Sayonara Mangadex, putting down our rose colored glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fed-Kun's army
@Yoroshie They don't deserve anything. They are profitting off the art from an artist that's spending their life doing it. Scanslation used to be about passion for the work.

It sucks that it's not the case anymore.

@Teasday
It's been a bit frustrating to me that we haven't had anything proper to give back to the donators yet (other than the continued existence of the site), so I would've thought giving at least the opportunity to exchange that money into physical goods instead would be welcomed

See, this is what I thought about it first, you guys even made a poll and everything first about the merch, I guess they are making this opportunity to smear/spread false information...

Came to this thread way late but I read through the entire thing (Thank you all for some great posts) and all i have to say is Fuck you to all those that "Signed" this and removed your chapters, especially on the ones where you got DMCA'd (Looking at you Meraki) With so many broken libraries and none of the chapters hosted on your own site, you have all but assured my return to the worst aggregator sites just to re-read my favorites.

Yes i understand its your own right to remove your chapters but that dosen't mean i have to be happy about it

@YoroShie You do not deserve to make money off of an illegal activity. Period. The main argument people use to justify scanlations is "giving it a larger fanbase", however many of JB's translations are available in a licensed format such as M+ or Viz, and they still continue to release before the official date (which comes from essentially stealing volumes before release date, which is, once again, illegal).

Additionally, if you think MD doesn't provide enough, or they're leeching off of translators, consider the fact that they have to host and maintain a hub that is prone to malicious attacks that they have to deal with, they have to constantly upgrade and maintain their servers, etc. It's not easy. Saying MD is only successful because of early traffic generated is wrong. They're successful because they have a sustainable model, a good reader, and have no ads and are relatively transparent. Additionally, it's not like groups haven't benefited off of MD. JB literally got a 2 week delay, and they're mostly on MD just to raise awareness for their site. MD allows for viewing of less well-known scanlations and groups.

Finally, if you cannot sustain your scanlation habit, drop it. Don't complain about not receiving profits for your time and money because as I've reiterated, you shouldn't make money/profit of off an illegal activity. I don't mind recouping your loss, but it's clear that many of these scanlators are using translations to turn a quick profit.

Edit: Are you seriously complaining about people reading for free, which you enable? If you're unhappy about that, just turn on a paywall. You don't get to complain about readers not paying for an illegal scanlation that you're essentially riding the author's coattails on.

Double-page supporter
@Teasday are...are you pulling my leg? or did I read something in the comments wrong( I only got to page 9 before I posted..didn't know there were 20~ pages to read through) is it happening(in the future)? is it not? shouldn't this be something someone tagged "developer" should know?? forgive me if I'm off base about anything, it's really hard to understand everything going on when half the comments are "he said she said" and the other half is just insults at one side or the other.

Double-page supporter
bro i just want to read some anime bitches being cute, why is it so harddddddddddd

So instead of settling for an aggregate site that actually enforces delay policies and has convenient ways of checking out scanlator websites for series (which have a net effect of driving people to their sites to read without delays), scanlators are pulling a hissy fit and making everyone use other aggregate sites which don't respect scanlator policies because no one wants to go around following a bunch of individual scanlator sites with shitty readers, failing to solve anything and just inconveniencing the readers?

Fucking amazing. This is some 2 billion IQ shit.

Dex-chan lover
@traveling_chef They aren't going legit. All the staff recognize that going legit is a pipe dream, but it's still fun to dream and joke about it.

Dex-chan lover
@traveling_chef It's a pipe dream they know it's unlikely to happen (and some of them don't even want it to happen).

The screencaps were posted out of context and in such a way that it wasn't clear that their dream of going legit is as possible as my dream of going to the Oscars in sweatpants.

Power Uploader
@Violu Just a side note, some of Hati's series will be remastered and re-released if they ever go away, so you can take them off the list. - they might be removed but will 100% come back soon.

3D Kanojo
Baka to Boing
Boku no Kanojo ga Majime Sugiru Shojo Bitch na Ken
Dousei Seikatsu
Hammer Session!
Hammer Session! in High School
Hentai Elf to Majime Orc
Masamune-kun no Re ○○○
Masamune-kun no Revenge after school
Mighty Heart
Onimote
Ore ga Ojou-sama Gakkou ni "Shomin Sample" Toshite Rachirareta Ken
Seirei-tachi no Rakuen to Risou no Isekai Seikatsu
Sengoku Rance
Yuu & Mi

Series that no need to be put back:

ReRe Hello - Chibi Manga's version already available
Saotome Shimai Ha Manga no Tame Nara!? - Already taken by Dumpster Fire Scans

Dex-chan lover
What a shitshow. I have a lot of thoughts on this, but I strongly suspect that at the end of my life I will regard any time spent typing up those thoughts or engaging in any arguments here as a waste, so I'll keep silent on the matter. Instead, my immediate urge is to stop reading so much manga and hit up the library again. I just finished The Age of Innocence, and you know what? It was flat-out better than 99% of the manga I've read, and that's coming from someone who generally hates ranking or picking favorites. I mean, on this site I have 508 manga listed as completed (admittedly, a number are oneshots) and I'm pretty sure I would need at most two hands to count the ones that are truly memorable and important to me. Taken together with all this petulance and asshattery, I'm starting to wonder why I ever spent so much time here in the first place. . .

Group Leader
@momoii

It's "donations", and don't repeatedly say illegal coz if you see it like that then everyone is even MD for hosting this what you called "illegal". And who's complaining? I was just telling how donations works and where it has been use. You maybe not under any scanlation that's why you dunno how the team works just to continue with our hobbies. And if you're saying scanlations didn't deserve a money coz we're illegal then that's fine. But so you know, if fans or supporters are satisfied with the work they donate whether it is illegal or not.

@YoroShie
So basically scanlation gives traffic on MD first before MD gave traffic to scanlation sites.

I mean the same argument can be said about what the scanlators are doing. Instead giving the artist the traffic they need, the scanlators are getting it. Get off the moral high horse, this is a legally grey practice (on the edge of outright illegal). Stop pretending that either parties are doing something that is "right". Proffiting from what basically pirating will always be low. Look at the video game industry, pirates gets jack shit and they need to spend a ton of money on games and hardware.

Sure if you like the scanlators enough, donate. I'm not here to judge whether you spend money on a fan scanlation or to official publishers. But let's face reality, people have zero obligations to donate to scanlators and scanlators have zero obligations to keep scanning/translating. If the work consumes too much money and effort it's time to asses whether it's worth their time. Forcing traffic to their own sites won't help since the majority of reader have little loyalty towards scanlators, people rather find a website where they can read what they want in one place.

This drama could be easily dealt with if they try to solve it internally first, but people feels the need to make a drama out of it. What ends up happening is a PR meltdown for both sides.

Double-page supporter
@BestBoy @Acolytus ahh ok, a lot of the talk made it seems like even though it's a far-flung dream it was something that is actively being worked toward and, not for nothing but...fakku going legit killed a massive library of "the good stuff" because I had no idea them going legit meant removing everything I once held dear to my....heart, and as such never made a backup....as a matter of fact because i was jsut lurking on batoto for most of its life there are some series I'll never get back to because it went down and I didn't have a backup....

I think I need better tech habits is what this whole drama has taught me.

edit: Acolytus if you try hard enough you can ABSOLUTELY get into the Oscars wearing sweatpants, whether they would allow someone who snuck in to stay is a whole other story

This riot led to a serious problem.
It's 2019 and we are still talking about expired topics that we should have known for a long time.

Well, if you want to go, just go ahead. Most groups that sign up are not my subscription group either. If there are several titles that are liked, just do things as usual. I mean, for example, every time I want to read New Prince of Tennis, just go directly to Mangastream's site. If it's here, I'll read it. If it's not , it's easy, just go to their respective sites. Oh, maybe that only applies to me who just enjoys reading "something free" before buying it.

Also, it's funny to see some comments that ended up being anti-Mangadex.
Humans are very easy to change hearts, no?
Will this drama be laughed at by people from Kissmanga or other aggregator siters? I bet.

I agree what kn1000a said. Read it, guys. It's as simple as that.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@traveling_chef Based on what Holo has assured me, we're not "going legit" anytime soon, and never if it means having to do it the same as Fakku: by getting rid of most if not all the content on the site. We wouldn't even have the money to license shit. If we did it, we would lose all the scanlations, scanlators and readers, and our non-legit replacement competitor would appear in no time at all, so what's the point?

If in the future the online manga market becomes such that it would be possible to host both scanlated and legally licensed content which hired scanlators provide, Holo would take that opportunity. Currently, that's obviously a pipe dream, and as such not a serious goal.

I would certainly leave if the first scenario happened. The second one, I haven't considered seriously so I wouldn't know. I might, I might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread