Saihate no Paladin - Ch. 62.4

This manga really handles the high fantasy setting better than almost anything out there in terms of scope and scale. Perhaps even more so than some of the old classics. My hats off to the author and mangaka.

Dex-chan lover
It's so good... if only it was not an isekai. Frieren proved that the isekai tag is not needed for real good fantasy to work.

Dex-chan lover
oh no.. it is not a complete decapitation. This is not the end yet

Dex-chan lover
Dragons are everywhere in fantasy media now as boring bog standard enemies, I can't stand it. I think Skyrim was the worst for this, I remember being really excited to fight dragons when it first came out. Sadly one of the first things you do is curbstomp one so every NPC in the game can tell you how cool you are and every dragon fight after that is exactly the same, completely undermining it's own story by making them nonthreatening. It's nice to see a dragon that's not just some dumb animal to be hunted. He can be shrewd and cunning or an overpowering force. He has an actual personality and got a fantastic build up that makes him feel legitimately menacing. It's nice to see someone get it right for once.
Skyrim was what i was thinking of when i said you can curbstomp in an hour of playtime. Sadly most games are like that. Only game where the dragon/s had presence and it felt good fighting it was Dragons dogma, highly recommend it. Especially since the second one is finally coming out next month.

Dex-chan lover
Skyrim was what i was thinking of when i said you can curbstomp in an hour of playtime. Sadly most games are like that. Only game where the dragon/s had presence and it felt good fighting it was Dragons dogma, highly recommend it. Especially since the second one is finally coming out next month.
I've played Dragons Dogma all the way through four or five times. it was a great game as long as you're not trying to go full warrior. Grigori felt menacing, I wish more stories aim for something like that with dragons. DD also handled magic a lot better most games, manga, movies, etc. I loved the high risk extremely high reward gameplay. it felt powerful and special, not just feel like another way to deal damage. I've always thought magic should be treated like a nuke not a gun.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I've played Dragons Dogma all the way through four or five times. it was a great game as long as you're not trying to go full warrior. Grigori felt menacing, I wish more stories aim for something like that with dragons. DD also handled magic a lot better most games, manga, movies, etc. I loved the high risk extremely high reward gameplay. it felt powerful and special, not just feel like another way to deal damage. I've always thought magic should be treated like a nuke not a gun.
I don't even remember how many times i've beaten the game. Got all achievos on multiple platforms. Magic archer needs to be a thing in more games. Other than that hope DD2 holds up, can't wait for next month.

Dex-chan lover
I don't even remember how many times i've beaten the game. Got all achievos on multiple platforms. Magic archer needs to be a thing in more games. Other than that hope DD2 holds up, can't wait for next month.
I had no idea it was coming out that soon. Anyway, Magic archer was great and Assassin was my number 2.

Double-page supporter
It's so good... if only it was not an isekai. Frieren proved that the isekai tag is not needed for real good fantasy to work.

Being an isekai is intrinsic to Will's characterization, though. The fact that he squandered his first life is why he's so hardcore about never giving up in this one. It doesn't get a whole lot of screentime, but it's always lurking in the background, and I don't think the story would be as good without a motivation like that. There's something more poignant about someone who gave up once getting a second chance and refusing to give up, over someone who just never gives up in the first place going through the same struggles.

I think this story is one that both needs the isekai tag and does it right, being up there with something like Escaflowne.

Dex-chan lover
Really not sure what I think of this fight. Valacirca is intimidating, but at the same time, feels like he has thrown this whole fight. I got it early on what with dragons being prideful but even after acknowledging Will as equal to the warriors of old it still didn't feel like he was taking it seriously.
Actually, Valacirca is so damn powerful that Will didn't have any hope to defeat him. Val knows it well, but he choose to humor Will and playing around with him.

It just that, Val never expected that Will got helped from two goddesses. That's when things got dicey for Valacirca.

Dex-chan lover
Being an isekai is intrinsic to Will's characterization, though. The fact that he squandered his first life is why he's so hardcore about never giving up in this one. It doesn't get a whole lot of screentime, but it's always lurking in the background, and I don't think the story would be as good without a motivation like that. There's something more poignant about someone who gave up once getting a second chance and refusing to give up, over someone who just never gives up in the first place going through the same struggles.

I think this story is one that both needs the isekai tag and does it right, being up there with something like Escaflowne.
All these trait could have easily be put into a character that was not resurected. All the best fantasy work have character that evolve based on their life, their hard work and all, but isekai are nearly always just here for the tag.
And this is such a case, author could easily remove the isekai and things would have worked just fine. It would actualy be better as the cliché "my past life was bad" ,that only exist for self insert, would not be present as it add nothing to the story.

Imagine if story like Berzerk or Frieren were isekai, sure the authors could have done it, but the isekai would still be a pointless addition made to just check the isekai tag.

Dex-chan lover
This is how you do this fight justice, taking what was already hype in Novel form and elevating with minor changes to better fit the medium and elevate it through beautiful art and dynamic compositions that feel epic.
Genuinely peak, few isekai come even close to how amazing this series is.

Users who are viewing this thread