Satoko to Nada

Dex-chan lover
I'm guessing this is one of those series that are based on extremely personal and anecdotal experiences that are easily criticized for not being accurate or representative. The synopsis sets it up for failure by describing the cast by their ethnicity and nationality rather than it just being a minor character trait. They stop being their own people and become representatives of their respective cultures. Another common flaw in these types of stories is that they are extremely time specific and become antiquated. Someone mentioned a theater butter dispenser for popcorn but college students don't even go to theaters these days. Assimilation can be a rapid phenomenon and while Japanese and Arab culture may have been alien to the US and vice versa when Marie Nishimori was in college, it would be hard to find an American college student not familiar with hookah bars and sushi today. Modern Saudi Arabia and Japan are also two of the most Westernized nations in Asia, and the least likely for culture shock moments.

Group Leader
@Ironclad I don't believe that is an "official" series description. Statements from the raw site and the Amazon page for the first volume give this:

Raws: はじめてのアメリカ、はじめての共同生活。ふたりでなら、何だって楽しい。この作品はエッセイではなく、フィクションです。
English: My first time in America, and my first time living together with someone else. If it's us two, anything will become enjoyable. This is not an essay, it is a work of fiction.
Amazon: ルームメイトはサウジアラビアの女の子!?初めてのアメリカ、イスラム文化、ひとつ屋根の下で繰り広げられる魅惑の異文化交流ライフ
English: My roommate is a Saudi Arabian girl!? My first time in America, encountering Islamic culture, and our life living under the same roof while fascinating cultural exchanges take place.

So yeah, the Amazon page does mention Nada's nationality, but the cultural aspect is highlighted more. This manga is about two people living together (even just the challenges that come from co-habitation and a new country) and the cultural trivia that arises from everyday interactions. True, they don't touch as much on more serious issues but this is meant to be fun. While America is a mix of lots of cultures and peoples, you're much less likely to find someone from Saudi Arabia in Japan than you are in the US. Do keep in mind that this wasn't written for American audiences, it was just translated into English. And yes, things become outdated and there's not much you can do about that. This isn't like a blog where if something shifts you can write a new post or update that entry. This isn't meant to be an essay, either. It's fiction. I see your points about objectifying these girls into their nationalities, and I'll admit you have that.

Group Leader
Why this tagged as korean, but when I tried to edit it, it shows japanese?

They really need to make a “page by page “ tag so that I can exclude it ,it’s so annoying 😣

@K00K13 in some islamic country female are required to have circumcision too. you can google sunat if you want to learn more, but here to start you with: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_mutilation

@peachyv Oof I myself am Muslim but I've never heard of this. I only know that it's sunat to circumcise boys, like they do in Judaism, so this is all pretty startling to find out about 😟. Thanks for the link and clarification though! I really appreciate it

@K00K13 no probs! i live in malaysia, where its p much a big thing here for muslimah to receive sunat (or else they'll regarded by some people as dirty, impure).

@peachyv Apart from how rude you intentionally set up your comment to be, it's completely false :\ female circumcision is an ancient tradition carried out by certain ethnic groups (mainly in Africa) and has nothing to do with Islam since these ethnic groups started it far before they were introduced to Islam such as ancient Egypt (mainly because the clitoris has no other function except for pleasure) islam prohibits such things especially from where the girl is because sexual pleasure is a granted right as long it is done with one's spouse. I made this account just to clear things up.
To summarize, * female circumcision is an ethnic tradition that has nothing to do with religion. Although some muslims might be doing it, they don't do it because islam told them* Please.. please search for info before trying to be an edgelord. And thank you

PS: most of the countries mentioned are not islamic :)

@Duh8 TLDR i was speaking mostly from my own fgm experience/culture in my country and what i thought was relevant to the comment/manga. i apologize, and if you want, i can edit my comment out.

--
to clarify in my og comment i state "some". i didn't said that islam started fgm or anything of the sort. in fact, if you clicked on the link i put on the comment it didn't said that too.

this is a hard topic to word out because your words are true, yes, (i do agree) that islam has nothing to do with fgm.

Although some muslims might be doing it, they don't do it because islam told them

again, this is true. it should be true bc if you looked anyw in al-quran and such, it is never mentioned.

its just that most people, or well, people in SEA country (malaysian muslim etc) has already set on linked fgm to "islam" bc its tradition to them. its one of the biggest misconception in here.

(https://www.therakyatpost.com/2020/02/10/female-genital-mutilation-in-malaysia-explained/amp/. you can read more here abt fg + islam (malaysia) misconception)

and tbh i was just clarifying what i though @/Mystery0000 was saying back then (one of the char is muslimah, and well, since i myself am one, so).

thank you for the educational response btw. looking back, my comment does seem rude etc. if you want, i can edit my comment out.

Users who are viewing this thread