Saotome Senshu, Hitakakusu

Its a shame the end came about so abruptly. I still enjoyed the entire series and would recommend it to anyone who likes romcoms.

This. Was. Great.

I loved the boxing, the sportsmanship, the hilarity of the girls in Yae's class, the senpais of the boxing club were super relatable (especially you Fuki lol), the rivalry, the spectacle, and the art style tied it all together nicely.

The romance aspect was sprinkled into the story in just the right way, it wasn't overbearing but it wasn't at a standstill, every time Yae and Satoru were together their relationship progressed, even if by a little bit.

Only thing I didn't like was (and this is major spoilers, proceed with caution)
I wish they developed some of the side characters more, and I wanted to know more about Mito and her family life. Also, what happened to Satoru's parents? Why did he move from Kyoto to where he is now? I'm kinda upset that it was hinted at but never fully addressed.

I gave it 9 out of 10 because of what I said in the spoiler, but other than my complaint this was a fantastic read. The chapters are 10 pages or so each, so its a super quick read. I read it in over the span of 24 hours. I think reading manga like this all at once is better for keeping the excitement going. Idk that's my opinion, but I often binge my manga lol.

Anyway, if you are looking for a shorter, easy to digest manga, then you have found the right one.

Saotome Senshu Hitakausu is really a diamond in the rough.

This story was such a delight to read, and I don’t normally read sports-themed manga. Thank you so much for translating it, Cyan Steam!

So much more I want to see. Wedding, kids, but I loved seeing the ring on the finger ❤️

Double-page supporter
The abrupt ending and lack of a real epilogue has the fingerprints of an overzealous editor written all over it.

Wakano, Saotome, Satoru and the Hanami sisters were the only characters who had developed at all in the 2 year time jump between the final 2 chapters...

It seems to me that the mangaka planned to make more than 10 volumes, but the editor wanted to have "a nice round number of volumes;" so a lot of side character development was cast aside to maintain the integrity of the plot.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the series didn't drag on aimlessly (yeah, I'm looking at you Rokudou), but this manga suffered from the usual "Final Volume Syndrome," where the plot accelerates at the speed of sound to wrap up the story.

Users who are viewing this thread