Saihate no Paladin - Vol. 4 Ch. 16 - Duty

Finally an update.

@shouldsleep True, and the reason for him being reincarnated into this world isn't that deep either. The only point being for him as a reincarnator is his already mature mind and high aptitude to learn since he was a baby.

@VermillionOcean Yeah, but his chosen Waifu is the best for him. Though a little bit Tsundere.
<___< Then there's the Yandere Waifu....

Dex-chan lover
@shouldsleep
Saying that is denying most of his character development. Because of what happened to him in the "real" world he ended up taking some decisions that led him where he is now

MC: Let's go in!
Meneldor: ಠ_ಠ
MC: Okay~ Guess we'll think in a plan
Meneldor: *Explains the whole situation*
MC: Yeah, let's go crush them!
Meneldor: ಠ_ಠ Back to square one, huh.

@Bramia The problem with that is that we barely know anything about the mc pre-isekai, and aside from using it as a crutch to justify his connection to Gracefeel and being mature (which could be done in a lot of ways), it does not have any weight to the story, setting or characters at all. It is one hell of a good fantasy series, though, but calling it a great isekai feels weird because it barely functions as one.

(As a comparison, I wouldn't call Oregairu as a great romance story, but it is a great drama story. Just because a story includes a genre doesn't make it great in terms of that genre, but at the same time doesn't exclude it from being good in others)

Dex-chan lover
Turns out, when you've been training under three legendary heroes before you could walk, your sense of danger is a bit off from most people.
Heh.

Dex-chan lover
And that, ladies and gentlefolk, is how you play a Lawful Good Paladin.

Dex-chan lover
@shouldsleep
The thing is, isekai, just like reincarnation isn't really a genre. It's a theme. It's just a "thing that happened", and only happens once in almost every isekai series

@Bramia Oh but that's wrong, isekai is a sub-genre. It is one of those weird Japan semi-exclusive genres (another notable one is Slice of Life).

Heck even this site considers it a genre whereas thing like post-apocalyptic is considered a theme.

It's just a "thing that happened", and only happens once in almost every isekai series
By that virtue, romance is just a theme wherein there love just happens to occur.

Now 2 questions that potentially arise from this situation: First. If the likes of isekai and romance are genres (sub-genres or whatever) then what makes them different from themes like vampires or post-apocalypse?

Is it the approach? I mean you have a million ways that post-apocalypse has been rehashed whereas isekai has been so saturated that most of its tropes has been codified. But nah, that can't be right, this story itself is proof of that. It is isekai with barely any of the qualities.

Is it the pervasiveness? I mean isekai has saturated the industry so much that it became a sub-genre. Probably this, with the first point being a second consideration. I mean we have magical girl as a genre vs magic as a theme (oh the irony).

But now the 2nd question. If the genre isn't necessarily hinged on the tropes, apart from the most vital ones, then how the fuck can you say that calling this a great isekai weird?

Well quite simple actually: I'm not reading it for its isekai quality, nor does it add anything substantial. To say that it's a great isekai is to say that it uses the qualities of the genre to good use, which is, it barely uses it at all.

Dex-chan lover
preparation?
You mean
Dc7vJO9VAAEXPWe

Double-page supporter
Yes! Instead of
hang them all for crimes against their neighbors, he stands by his upbringing and vows to protect all under his vision!
This is really the best paladin story I've read in years.

Aggregator gang
@lurker123 what isekais you think are better than this ? And in what sense(history, fanservice, fights, etc) ?

I read the previous discussion just now, and I got a doubt, what makes Isekai be Isekai ? Cause I though Isekai was only the stories of the second lifes of MC's who got reincarnated or sent by other means to another world.

Users who are viewing this thread