth/young adult period would be post-WW2, then. She would have needed to be of some age to go watch movies, after all. What I mainly meant about my movies comment is that in the very early 20th century it was more unlikely for a person to have seen many movies than much later. Especially since everything suggests she didn't live her life anywhere near a city center. Otherwise she would have been using escalators and whatnot all the time. Even if she just happened to live her best years in a city and then moved to the boondocks, I believe she would have been left with a dose of urban mentality.

@Kellizer-Levvit
Also it's sort of implied that her old memories are coming back to her bit-by-bit
Where? I'm pretty sure her memory is as good as 88 + 6 years old's can be.

@Kaarme
I assume she lived in the city they visited this chapter as a young adult. It was much less developed back then (remember it was not too long after WW2), but still had a movie theater. It was probably in the 50's, then she moved to a more rural region.

Dex-chan lover
I haven't come across any toilets that say thank you or turn on the lights yet. I'll be on the lookout during my next visit to Japan.

Dex-chan lover
Even with obaa-san's head start, Hinata is still an innocent child when it comes to modernisms huh?

Not seeing an escalator seems weird even for the elderly, but I suppose people like her do exist.

Dex-chan lover
>Doesn't get escalators

...She's a grandmother, not a fucking ancient Japanese relic. I fail to see how anyone that wasn't a total shut-in for about 40 years in Japan wouldn't know about fucking escalators. I mean, she knew about video games for christ's sake.

@definitionofinsanity
@Psychronia
No, you're mistaking. She confused about the escalator in conserved energy mode (In other word it is turn off) suddenly turn on when she near it, she thought someone somewhere turn it on when they see them not knowing it just a sensor that did it. She thanking the person she thought turn on the escalator not the escalator.

Users who are viewing this thread