Saihate no Paladin

if Menel dies i Will, i Will... Idk cry. He probs Wont did tho right? Right?
His arm looks done for tho, oh well maybe Magic can help

Fed-Kun's army
This manga has thus far been an absolute masterclass in how it approaches the story, the genre, and the characters.

The isekai genre has been, for a while now, grossly saturated with an abundance of sub-tier stories usually involving harems, easy living, slavery, overpowered abilities, lazy cliches and stereotypes, etc. Not this story.

Perhaps most brilliantly is how the author takes the same stupid cliches you’ve read over and over again and manages to breathe fresh life into the characters. I genuinely care about the characters.

The MC feels like a good balance of maturity and humility, with his past traumas helping to show why he acts in the manner he does. And yet he also manages to come off as naive and innocent, with a surprising stubbornness behind his actions. He doesn’t do what he does because it is the easiest way. He doesn’t do it because it will work. He doesn’t do it for the glory. He does what he does because he feels it is right.

The usual stereotypes of corruption, violence, and evil are also absent so far. Bandits aren’t just thugs who kill. Bandits are shown to be regular people who do bad things because they need to in order to survive. The leaders of various factions understand that their actions have significant ramifications to the people they are responsible for, so when they argue and bicker at each other while trying to establish control it doesn’t come off as just corrupt leaders vying for power.

Excellent story. It gets quite emotional at the right times, the MC has proper character growth, the people are nuanced and the implied philosophies sit right in one's conscience. You really come to respect MC's religion. The "evil" characters aren't stereotypes, the good characters have their faults. Probably the first isekai whose high rating I agree on.

This truly is an engaging story.
Unlike many isekai, the MC has depth and personality.
With his extremely fleshed out backstory, I actually care about what happens and it feels like there are actual stakes.
There's plenty of heartfelt moments and the story doesn't fall victim to many common tropes of the genre.
This is quality stuff.

Dex-chan lover
Just a piece of advice for the new readers.
You'll cry a lot, so bring tissues with you, it is far from the normal Isekai manga as you can guess from the high rating.
It's a sweet, sad but wonderful story, so much that I couldn't care less about the fantasy part really.

Edit: Also we finally get an mc that uses a spear as his main weapon so his character is an instant win to me!

People recommend this non stop, say how good it is, but for me is so hard to read because theres so much content that the author just rip off from kingkiller chronicles. If it was just the magic system it would be ok, but theres even dialogues that are exactly the same.

I decided to drop this. Its full of sad things that I can’t bear 😭😭 I honestly prefer happy unrealistic thing to read since it will make me happy too lol. Touching moments are fine but too much is not a good thing for me.

@SpacePriest Yeah, nah. They are wrong. First of all the magic systems are different, only common thing they might have are True Names, but don't forget that this is a common idea of magic amongst many cultures. Secondly the themes, characters, and story of the two works are completely different. This is about a Paladin, while kingkiller chronicles is about the amazing at everything and from a point on Sex God Kvothe, that never does anything wrong, and when he fails it is the fault of others.

What neoseh said, how is this like kingskiller lol

Anyway thanks for the update! Menel don't let MC become too emo, I relieve in you!!

Wait, this series is basically set in the DnD system. So unless Rothfuss has got a time machine we don't know about, you better redirect that plagarism bullshit to Gary Gygax and TSR, lmao. Kingkiller my ass, Rothfuss was busy being born while Gygax his team were sewing together the concepts of Tolkien, Stoker, Zelazny, Anderson, and so many others, lol. The modern conceptualization of 'fantasy' that is so uniformly understood around the world stems from people taking the time to do something like this. How easily we forget them. This especially includes the spell casting system for clerics and paladins seen here. Absolutely ridiculous.

Grow my little protagonist, grow! Bring on the angst and drama, and become an outstanding hero you can be proud of! Regardless of which fantasy work was used as the basis for this story, the plot alone makes it unique enough especially compared to other mainstream mangas and novels in the same genre.

Menel = Level 2 Ranger, Will = Level 9 Paladin...of course shit is going to get fucky! Time to power level your bro Will!

Double-page supporter
MC is overly kind and no one tries to take advantage of him (which is why I dislike this kind of stories) and magic doesn't make any sense if you think about it.
Other than that manga is great, has good world building, art, story. Definitely 8 or 9 out of 10.

Contributor
Anyone have a pic of the type of “mummy” the mummy is based on? I’m guessing it’s a loose translation.

Users who are viewing this thread