Shamo

din

What did you expect from drama and tragedy tag? Also, switching mangakas mid half didn't help story (mangaka died around the end of Chinese arc).

Actually I liked this manga a lot. Somewhat similar to Vagabond. I think it sheds some light on people outside of conventional societal norm...
The main character first turns into an asshole because of things. The development seems understandable. Then he turns around and becomes good, but hated by society.

Group Leader
Until volume 13 it is a 9/10, the chinese arc is 6/10 and the rest is really, really bad. It could have ended right after the Sugawara arc...

I dunno why I really enjoyed reading this despite it being bad, I guess I had a lot of fun with this? The ending is completely and utterly disappointing though. Also wasn't a fan of the Chinese arc...felt rather useless to the story.

This was so dragged on and inconsistent. Honestly even the Banryukai arc was really dragged on for way too long but up to that point there's not much to criticise. After that, it's clearly a downfall with the inconsistency of every arc.

Too bad, the dancer arc had a really great build up but it just… ends, and then it's forgotten just like every arc. It feels really lackluster that all of this was just to say "Look even Touma was just an hypocrite and can't save our Ryo".

Fed-Kun's army
I really loved the first 12 volumes, and that’s honestly where I’m going to stop because I just can’t bring myself to read 300-something chapters and everyone’s saying that they kinda suck, so uhh yeah

Just because it’s violent and seinen doesn’t make it good. It’s pretty bad.

this was a fun read, the ending made me want to blast my balls with a nuke or something but yeah it fits i guess

EQ

@joelinhus the most accurate description.

I enjoyed it all together. The Chinese ki arc was a jarring shift and as everyone else stated, leaves plot holes for the end but overall it’s a great story. More of a dark twist on the standard coming of age, martial arts tale with the heavy psychological elements all throughout.

Double-page supporter
Unlike a lot of people here, I actually thought the ending was really strong and mostly fitting for the manga as a whole and the characters, especially Ryo. Part of me certainly hoped for happiness for him, but at the same time I knew it almost certainly could not end that way and would not feel right had it.

The only thing I did dislike about the ending arc was the use of the story being read by the sister. It is kind of an overused plot device and felt out of place in this manga, especially injected at the very end as it was.

I agree, however, that the manga overall was really inconsistent and somewhat repetitive. It did not seem like the creators knew what story they were exactly trying to tell, on the whole, and that is not surprising considering that there were apparently creative differences that led to one of the creators exiting the project halfway.

Still, I do not think it is shit as some people suggest. There is a lot of shit out there were stuff just happens for no reason, with no real emotion (or the emotion feels really forced). Not the case here. Despite all its flaws, there was real spirit in this manga, and it evoked real emotions in me. And, although the thread holding it together was a bit tenuous at times, it was there. And, as I implied above, I do believe the beginning and end do suit each other.

You have to be paying attention and think though. This manga does not spoon feed you.

Objectively, I probably should have given this an 8/10, but something about how it touched me made me give it a 9, at least for now.

The ending would've been fine if it there was an ending to Ryos and Sugaharas grudge. We went through chapters seeing him rehabilitating himself just for it to drop to nothing. Was the manga cancelled or why did it end like that? Dumb.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

so many unanswered questions that left me extremely puzzled

however, it was hype and i enjoyed it even if it's MEGA inconsistent

im both satisfied and unsatisfied at the same time

Ryo and this guy fight alone in a dojo about midway through the manga, everything leading up to this fight is good, the fight is good, everything this fight sucks, just make up your own ending.

Users who are viewing this thread