Saving 80,000 Gold in Another World for My Retirement - Vol. 5 Ch. 38 - Interviewer Mitsuha

I know it is a common trope that we know more now than before in fiction like this but there was knowledge in the ancient past that is gone now that was replaced by more modern knowledge. She almost certainly will not know those things which would have been tailored to the times. An example are old medical practices that worked but we have better modern methods now due to technological development. Same with engineering methods that are not used anymore due to modern technology but would have been very useful then were heavy machinery was not available.

An example would be Arsphenamine which was used before stuff like antibiotics was developed. Side effects are really bad so it is not used anymore but it worked. Another one is Manuka honey which has antimicrobial properties.

Some techniques are lost to us like what was probably used to construct the pyramids.

Fed-Kun's army
i hope she only decline the dude for his personality
basic education is still a nice idea
it might be trivial knowledge to her, but how about her people?

Aggregator gang
@yohane IIRC, in the light novel,
Mitsuha does set up a school in her town for the children. I think she sets it up so they're educated in her home. I think Colette joins her staff and helps with the kids.
So Mitsuha did the right thing by chasing out a guy who's obviously out for himself and doesn't give a crap about children.

Group Leader
Wao, there's so much salt going around in the comments. =v=

I'd like to offer this: the guy coming to establish relations proved he wasn't trustworthy, so working with him would be difficult if not impossible. It also took less than five minutes for Mitsuha to call him on all his most valuable cards; by her perspective, leaving education to an institution that's still in its developmental stages and would be teaching incorrect principles based on an incomplete understanding would be counter-intuitive. Disregard for human life just adds to the "I can't trust you, so why would I hire you?"

I'm not saying she's not handling it badly, though. Bluntly and roughly, yes, but she's getting things done. She's only 18. Also, to some extent, when you're young and female... if you don't pull moves like this, people will honestly disregard you. I'm facing the "You're young and female, shut up and obey the men" attitude IRL right now, so Mitsuha has my sympathies 100%. TTvTT

Dex-chan lover
@Nolonar I don't know why it matters whether she bothers with the guy or not. She could easily just get teachers from a different source. She's got enough allies to get the job done rather swiftly. Her "family", the royal family, various nobles from the kingdom... Surely there'd be at least one of them who has knowledge of a teacher or two worth pulling some strings for.

If none of that works, hell she can just grab a teacher from her own world. These people may write a different language, but the speech problem is resolved and I'm sure this society still operates on word of mouth and diagrams for the most part.

If all else fails she can grab a projector, rip some youtube video lectures and wing it from there until she works things out. Not like she'll run out of time to improve things when advanced academics are still at the flat earth level.

Dex-chan lover
@knight_evangel
I don't know why it matters whether she bothers with the guy or not. She could easily just get teachers from a different source. She's got enough allies to get the job done rather swiftly. Her "family", the royal family, various nobles from the kingdom... Surely there'd be at least one of them who has knowledge of a teacher or two worth pulling some strings for.
That is true.
Still, she could've made use of those guys with just one sentence. Now she can't.

If she ever chooses to bother with education (and she should if she's smart) she'd now need to spend more time and effort than just saying: "go call for another scientist for the purpose of opening a school."
She could even use those people and their resources to actually build that school, then kick out the teacher (if he's untrustworthy) and replace him with one from a more trustworthy source.

Hence why she handled the situation poorly.

If none of that works, hell she can just grab a teacher from her own world. These people may write a different language, but the speech problem is resolved and I'm sure this society still operates on word of mouth and diagrams for the most part.
No, the speech problem isn't resolved at all.
Like I already said before, the only reason Mitsuha can communicate with these people is because of a skill she got, alongside her ability to warp.
Just re-read chapter 3, page 8.

If all else fails she can grab a projector, rip some youtube video lectures and wing it from there until she works things out. Not like she'll run out of time to improve things when advanced academics are still at the flat earth level.
See above. Those people won't even understand what the videos are saying.

Also, advanced academics are no longer at the flat Earth level. The scholar literally started his sales pitch with: "did you know the Earth is spinning around the sun?" This theory is fundamentally incompatible with "flat Earth".

Besides, using "advanced academics" as counterargument is the wrong priority. Education starts with the basics, not "advanced academics". Teach them to read, write, and calculate first. There's plenty of time to find better teachers in the meantime.

Dex-chan lover
@Nolonar I think it's naive to place so much value on a single opportunity, especially in a story told from the perspective of a small business owner (talk about an occupation where there's always losses? PHEW) The funny thing is, you can actually lose credibility simply by doing business with certain folks in these type of stories. It's all about position and leverage. And guess who has more in this scenario despite being an infant territory in an extremely rural landscape?

How about the savior of an entire kingdom? Yeah, this chapter actually makes it obvious that people are begging to get some business from her, three of them at once came to the territory almost before the fief lord herself got there. She CAN afford to refuse this man's service, because (similar to my point about teacher's from other sources) I'm willing to bet there are other lecturers already walking to her doorstep(metaphorically) if not running. Why can't there be other schools? Why shouldn't THEY work their ass off for a chance to work for this upcoming fief? Heck...as far as I'm concerned they should've sent their top professor, and one with his own dang bodyguard so he wouldn't have to puss out in an encounter like this.

In fact now that I think about it, I don't think this academy is actually as much of a big shot as he says it is. He could be outright lying. He didn't show a badge, didn't have a book on him and didn't bring any papers of any kind to show his authority as an ambassador of this school.

Honestly, from my point of view, getting a teacher from any of the sources I named would already be a more trustworthy source.

And even if it were the easier path, if you weren't willing to put some work into being a fief lord as a compromise for saving face, then perhaps you should've chosen a different occupation.

Alright, you got me there(almost). Forget the non-isekai teachers then(again, not like she needs them I'm sure she will find sources in her world).

But for the record, we have proof that technology doesn't deter her skill (the megaphone speaker). So we know she could record her lectures. FYI I'm not sure how many people are in the village but I've been in a college class with around 80 students. I imagine you're going to make a remark that learning a new language(or math) requires hands on teaching for each student but this isn't like high school where you erase the board, she has the technology(and the money to hire an entire mercenary group, so she has the technology in great quantities as well). Even in our world we have language classes that adults take and not all of them are hands-on taught where you get help on every little thing. For those who are slower in their classes they can have their questions addressed by the teachers she brings. Then once things get past elementary level she can lecture the teachers who can in turn lecture classes.

In any case, I don't think this argument is very black and white. I can see you disagreeing with me even after I've made these points because you are clearly a different kind of politician than me and her, but that is fine. I just hope I was able to show this side of the opinions a bit more clearly.

Dex-chan lover
@Nolonar @knight_evangel she hasn't lost any chance to promove education since actually that "scientist " is a theorist researcher, not a teacher, thus she easily could look into the nobles which already have influences and contact one to have her own elementary or basic school.

Also instead of using teachings and/or advanced topics from earth she could use modern technology to record from a single teacher, lectures to teach her own people.

@UntappedChaos I agree with you trust and reputation are a essential thing regardless of area of expertise. One only have to think on oneself and say if i can do any kind of job or business with this guy if he is not trustworthy (chance to backstab or to commit fraud) and reputation, since an employee is a representative of a business such as a citizen is a representative of his/her nation of origin.

Dex-chan lover
@Wizardrone

You tagged me by accident (if it was on purpose then trust me I've already said what you said and then some, you gotta read the whole reply man...).

Dex-chan lover
@Nolonar
Uhm... hate to spoiler it for you.
But if you can RECRUIT the whole USA Harvard uni, would you consider it's a waste not to hire a bad personality scientist from there?

She came directly to that school (in Isekai world), SPONSOR and RECRUIT people with good personality later.
Worse, she recruits professionals from Earth itself.

Dex-chan lover
@Loli_Omamoritai
I'm not sure I understood your reply properly. You seem to disagree with me, but nothing you say actually contradicts me.

Uhm... hate to spoiler it for you.
But if you can RECRUIT the whole USA Harvard uni, would you consider it's a waste not to hire a bad personality scientist from there?
1. If that was a spoiler, it should've been in the spoiler tag, not outside of it.

2. DON'T hire him. He's already proven to be unreliable. Why would you want to hire him?
I've already explained what I think she should've done with him, and I don't feel like repeating myself all the time.

About the spoiler: You're basically confirming I was right. She wasted her time because she couldn't use someone else's.

@Loli_Omamoritai
>But if you can RECRUIT the whole USA Harvard uni, would you consider it's a waste not to hire a bad personality scientist from there?
Nah man, no one wants a bunch of spooks composed of CIA, NSA, FBI, ATF, CNN, MSNBC fuck up my isekai.

Dex-chan lover
@Nolonar
What you said:
"Hence why she handled the situation poorly."
Hell, why would she accept a "CON ARTIST"?
That man is basically a student.
He learned some knowledge from the professor and wanted to show off.
He tricked even his own professor.

"I've already explained what I think she should've done with him"
The professor WON'T EVEN FIRE that man even with Mitsuha's demand.
How can a sponsor decide which people to use or to fire?
She isn't the head-master or employer.
The best she can't do is forbid that man to touch her funds to the academy.
Try to sponsor an academy and demand them to fire a professor to see if that academy agrees. (only a decent amount of money, not that much, she needs to build her land as well)

"Besides, using "advanced academics" as counterargument is the wrong priority."
Yeah, and that man wants to teach "advanced academics" which she considers useless.
Allow me to take your words
"Education starts with the basics, not "advanced academics"."
She teaches people of her land the basic, practical, useful knowledge.
Not some useless Advanced "science knowledge" from that man.

If she needs to use advanced "science knowledge", she asks scientists from the Earth.
More details, the country she has "negotiation policies" with.
For example: Just thinking if you provide "another world's animals and plants" to the U.S.A government, do you think they can gather scientists to help you draw a plan to build a water dam?

Dex-chan lover
@Loli_Omamoritai
What you said:
"Hence why she handled the situation poorly."
Look, you obviously didn't even understand what I was trying to say, so there's no point in discussing this any further.

Can we drop this now?

Dex-chan lover
@Nolonar
Of course, I don't understand both your logic and what you want to say because it's REALLY STRANGE.

"That is true.
Still, she could've made use of those guys with just one sentence. Now she can't.
"

May you bless me what do you mean by this? Who are "those guys"? And which "one sentence"?

Look, you are the one who doesn't understand the situation here.
This is an interview.
A meeting face to face, in order to get hired. You evaluate each person in their turn.
The employer doesn't like someone because he is useless and has a bad personality, so she just kicks him out in the interview.

The C.E.O of a company kicks a student of Harvard uni so she can't use the other students from Harvard uni anymore? "Hence why she handled the situation poorly" (I can't understand your logic)
In real life, the C.E.O can kick one person in an interview and hires the rest easily.

The C.E.O of a company should bother to hire one student in order to make use of these people in Harvard uni with one sentence? (I can't understand your logic, again)
How? May you bless me which "one sentence" I can say to one student of Harvard uni, in order to make use of all professors in Harvard uni?
I think you mistake that one student (that man) as the headmaster of Harvard uni.

If she doesn't like him, she can kick him anytime? (I can't understand your logic, again)
Why not just kick him right now? he is useless and has a bad personality.
What if people who don't know the detail think that she changes like the weather and kicks anyone without reason? (What that man really tries to spread but she reveals the truth)

TL;DR:
Do you know this is an interview?
See how people in real life do in an interview.
That man will never be able to get hired with that attitude in an interview.
They won't hire a useless man just to kick him anytime they want later.

Dex-chan lover
@Loli_Omamoritai
Of course, I don't understand both your logic and what you want to say because it's REALLY STRANGE.
I literally wrote 7 posts in response to 3 other guys. If you still didn't understand my reasoning after that, what makes you think anything I'll say to you will change that?

I also literally wrote:
DON'T hire him. He's already proven to be unreliable. Why would you want to hire him?
In response to YOU.

To which your reply was:

So much for "strange logic".

Again: can we drop this?
We're not even talking about the same thing anymore. At this point you're only wasting my time and yours.
Do something more useful with your life. Improving your reading comprehension would be a start.

Users who are viewing this thread