Saihate no Paladin

I can't read this I literally cried near 5 times in the first 10 chapters. I can't be having my feelings played with like this. THE FEELS ARE TO STRONG

Dex-chan lover
This is a damned masterpiece. The tone and style is perfect fantasy. The character development is phenomenal. The world building fully immerses you. I genuinely laughed and cried reading this. It’s isekai in a pure form that acknowledges the trope while explaining it away and transcending the genre.

Simply amazing. 10/10.

Double-page supporter
The Isekai part basically plays no real part in the story outside of which god he chooses and making it more believable on how he acts.

The character building in this series is even better than "to you dear immortal" up to the Gugu arc and equal to world trigger in that department. Even small non-party members are written like actual humans and not just cardboards that cant think.

The actual worldbuilding in this is also extremely well done and told through different ways as well to enhance it. While it has religion as a big story point, due to it being about a paladin, it wasnt one sided lecturing, but showing how it affects them in good and bad ways.

The story has one of the longest prologues i know, but it builds one of the strongest foundations and was on top of that really interesting, despite only being build up. Also the bittersweetness of the prologue just adds an unique flavour to it that pulls recalls of character perfectly off.

This is probably my favourite running manga with Berserk, HxH, world trigger and Henkyou no Roukishi - Bard Loen.

@Zero13 isekai part plays somewhat meaningful part much, much later in the novel. Maybe another 25-35 chapters of manga till that point.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Dex-chan lover
Frankly, I was rather underwhelmed by the manga, especially minding its high ratings and comparisons to some of the other ongoing titles I read.

The main character being
a former NEET from our world
appears forced, simply there to provide him an excuse to act like a hysterical idiot from time to time, despite being brought up to be a warrior from birth.

The manga's initial chapters focus heavily on the undead who bring the MC up and their parental relationship with the MC, but for me that bit of the story didn't manage to paint them as original or convincing characters that I'd care deeply about. The fact that their overall plot arch is basically senseless makes it even worse in my opinion
: the god of undeath strikes a deal with them where they remain perpetually living undead so that they guard the seal that keeps the demon high king contained, but once they bring up the MC and he reaches adulthood (and not a day sooner), he comes to reclaim their souls because """they stopped caring about the seal"""??? The seal is still there and still needs guardians, meanwhile - but suddenly it's apparently irrelevant for the god?

But even if those initial chapters felt kinda underwhelming, they were at least somewhat original. The rest of the story that follows is basically bland generic adventure in a generic medieval world, only made better by the relatively well thought-out paganism-based religion system and relatively strong characterizations of the secondary characters, both inside the MC's party and outside it.

I'll also note that the manga's art looks rather outdated compared to some other ongoing titles that are head and shoulders above it in that department.

So all in all, I rate this manga a weak 7 out of 10: characters 8/10, setting 6/10, plot 7/10, art 4/10.

Double-page supporter
I read this because I hope Will and Menel will develop a shounen-ai relationship

I cried a lot reading these chapters.... Hope someone picks up this and translate it cuz im gonna cry a lot more.

Honestly I dont like dramabut this is great. Its perfectly balanced between action fantasy drama and slice of life. Every events developed the mc and you can learn lessons too so overall its great.

Users who are viewing this thread