Runway de Waratte - Vol. 3 Ch. 18 - A World that Expands to Infinity

Dex-chan lover
"You're working at a great place."
He's talking about the place where someone just quit because they collapsed from overwork and had to go to the countryside to recover, effectively putting their whole career on hold, possibly permanently. It's the same place where due to said person collapsing, the fashion show they were putting on was almost ruined, and the only reason it wasn't was due to MC being a miracle worker, so they were able to pull through by a hair's breadth. He talks about how Yanagida is super nice and polite to his customers, while it's clear that he treats his employees like expendable trash. He may or may not be a genius designer, but he is an absolutely awful boss and he runs a shitty studio that is constantly at the risk of going under due to his poor management skills and shitty attitude. So no, you're not really working at a great place.

Incidentally, the best boss I ever had, at the most successful employer I ever had, had the completely opposite attitude. She was a harsh and stern negotiator with the clients, but treated her subordinates with great care. I firmly believe that's a much wiser approach if you want long-term success. Invest in your assets, don't burn them for the sake of short-term gain.

This feels very typical of manga that focuses on some kind of craft or creative industry, they bottom line message is always "you have to work yourself to death 24/7 and deprioritize everything else in your life order to suck up to your clients/readers/superiors, screw your mental and physical health, because that's what it takes to be successful, if you want to make a good product everything else must be sacrificed and you are not allowed to complain, and if you can't handle it that just means you're weak and was doomed to fail from the start". It seems to be a feature of Japanese culture, the whole idea of working hard for the sake of working hard. And I just think it's fundamentally mistaken. You don't always get the best result just by putting in 100% effort 24/7. In fact, I think you usually get a subpar result, cause you're not managing your physical and mental faculties well in the long-term.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread