Sayonara Mangadex, putting down our rose colored glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holo making a snide comment about Scanlation groups looking to make money... When his whole goal is to sell out and turn this into a profit enterprise, seems like a fairly dubious reply.

"Sorry if my site is costing you money. But in the future, it'll make ME a lot of money! So deal!"

Power Uploader
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN Imagine T-Series and their 100m subs demand YouTube to ban all accounts who subs for PDP, and YouTube refused to, so they pulled all of their videos, rally other giant channels to do the same and convince the viewers to go watch on like 20 other sites for exclusive contents that YouTube no longer has. Same thing happened here.

The scan groups which have their own sites, are paying themselves for maintenance of the site. Also they are buying raws. They just ask for donations, and to read the works of their site, nothing more.

Mangadex don't need to upload the works of the scan group which have their own site, IT STEALS reader views.

In case of licensed mangas, as in Jaimini Box's issue with One Piece, Black Clover examples; actually the translation of licensed works (Viz, Kodansha, Lezhin) are bad. They skip or alter some sentences, or make ridiculous names, example with One Piece's character Roronoa Zoro (known in VIZ as Zolo...), inept centralisation of bubble sentence, lack of hyphenation, weird pick of fonts.

Also, some scan group, which TL licensed works, put the "buy from official, so to support author" on their credit page in chapter release.

Contributor
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN

Basically some scanlator groups don't like how MD and the community is handling things right now regarding uploading works. They seem to feel pressured to abandoned there own sites to upload here first. They also feel like MD is using them to further the own goals of World Dominantion going Legit and tossing them to the side like a used hooker.

MD did respond with a post showing each groups patron via a google search.

In the end 10 or so groups are planning to stop uploading on MD.

I believe that looks to be what is going on.

Dex-chan lover
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN Have a look at kgvon and criver's posts just a couple of posts above yours. They more or less summarised it. Read the very first posts of the thread as well for perspective. Otherwise all these 28 pages have been just repeating themselves from a thousand different mouths.

The thread is so active because of popcorn drama. A bunch of scanlators decided to withdraw their releases from MD for their own reasons, but put all the blame on MD. Although one or two of them had already done it anyway even before this thread appeared, I believe. They translated some popular series, which explains the activity.

Dex-chan lover
Last night I got this crazy idea:
What if (I told you) this whole thing is backed by Kiss?
I know it is crazy but only party which would benefit from this is Kiss (and the ones that got paid by Kiss, if paid)

Aggregator gang
It would be nice if MD actually go legit and make things profitable for authors, publishers, scanlators, and MD itself though.

Group Leader
ALL.jpeg

Contributor
Topic : MD Staff vs Angry Scans Group

The Victim : US READERS

The Who Gained a Profit : an Aggregator site Like New Batoto, Mhub, Mkalot, Mgo, and <insert 20 more aggregator sites>

So basically a bunch of scanlator groups are acting like angry kids fucking us readers over because they're money hungry. Nice.

Double-page supporter
not to be taken too seriously

I figured it out, you guys.
the reason for the DDoS's
them saying we should just read their stuff at some other aggregator like KissManGa.
they have been secretly approached by Kiss!
they are PURPOSELY driving traffic to Kissmanga for that sweet sweet Ebucks!!

Double-page supporter
@FireHeart I DO actually mean it as a joke, the thought popped into my head when I came across the "holo DMCA'd Mangadex to drive up traffic" conspiracy earlier in the thread~

Dex-chan lover
Note that controversy and drama also bring publicity to said groups. I hadn't even heard of the majority of those that "signed" until today.

big brain move to not host your stuff on the place which won't incur you bandwidth costs because you wanna make money on theft

I support all possibilities and ideal situations.
But I wonder how expensive it is to buy a tankobon for 400-800 yen? I don't use dollars, but I don't think it will be as expensive as I tried to buy an official English release, for example I bought 473 yen for around 100k and it was cheap. On the other hand, 14 dollars costs me around 200k.

I also have doubts as someone who knows where you can get raw for free.
There is one site run by Japanese people and sites out there (LHscans, manga-zip, etc) definitely get it from there because the first site is updated first.
I think this part will return to the group concerned, whether they want transparency or not, purely aiming for profit, or purely sharing as a hobby. That finally led to doubts that everyone experienced, suspicious about the lack of donations even though the amount can be more than enough to cover - including me, actually, so I decided I won't give a donation at all and chose to support the author through first hand: buy it, in the end. The digital version is cheaper than the physical one. Everyone shouldn't mind that.

Honestly, everything is equally contradictory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread