Sensitive Boy - Ch. 36 - Envious Boy

Dex-chan lover
Well, we're back. Interesting prologue, focusing on Izumi this time. Was hoping for that kid who was having issues with romance but this is interesting as well. This seems like it could go a sort of bittersweet route of where they have to tackle their problems together and learn to potentially lean on each other or it could get really toxic, having them project what they want onto each other.

Dex-chan lover
So the theme of this manga is troubled young men that get into relationships that are doomed to fail from the the get-go since they only superficially fill the void in their lifes.
Hope I'm wrong with that, since that would be kind of a bummer.

Dex-chan lover
On the one hand, the writing is quite good, dramatic, heavy, full of emotion... On the other hand (and more a question of taste) the rather amorphous ending of the first arc feels a little lacking. Even if the enjoyment is in the journey and growth, rather than the conclusion, I feel it was still a bit too "middle of the trip" to be fully satisfying. I don't need a "and then the rest of their lives", but something more directional. Granted, considering the next arc is connected characters, there's potential for peripheral " filling out". It's an ambitious format, for certain, but I'm not convinced of the overall execution yet; it could enhance the overall quality, or easily take away from the first arc. I THINK the author can pull it off. If it runs long enough (as I assume the next arc would likely be another "Sensitive Boy", it would be pleasing to revisit them all, and get some more... Hmm... Closure isn't right, but perhaps, progress? So many compelling side characters as well. A " where are they now" type epilogue would feel cheap though. Either way, too invested now, and I rarely drop.

As ever, thank you for scanlating.

Dex-chan lover
bit of a tonal whiplash to go from "recovering rape victim" to "guy who lost his oshi," but it seems like things will ramp up from here
to be fair there's more to it than that since it seems like the biggest issue is the lack of his parents being around.
so maybe it's more of the depression plot and not having an family that cares about you and being alone.

maybe also some kinda a suicidal plot since the girl reappeared in front of him looking like she was about to jump.
It's also clear that the dude is suffering some issues too just not so advanced yet.
so maybe the girls issues will end up infecting him as he tries to help her by getting close to her (likely by any means)

Dex-chan lover
Neglected boy and suicidal ex-idol girl, damn this is gonna be spicy

Dex-chan lover
bit of a tonal whiplash to go from "recovering rape victim" to "guy who lost his oshi," but it seems like things will ramp up from here
Not just tone. I think male rape victims are more common than lonely guys meeting their oshi just b4 they jump off a building (that's what it looks like anyway).

Dex-chan lover
That and the passive suggestion that there isn't much to be done or learned after where Kaede left off...

Dex-chan lover
Oh boy i am smelling lot of red flags coming towards new mc guy
Pc note : i hope he can over come this new obstacles

Dex-chan lover
This author loves their impossible coincidences huh?

"Oh we gonna have a talk about your traumatic sexual assault?

Oh what? Your assailant just so happens to be here? And she just so happens to have a knife in the middle of the street?"

Now the new one is:

"Oh the net idol girl you admired just so happens to be your neighbor, and you just so happen to have caught her seconds before she jumps eh?"

Dex-chan lover
If you ever feel the feelings come on for an idol of any kind, always remember:

Your oshi is pregnant with my child.

Dex-chan lover
Considering how Kaede's arc worked, I can assume there's gonna be a whole theme with this one. Presumably about parents not being there and parents who use their kids. Izumi's parents not being there and commenting that Kaede's parents are great, but the speech bubble was black. Then there's the idol girl, who up and quit being an idol. I'm sure we'll find out why but I assume it has to do with her parents pushing her to the edge

Users who are viewing this thread