Sayonara Mangadex, putting down our rose colored glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
Huh. This sure.... happened.
I don't think the main "idea" (as hard as it is to pin down) of this retreat is very substantial. The notion that MangaDex might someday find some way to become a legitimate business is not really as much of a specter as its being treated as. I could maybe imagine reacting this way if they were like, officially already on their way to becoming a business. But wouldn't that just entail being an online publisher at that point? This is awfully confusing. All I know is I don't support Fakku (the only thing close to being a reference point for what I think is being discussed here), and my own brother fucking works there.

I'm going to do what's in my own best interest, which is to continue cultivating an audience here so that, should there ever come a time when MangaDex does take a big shit (whatever the cause), I'll know there are still people who'd read my work somewhere else, and I'd have a reason to continue scanlating lmao

However, I will say that @ficulyus 's comment really stood out to me. I think there's an unfortunate side effect here of this kind of mob mentality dog-pile effect when people dissent or otherwise don't support MangaDex, and it's not one that's very easy to curb. Especially given that staff seems to actively not make any attempts to do so, lol. Use of this site is supposed to be at-will. There are a lot of benefits to hosting work for an audience here, but it's not the end-all-be-all scene for scanlation. Whether or not I agree with whatever reasons scan groups may come up with for not using this site, I don't really agree with hating them simply because they've done something that makes my life slightly less convenient. Being able to read manga online at all already feels more convenient than not being able to, lol (sorry if that comes off kinda preachy).

Dex-chan lover
@Confused : "a majority of readers just want a site where they can read whatever the heck they want in a convenient place for free"

Literally this.
The links that redirected to scanlator sites were not that big of an inconvenience since I could at least access it from MD. What will be an inconvenience is having to revisit a bunch of different scanlator websites anytime I want to read anything that I am following that isn't hosted on one centralized site.
It honestly sounds like these scanlator groups already understand that most readers who really don't give a fuck will just go back to shitty aggregator sites like kissmanga anyways but that's okay because at least those readers aren't using MD!!!
I totally agree and understand that scanlators' should have rights to their own TLs and that MD should respect scanlators' decisions if they want to pull out for any reason. If the reason isn't a good one though then I hope those scanlators will at least understand why they're receiving disdain.

Fed-Kun's army
@rickytheflicky Have you perhaps look into how MD was DDOS-ed? Why did MD disable manga search for guests? Did you ever consider this account was made so that it circumvents the guest restriction?

Contributor
@Acolytus
The first one is of course
Q: Do you wish to make a Loli Protecc Service that will protecc all the world's lolis?
A: Good question, haven't really given much of a thought, tbh

Holo is now being tracked by the loli FBI because he no support Loli Protecc Service, he no think of Loli

Contributor
if mdex is going or wants to go legal, then I have no reason to contribute to this community anymore. and yes, i'm pretty sure it was a secret that mdex is going to go legal even if it's minimal. (wtf is minimal, really?)

Dex-chan lover
Average user will not find those scanlators' sites, so they will read their translations in an aggregator site without even knowing who translated it because that aggregator site removed the scanlator's credits page. Thus the scanlator will receive less money

But if they stay on MD and MD increases its rank. Average user will start reading their manga on MD. They will know who translated it. They will find a link to scanlator's website. Then the scanlator will receive more money

While I do get that the scanlators's job isn't profitable, my ironclad rule is to never support anyone who shows sign of dishonesty when presenting themselves. If all of this is about money in the end, then just fricking admit it instead of beating around the bush and stir up drama this way. Shameful behaviour really, for some of the groups that are well respected for their scanlations.

I honestly find this situation to be completely ridiculous. Let's start with the fact that the groups were never forced into this platform, they were provided with an opportunity to aggregrate all the mangas to a single place, so that they may become more well known. They are allowed to link their own websites, they could even ask for support on this platform or inside the manga chapters. The fact that they all can delete their uploads at their leisure just shows how much freedom those scanlators truely posses.

Which brings me back to my point, was this kind of hit piece really necessary?

@threeflappp

Yeah, that's what I thought, I thought it was stupid so I quit.

So many fansub groups I joined died thinking that way, it was soul crushing.

Dex-chan lover
Oh wow, even after reading all the comments on this thread, I still don't get what is really happening here.

Dex-chan lover
inb4 one week after this pseudo-exodus 3/4 of the groups that left come back claiming they "had a in-depth talk with the staff where we exposed our views and cleared some misunderstandings" or some bullshit like that and start posting again while pretending this never happened.

Dex-chan lover
@Tsubakura

Yeh, which is why this whole thread is pretty much a sham. Just an excuse for both sides to keep flinging shit at each other and attempt to take the morale high ground.

Group Leader
@Hamin In that case, I'll break out the low-quality memes.
h6B046CF8

Group Leader
I mean raws shouldn't cost like $45 unless you're illegally obtaining raws and releasing scanned chapters before they're even released in Japan lmao. Nice 2-3 week release delay btw. Nothing much was lost lmao.

@Confused
no, it was never a secret. just because you didn't know doesn't make it a secret, sorry. i have to clarify however it is a very unlikely long term goal.

anyway, this whole thread is laughable honestly. feels like a temper tantrum. it's even more hilarious that jaiminis box is one of the main scanlators behind this. the group that actively buys stolen raws to get series out earlier than jp. the group that said they wouldn't do tower of god after controversy then a month later do it anyway. moneys tight I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread