Saeki-san wa Nemutteru - Vol. 5 Ch. 44.5 - Uemura Akari is Lost

I'd put it more on the bA/aW. A series from the late years before Anime doesn't feel as old as something from the early anni Weebini. So a weeb who started watching in 2016 might feel Mahouka not as old as Re:zero, probably one of the first animes they watched

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
I got exposed to 90's anime in the 2000's, there are some animes i say "damn that's old" like the original Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon, (btw, i saw DBZ fully 3 times before watching a single episode of DB), but most of the time i don't take age into consideeration unless it affects the way the anime developed *cough cough FMA*.

Thank you SleepyFox, good work!

Dex-chan lover
it is sad to know the series is ending even if you did warn us many chapters ago but such is life. though dont worry too mich about taking a sort of break fluff master, you were consistent for so long everyone needs some me time every now and then. also as a 20 y/o now i do feel like some older anime are a bit dated mainly for the older art style, like fairy tails first couple of years of airing compared to how it evolved to now when it finished.

I thought of watching some anime, but monster hunter and fate go ended eating all of my free time due to Covid quarentine in my country.

Still is good to know all is alright and you just took your time because you were on little break haha

thanks for the chapter and I forgot about space X launch... thanks for that too 😄

Double-page supporter
this mangaka manages to make every female character too precious for her own good in her own way. it's a talent.

i've actually watched Touch for the first time a couple months ago after finishing Cross Game because i wanted to bask in that baseball anime feeling a bit longer. Cross Game started airing in 2009 while Touch started airing in 1985. despite enjoying Touch quite a bit, it still felt quite dated because of the sound design and directing (a lot of staring and zooming in). sometimes i rewatch Cowboy Bebop and it feels like a classic rather than an old anime. hell the first few episodes of Naruto feel like an old anime to me.

where was i going with this?... oh that's right, you should watch Cross Game, it's a good anime.

Dex-chan lover
Akari's adorable.
As much as I want to say this quarantine has given me time to watch anime, pretty much everything I was watching except Kaguya got delayed, so...my time has been pretty much consumed by the 5 mobages I play. And CK2.

Group Leader
@Spartancus Haha, it had to be done.

@crismofern Good point about perspective being affected by the timing of when someone actually gets into it. And nice, I like that kind of weeb era terminology.

@Richman Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I don't think you're alone in watching DBZ many times before ever touching DB.

@Nihilist1 This volume is the last one. The story ends at chapter 49, and then there are 11 bonus chapters. I haven't really looked into it, but from what I gather, the magazine they ran in told the creators enough was enough. But they did run for a longer time than they had expected at the start.

@yummyyummy Interesting, maybe I think the art style changes have been more subtle than they are because of how I sort of subconsciously group together all the anime that have run since I got into this stuff.

@290guille I like those kinds of games alright but I'm a cheapskate, what can I say (;^ω^).

@jowser90 You reminded me I should buy MHW: Iceborne! I'm hoping the price drops a little lower though. About the SpaceX launch, I know they made the event very America-centric, but I think it's generally a good thing when humanity reaches for the stars :3.

Edit:

@ninjazz That was a very enjoyable ramble xD. Thanks for the watch recommendation. I don't watch too many sports anime but I do watch the occasional one. I'm actually rewatching season 1 of Chihayafuru now, which I believe many consider a sports anime. Anyway, I'll keep Cross Game in mind, thanks.

@strider_01 So glad that the adaptation of Kaguya has been good so far (I think so at least). I'm often a fan of A-1 Pictures' work though anyway. Personally, I'm also finding Honzuki to be quite enjoyable this season. I've thought of trying Crusader Kings 2 but it seems to have a fairly steep learning curve.

Bit of an old goat here. Started watching anime as a young kid in the late 70s. Most of the anime from that era feel a bit dated now. Some of the 80s actually aged better. I remember watching DB before there was such a thing as DBZ and that aged OK, probably because the fictional universe was generic enough, the right kind of generic. I am still quite fond of some the stuff from the 90s. I guess where you are from also influence the selection you have been exposed too when you started.

Dex-chan lover
I've been finishing off my Anime, manga and movie backlog. Got 3 more Ghibli movie to go and a few western ones and I'll be done. Children of Men, Uncut Gems and maybe A Clockwork Orange for western stuff. After that I'll play video games instead. Planning on beating Deus Ex Mankind Divided for now.

As for older anime, I think classic stuff aged better than digital stuff. DB and DBZ look better than most digital anime, seriously, re-watch the Buu Saga and see how gorgeous it looks, all Ghibli movies are gorgeous but Laputa despite being the oldest one, is my favourite.

@sleepyfoxscanlations Absolutely buy iceborne (though I get waiting for a sale)! Not only is a fantastically fun game, but I really want to support the devs for constantly releasing top quality dlc and not doing the bs monitization schemes plaguing other games.

As for old anime, I started by watching Zoids before school in the mid-late 90s but I've always been a bit of a casual anime watcher (though ironically I've haven't seen most "casual"anime like Naruto, and I've seen more DBZ abridged than actual episodes). Unfortunately Ive not watched a lot of anime to really have an opinion, but I feel Evangelion (1995) marks the grey boundary of what I consider old and new anime. Just looking at the art of popular anime before and after, I feel something changes to what I'm more familiar with and what I see as contemporary anime today.

Looking since then I can't think of a major paradigm shift in style that younger people would use to mark what they would consider "old vs new." But again I'm not "well read" enough to come to any final conclusion.

Double-page supporter
@sleepyfoxscanlations i actually have Chihayafuru on my to-watch list right now! i've said that i'm a sucker for childhood friend romances and Chihayafuru and Cross Game came up on several lists about anime of that type. anyway i do hope you enjoy Cross Game. i really didn't expect to enjoy it as much as did. Touch, as i said, was good but didn't come close and being as good as Cross Game was. they really knocked it out of the park with that one.

Cross Game.

Group Leader
@kiwifb Great to hear the point of view of someone as experienced as yourself. Outlaw Star is probably my favorite 90s anime, thanks to Toonami.

@Darklight99 I've got a soft spot for Laputa myself. It's actually possibly the first anime I ever watched since my parents had it on VHS back in the day (Chinese dub and I'm sure I had no idea what was going on the first few times I watched it, but still...).

@SalZuri Yeah, I'm really glad that MHW has done as well as it has, the devs deserve it.

Interesting that you consider Evangelion the border. I don't think that being a casual watcher diminishes your observations at all. And I still like Zoids even though every time I try rewatching any of those series it's so obviously made to sell toys to kids xD.

@ninjazz I'll definitely have to give it a try after seeing your boundless enthusiasm for it.

Cross Game. (・ω <) テヘペロ

Edit: correction regarding Zoids.

@sleepyfoxscanlations I bought it in some PS4 sale for 40$ (Iceborne included) so to me, it was a pretty good deal, taking in count I was on forced vacations 😅And about the launch, yeah, a successful launch is always a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread