Saeki-san wa Nemutteru - Vol. 3 Ch. 24 - Omelette Rice

Dex-chan lover
@havelmom
It was revealed much earlier that at some point, her dad took up cycling as a hobby and stopped sleeping all day, so now he's fit and tanned.
As for his face, they're just keeping it hidden as a minor gag.

@havelmom

Dude got addicted to cycling and ditched poor Saeki and their afternoon naps...

But he got ripped •_•

I’m dubbing this guy as the best wingman because he seriously is

Group Leader
@siiddheshwgh I understand your concerns, but don't worry. I'm honestly, truly, wholeheartedly having fun working on this series. Maybe I'm just in the honeymoon phase of being a beginner scanlator, but right now I'm finding that I really enjoy spreading the good works of the folks in Japan to a wider audience.

And seeing people appreciate a series that I love, as well as (occasionally) my own relatively minor effort, only fans the flames of scanlating passion higher.

@treiral Well done! Another chapter for you tomorrow as a reward!

Group Leader
@ColorlessBoy The way the Japanese use the term "Western" is very loose indeed. However, omurice is definitely considered "Western" in the culture.

As Japanese Wikipedia puts it, "In a broad sense, youshoku refers to everything from actual Western cuisine to anything inspired by it." In this case the factors qualifying it for youshoku are the omelette and the ketchup for the most part, I believe.

English Wiki

Edit: Just wanted to add that yes, ketchup's roots come from Southeast and East Asian fish sauces. However, the tomato version is very much a Western creation.

Edit 2: Just realized there were easy examples in Western culture as well. Items like California Rolls are often considered to be Japanese cuisine. The same goes for Americanized pizza being considered Italian (at least in America).

wtf the omelette recipe. why mayo and why fry in the previously cooked pan...would get charred bits everywhere and wouldn't be fluffy. everything else about the recipe sounded okay tho

Group Leader
@kornboi I do have issues with the recipe, as I noted on the second page of it. However, adding various condiments to beaten eggs before cooking is a fairly common practice. The most frequent things you'll see recommended are plain water, heavy cream, milk, or mayonnaise, as they used here. Eggs mixed with such condiments are purported to be lighter, fluffier, or creamier, or possibly even hold all three of these properties at once. I myself use cream, and occasionally a little mayo. One person who adds mayo to his eggs is notable American food presenter Alton Brown.

Regarding the pan: since you're supposed to have emptied it out and then cooked the rice in the other pan with all the other ingredients, it should have cooled down a little. As a side note, I would recommend a non-stick pan if you're not great with eggs, since you need a good flip to get the omelette onto the rice. An extra bonus is that it's harder to char them in a non-stick pan.

PS Never use metal utensils (or those made out of other hard materials) on non-stick pans, as they could scratch the coating. Scratched non-stick pans, in general, leach a lot of terrible chemicals into the food.

Edit: @rei893 Did you seriously?

Users who are viewing this thread