Sayonara Mangadex, putting down our rose colored glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
It pisses me off that these big scanlation groups are acting all holier-than-thou like them leaving Mangadex is some grand act to support the scanlation community.

News flash, without mangadex, small-time scanlators will go back to posting on whatever miscellaneous blog they can find - or will just stop posting because it's hard to get motivated when almost no one's reading the stuff you post on your random Tumblr blog. I guess I'd probably post on imgur or something and link to Reddit myself. I'm sure that would be a fun read for people.

Support your own interests, fine, but don't act like you're doing something good for the community. By refusing to support MD in even the smallest way (Didn't most of you have delays already? How much traffic are you really losing?), you're also refusing to support smaller scanlation groups.

Dex-chan lover
@Holo Sorry but allowing them to do that was a bad idea. You essentially gave them the power to use MangaDex to advertise their own page (since no one is going to wait two fucking weeks to read something that is available somewhere else at the moment) and then cause some drama and leave the first chance they got.

I don't agree with what these groups are doing but at the very least I can respect their contributions to the site (at least the ones whose chapters I read) and I think they are in their right to leave if they want to, as little as their reasons make sense to me, but this group is the exception. Like, seriously Jaimini Box, what the fuck are you doing taking part of this? How can you even consider yourself a legit part of this site and act as if you have been mistreated? You were never really part of this site, you clearly never gave a fuck about the purpose of MangaDex, you only used it to promote your own fucking manga reader, even getting the staff to allow that absolutely obnoxious two weeks delay crap to ensure people would go there and now you go and try to fuck over a site that you never cared about by joining other groups that at the very least can actually consider themselves part of this community and thus feel insulted/attacked/whatever.

Do you people have no fucking shame?

HAHAHAHAH sorry what? I just can't not commenting on this shit, $55 for raw? $45 of it is for transportation? what the fug

I mean, see you guys when you kiss and makeup. I don't have the time to read on 20 different sites because of what has more or less been the norm sense forever. I also don't have the time or ability to search for the series you translate because I can't fucking find them if they're not already on an aggregate.

Group Leader
welp back to kissmanga or mangakalot or mangarock or whatever aggregator now

kinda sound like entitled little bitches but whatever, it's your shit do what you want with it.

Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum...

Ngl, this is just gonna lead to someone sniping some of the series or more people going to pirate aggregate sites out of sheer laziness, as most people are waaay too lazy to actually go to individual scanlators sites... On top of that, like @viridiansky mentioned, if MD was to ever go down, the ones it would really hurt are readers and smaller scanlation groups, tbh.

Just seems so weird to burn all bridges like this - why not just pull out your things/not upload here anymore, provide a short statement as to why, preferably without slandering, as that just comes off as petty drama, like, well, now... And that would really be it. Some people would undoubtedly be upset, for sure, but nowhere near the same scale as now, lol...

I am saddened and utterly confused by this move...

@Inverness

Let's put it this way. Holo and Mangadex are planning on monoplizing scanslations, and then going legit to kill fan scanslations completely.

This is in complete opposition to the stated goals of Scan groups like Jamin Box, Meraki, Hatigarm etc. Which is to not go legit and continue the donation chain gravy and read their own releases etc.

After having learned that, can you blame them? Those groups might be scum, but I didn't know Mangadex was planning this scanslation monopoly thing and then trying to kill all fan scanslation off.

That severely undermines my long term faith in Mangadex. The more successful Mangadex is, the closer they get to being useless as a scanslator resource. You can bet I will tell my Scanslator friends about this and start exploring contingency plans etc.

Double-page supporter
Lots of text walls here, feel sorry for the people who happen to read them all. I can’t help but thinking that the flak for the delays would disappear if the delayed chapters were not visible to most users. That would reduce potential traffic to the scanners sites but it would stop the complaining. Also you don’t really need to listen to the complaints about the delays. You never can make everyone happy, only satisfied.
As for if the site goes legitimate, really? you are complaining about a future possibility where the site admins don’t have to worry about facing possible legal issues.
I never donate and always use an ad blocker so don’t expect to get money from me. Especially the scanner saying that they have to stay home and take care of their mother, get a job, earn money and hire a nurse to do that.

Group Leader
Welp I'm glad the groups that do the mangas I read haven't pulled out. I'ma go sip my bl juice.
I also agree with the small scanlator comment by viridiansky. I don't even know how to create a tumblr post.

Miku best girl
Admin
@crazybars

I don't think that's entirely fair. Did you miss the bit where I said I would actually hire scanlators in the 0.0000000001% chance that it happens?

Going legit is basically a meme at this point, and OP has made a non-story into a story.

@crazybars I don't think that is their real goal. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you think its like a 'take over the world' pipe dream. But i think even they realize the low chance of it happening and moreas just want to secure a viable future for Scanlators.

If anything it should reaffirm the long term faith of Scanlators and yourself

@viridiansky

They are putting this dirty laundry about Mangadex trying to monopolize Scanslations and then killing Fan scanslations by going legit themselves because they know it will work.

When I as someone who works with scanslators hears that, I have to begin making plans to abandon Mangadex and get my scanslator group to host manga scans as a backup after hearing about Mangadex's stated goal.

Jamin, Hatigarm and Champion scans ain't playing fair and they're scum, but they know how we scanslators think.

@crazybars right, because Crunchyroll going legit totally killed the fansubs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seriously, not even the publishers could kill off scanlations, how should one site, no matter how successful do it? This is the internet, if you stop someone from doing something there is always someone else who will do it instead.

Can I anti sign? Because this is some fucking cry baby BS. You have every to leave the site, and I have the right to call you entitled little children that are upset that MD doesn't cater to your every want.

Fuck off, I'll be reading your shit on aggregate sites. Right after I make another donation to MD.

Dex-chan lover
@crazybars They are not planning shit, it's some pretty much impossible dream of going legit without purging content that they apparently brought up a year ago.

Out of context quotes were used to present this situation as some incoming catastrophe when it's more like me talking about having a threesome with Natalie Dormer and Ana de Armas.

Should a day come when MD actually tries to do what you are saying, I'll be the first to fuck off but it's clear that day is unlikely to ever come and those comments are being used to demonize the staff.

Power Uploader
@crazybars Are you dumb? How is MangaDex going legit going to kill the fan translation business? I remind you that one of the signatories of this "manifesto", Jaimini's, is currently translating manga that already have an official translation from Viz available for free to everyone. That didn't stop the scanlations, so how is another legal service going to stop them?

So an extremely cherry picked, out of context, conversation is your reasoning to burning all bridges with the 1 site that actually gives any sh*ts and in the process push people to use aggregate sites that give 0 sh*ts?

This is such a petty move and just hurts the readers more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread