Saigo ni Hitotsu Dake Onegai Shite mo Yoroshii Deshou ka - Vol. 2 Ch. 8

@DoctusRex
well
Some romances start because you're genuinely interested and entertained by the actions of another person.
that's true, but prince is not one of those "normal" characters, is he? unlike the characters in those typical romance tropes, he has always objectified people, watching their actions and reactions like watching ants in an ant farm.
When you read what he says about the apple pie and how he always wanted to get it for her, you can definitely assume that he holds affection for her. You wouldn't really show this much courtesy towards something you view as an object no?
What if he merely wanted to see her reaction and not actually care about how she felt? It's like watching a rabbit try a lemon for the first time (it's a video on youtube go watch it!! LOL))
He is only amused by the fact that she is different than the usual "ants" i.e the nobles' society.
So I still don't believe this could be love.
I genuinely think that these two have some good chemistry together in a more twisted sort of way. These two definitely have different ways of thinking that might seem sinister to others but because of that view they can relate.
That part I agree with! That's what makes it so fun to read!

@ilaya
that's true, but prince is not one of those "normal" characters, is he? unlike the characters in those typical romance tropes, he has always objectified people, watching their actions and reactions like watching ants in an ant farm. [...] So I still don't believe this could be love.

I don't really think that it's love per se but more so fascination / attraction to the main heroine. While true, he has always objectified people it's not really such an unusual thing. Most people in modern society tend to do it, and I myself am also guilty of doing so. In the prince's case, it might just be that his fascination of there being a "different ant" made him more conscious of her thus resulting in him ultimately ending up being attracted to her. Similar to how a crush would be usually on one's mind but in a more twisted way. Also, a lot of people tend to tease the person they like and if the reactions are out of the norm (which the prince likes) then even better for him.

I also have a different definition for love so I wouldn't call this love but just a one sided attraction on the prince's side. Since the prince has only started interacting with her fairly recently without the context of ceremonies and such. So only now are they close enough to be called friends, so even if he did love her it would be kind of superficial.

@ilaya Kinda, it's just that your wording was off so I thought you just simply didn't see them in a more romantic light.

Fed-Kun's army
The fact that he knows his sense of 'love' is different from other people's makes his confession all the more genuine. It really isn't our usual understanding of it but we can't say it's 'wrong' either. For him, who seems to be a person open to learning and being corrected, this is what love is (for now). Hopefully, his understanding of it changes and grows.

I ship them because I can. lol And obviously, I hope the writer has big plans for their individual growth. If they don't end up with each other, I still wish that they grow bc of having known each other.

Damn, Julius is about to start tweeting out 'Bitches ain't shit', my man really just got done like that, daaaamn.

@ilaya I don't think he's objectifying her. If you think he's objectifying her because of the way he words it "the most interesting 'thing' of all, has to be you, Scarlet." just remember that this is originally in japanese and things may ever-so-slightly change thanks to translation. I highly doubt he actually refers her as a 物 (item). He probably said something along the lines of いちばんおもしろいのはあなた (then again i dont read the raws so idk)

But if you're saying he's objectifying her for another reason then idk what to say xD

@stellaaw
That's true, a lot of meaning is lost in translation, and it's a universal truth. But if you see his existing opinion on nobles, it really seems like he's objectifying her.

PS. Who's that hot boi in your pfp??? ;)

Contributor
He reaps what he sows in not being taken seriously =w=

@ilaya: Sorry for dredging this back up—feel free to ignore this—but it's a fascinating topic with fascinating characters, so as I've just finished this chapter I'm totally going to indulge myself weighing in XD (even if a lot of what I'm saying has already sort of been covered)

Just thinking... His perspective of her is certainly not "objectified" in any of the more usual relationship senses—that is, as a sex object, or a status symbol, or as a tool to some end. It's a more neutral dehumanization, like viewing someone as an entertaining TV show they're particularly fond of. Still not normally the basis of a healthy relationship, but...

Gets into interesting moral questions of whether his apparent inability to see anyone as fully human should bar him from romance in general: Especially given that he is presented self-aware that his "love" isn't exactly quite normal, and is open about that, is there room for such a consensual odd-relationship within the bounds of morality? (This presumes consent that he does not presently have, mind—but he's seeking it, it would seem.)

My first instinct is "yes, that should be fine if everyone's clear what's involved". Whether whatever follows would be "romance" in the traditional sense is a sort of interesting separate philosophical question; regardless, it seems like it could be a healthy relationship of some manner of affection, that I could appreciate without qualm.

Of course, his tendency towards sadism is an entirely separate problem I'm not addressing here.
(Oh, and he is at least conscious and cognizant of her wants and desires, so we're not talking the worst-case scenario as objectification goes, or I might lean a hair more skeptical. Zero functional empathy would be just about a non-starter for anything even resembling a relationship.)

@Pokari I agree, we fall in love for different reasons, it just so happens that he recognized immediately that he likes her personality and labeled her as interesting compared to other nobles.

I do think he was nurtured differently thus inciting a different way of thinking especially since he has been fully aware of his surroundings since young. He saw the nobles to be 'disgusting' for offering themselves up as his pawn then saw our FL who is enduring the same situation as he is (enduring disgusting people), he then instantly viewed her as a human who understands him.

I'm not saying his mindset is right but it does make sense.

Why must they explicitly say beastmen are nocturnal just to have an excuse for scarlet to hug doggy-nanaka? Nanaka had been working as a maid for 3 months. Maids work during the day... Just say that Nanaka was particularly tired that day or something. I really dislike it when a random small detail threw a wrench in the works like this.

Users who are viewing this thread