Saigo ni Hitotsu Dake Onegai Shite mo Yoroshii Deshou ka - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

wtf why "berserk"??? Weren't the Japanese text directly translate to mad dog? It's a very common nickname/title used by delinquents in east asian fiction.

I hate it when translator took liberty on changing shit like this.

Is anything bad will happen to her...? I mean, she beat up all the guest and prince.. Kinda worry about it..

Double-page supporter
Thank you for picking this up and for the high quality!! Looking forward to what happens next!

It hasn't been long since the other team did chapter 1 so normally I wouldn't re-read a new team's version...

But there's just something satisfying about this chapter that I think I could read it any number of times.

Group Leader
I like this version a lot better! Thank you for scanlating this^^

Group Leader
@sosiick I guess it’s kind of localisation because “Mad dog” sounds kinda weird in English. They could have written a translation note and explained the context from where “mad dog” comes from, but I’d agree that “Beserk Princess” sounds a lot more satisfactory and fitting of her image than “Mad Dog Princess”. :)

Edit: “Mad Bitch Princess” doesn’t sound bad actually

Thank you for the translation, and I'm sorry if I may sound rude. You could work more on the flow of the dialogues if you plan to localize the sentences. I really love the editing tho. 🤗 Thankies

Group Leader
I couldn't care less what the Princess is called. Thanks for the scanlation !

Fed-Kun's army
So we got the shitty prince who's ego bigger than Empire State building and every crooked noble in one place to make garbage like him King that end up getting the shit beat out of them. Sold.

I greatly prefer this new version, most specially since there is promise of more chapters to come!

Gonna agree tho, that Berserker seems to have a bit less impact for some reason then Mad Dog.

Of course if the story past this point has a greater reason to Berserker instead of another title, the TL'er's choice for interpretation has more weight then they usually wield.

Dex-chan lover
Normally I'm pretty meh about the same series being picked up by multiple scanlation groups, but I'll make an exception for this one, because it's so damn satisfying. The more the merrier.

Group Leader
The only authentic way to translate Mad Dog Princess that is exactly as the author wrote it is this: 狂犬姫.
Authenticity spectrum, from most authentic and literal, to least literal.

Step 0: 狂犬姫 - Drawbacks: Most people here can't read what this says.
Step 1: Kyouken Hime (TL note: Hime means princess and keikaku means plan) - Drawbacks: What are japanese words doing in my fantasy series set in a western-style-world? Also, We've already lost the understanding the kanji gives readers who know Japanese.
Step 2: Mad Dog Princess - Drawbacks: Sure, I guess it's what the kanji means, but how can we be sure that mad dog means the same thing in both language? Where I'm from, mad dogs are poor dogs that got infected by rabies and may need to be put down.
Step 2.5: Rabid Princess - Drawbacks: Not sure if this isn't more literal, given the usual context you see the characters 狂犬 in.
Step 3: Berserk Princess - Drawbacks: I guess it's no longer what the kanji literal means. At least it sounds pretty cool to me, and conveys the same princess. Maybe we could use the word berserker?
Step ???: Crazy-bitch princess who you shouldn't f*$! with cuz she's a crazy-bitch princess - Drawbacks: Uhh... too long. Not even sure if it got the nuance right. Go back!

Note: the spectrum may not necessarily be 1-dimensional as portrayed here, because nothing is one-dimensional. Not even bland waifu #4 from generic harem anime #3.

Anything past step 0 has the translator making choices on translation and changing what the author wrote. Localization vs Literalism is a slidey scale, and I guess TLers are free to choose where they put the slider.
The argument against using "berserk" because it literally means "mad dog" would be the same argument against using "kyle" because it literally says "Kairu".
"But that's what the author intended," one might argue, "Kyle is obviously the name the author intended to write! That conveys the same nuance!"
That in itself is a judgement on what the author meant. Sure, Kyle isn't too far up the localization spectrum, but you could make similar choices about honorifics like "-sama" (No english speaker uses -sama, and obviously Kairu-sama means Prince Kyle!)

They're choices. And if the goal is for an entertaining experience for leechers like me, then it doesn't actually matter what the choice is, as long as the target audience understands it. Whether that target audience has newbies who've never read another mad dog manga, or someone who does know what every honorific they see means, is up to the TLer.

Relativism: The way to argue without actually coming to an agreement, since everything is relative and nothing is absolute.

Users who are viewing this thread