She Brought Up the Friendly Protagonist as a Villain.

the manhwa isn’t even making money in naver because it’s free so I don’t see the problem with translating it here also the translations can make the manhwa more popular

We have got to understand that what we are doing is technically illegal in some form or another so it’s quite understandable

I agree with the author's position, but he sounds kinda like a racist asshole.

So... In the event of this getting a legal translation, I won't pay for it like I do other series at Tappytoons. I'm just not going to read this anymore since I'm a dirty foreigner.

Dex-chan lover
Besides the stuff about their health declining because of...bad time management (?)...the author is allowed to be sad that their work is being shared without their permission jfc. So what if it's free, they didn't offer permission for it to be translated and shared with other people. Even fanart on pixiv has that no reprint shit sometimes. How many people reading the scans have actually clicked the link to the raws?

Also y'all need to realize that scanlations do get in the way of stuff getting licensed. Who cares if more people know about a thing if they're not gonna pay for it and just keep following the scanlation version instead. Exposure bucks mean nothing. Everybody on early 2000's internet has probably fkn seen that punk-ish blonde anime girl with a cross picture but do we fkn know who drew it?

Stuff like Pink Heart Jam getting cancelled even though it's back bc futekiya saved it bc it's simulpub'ing it after scans of ch 1 started getting shared on social media is going to keep happening. This isn't the first time an author has been demoralized bc their work is getting scanlated. It's been happening. It's going to keep happening.

To be frank, the authors note was a big turn off.

Pretty much their penalising anyone but the native market because they're not utilising the market (of their own accord mind you!). Since we foreigners are penalised simply because we dont know your language (Naver is free for Koreans! unless you want the latest 3/5 chapters) then I am going to be blunt: I dont care much for this author or their work. In fact, I will actively go out of my way to NOT support them.

This may seem harsh, and they may be right about the whole illegal stance. And I'll concede. Doesn't mean I can't take my opinion and my actions as my own way to rebel against them.

Someone, please tell this author (in Korean) that if he wants the dirty foreigners to pay up then work with some translators and get your series translated into English at least (like come on it's the global language it'll give you the biggest reach). Also, I have seen this problem many times where many authors don't even realize that most of their audience isn't even from their own country like EVER HEARD OF EXPORTS? Most businesses make most of their money from exports it's ESSENTIAL. If only they knew how to and which market to tap into they would be raking in millions and the platforms billions.

One thing these authors could do is run a poll (in English so everybody can understand) that asks which country is the reader from this will give the authors a good idea and to facilitate this the scanlators should include a link to these polls in the description or somewhere else like in the chapters. If the platform (Webtoons, tappytoon, tapas, Lezhin) doesn't have a built-in polls feature then make a google form or a poll on Reddit. It is THAT easy. Now, this might not be enough to completely change everything but come on do you really expect such things?

Also, even if we get to a utopia where every series gets serialized and translated if the platforms don't get their pricing right for different regions it's just not gonna work.
Let's take TappyToon for example, it takes 3 tokens for new chapters, 9.99$ gets you 82 tokens, that is worth 27 chapters fair enough. Now, imagine being in an area where 10$ is a little too much. Where 100$ is the monthly wage. So, you have a choice, either live or support the author or continue reading scanlations till you get to a good point in life where you can afford the legal stuff. And don't even get me started with all the region-locked crap that's out there. With that, you can't even blame people coz I myself have tried accessing Crunchyroll through VPN and they banned my IP address.

Here is a Wikipedia article just for reference, this doesn't mean everything but it gives a good indicator.

A few quotes by Gaben :
"The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates."

"Piracy is almost always a service problem."

They summarize almost everything there is to piracy. Game piracy was a big issue but now using Steam is soo much easier and legal that almost no one does it anymore. And another takeaway from Steam would be regional pricing, this ensures (to an extent) that the prices in a particular region for games are affordable and not over the top like 10 days worth of wages. IIRC, the prices were extremely low (up to 80% discounts as well) in Argentina during the 2020 Halloween Sale. Also, for reference prices on Steam are almost always lower in China compared to many other regions.

Also, the websites of the official platforms SUCK compared to many websites. I've had issues on Webtoons where there is no indication (like MangaDex) if a page is loading so I just keep reading thinking: Oh there is no loading icon so it must have loaded when I only find out after reading that something is wrong and then have to re-read to realize that oh this page hadn't loaded.
Also, what's the problem with not having Ko-Fi and Patreon? It's not our problem you don't even give us an internationally accessible payment method to support you.

I can continue on with the problems they have but I'm getting tired.

Edit:
@toomanywords Yes, they do come to Scanlation websites to see the responses, popularity and other stuff for a series. This is basically a testing ground for them. After serializing a series they come again to see responses for the latest chapters and if they aren't so good then they can decide to cut their losses short by axing the series. Coz it's not like these corporates have any tastes when it comes anime and manga so of course they have to rely on fans to know what to do.

I have no idea why the author wrote this message, but it looks ridiculous. He/she deliberately ignores the fact that "foreigners" don't know Korean. It is obvious that "foreigners" know about this manga only because of the translation.

The author and the comments section on naver sound so xenophobic and rascist omg... Like, the author could have just written a "please stop translating and reading my work by illegal means" and that would have been the end of it. But no, she has to stir up hatred towards foreigners???

@randomdetectiveconanfan

You misunderstand. I have no desire to read this anymore whether it's free or not. She can keep her all Korean reader base if that's what she wants, just means that now she's getting less money after attacking the dirty foreigners.

Support the author guys! Seriously, this is her first webtoon, she's working (on average 14) 10-16 hour days. Her health is suffering. She only started drawing webtoons March 19. SUPPORT THE AUTHOR! ! Dear god, she's are pouring her heart and soul into this and we are whining? She doesn't have a big publishing house backing her. She as of now doesn't have much power. This is her dream she's working towards. She's dependent on the popularity on Naver to get serialized. (And yeah comment sections on Naver can quickly turn absolutely poisonous, no matter the topic, pay no mind to that)

By all accounts the author is a sweetheart. Just Google translate your way through her Q&A page(like I did)
https://m.comic.naver.com/bestChallenge/detail.nhn?titleId=750542&no=8&week=&listSortOrder=DESC&listPage=1

Edit to reply:
@Random_passer-by
I know that with the Google translate app, as long as the writing is clear, you can just either:
screen shot the page and import it to be translated on the app
or
if reading on a tablet or computer hold your phone up and let the app instant translate for you. I find that method only good for short very clear text. As it requires a pretty steady hand.

It requires a great deal of patience, at least compared to finished translations. Idk if it has to do with not being a native English speaker or not, but as i grew up i Google translated my way through English fanfiction stories until i gained proficiency. Maybe because of that I don't mind doing so or just aren't that unfamiliar with the notion.

I just want add, I am grateful to scanlators as well. The sheer amount of work that goes into it is an art onto itself. But the passion that goes into it should also be tempered by respect to the creators.

Group Leader
@LuxH0b0 Is this some sort of joke about the impossibility of translating a web-page that solely consists of images? Or are you seriously expecting us to look up that huge wall of text character by character? Or does Google Translate offer OCR?

My gut is telling me that you're speaking sincerely. And, truth be told, I want the best for the author as well. I, too, want her to succeed.

I will play no part in that success until and unless I actually manage to consume the art she's producing in a language I can understand.

I don't mind paying, even when I'm not obliged to. But this attitude of "Pls support? NO SCANLATING! Only support!" is irksome. If she doesn't want the support of English-speaking readers, she is more than welcome to piss off and let us scanlate in peace. If she does want our support, she is more than welcome to give us a means to support her. Forbidding us from scanlating, and giving us the woe-is-me sob story about her crazy schedule, only makes me want her to stop making the webtoon so her health will recover. I mean, I won't lose anything if she stops, now, will I?

Support the author please. I spoke to her and she is happy to have her work read by us, but not illegally. Is any one connected to legal sites like Tappytoon, Tapas, LezhinComics, etc? Please support the author and try to find a way in which this can be translated legally so she gets the credit she deserves and we can read her story.

There is a post on Instagram where one of us told her about this and she addressed this nicely. She isn’t a mean person.

By the way, the author said the title is completely wrong. The title was butchered from the translators 😅 It’s actually called:

"She brought up the friendly protagonist as a villain."

Description:

The webtoon is about Eve making a timid, friendly, sunshine-like male protagonist look like a villain. It means taking care of the male protagonist who is bullied by his peers without looking too easy.

If she sounded angry to you, it was because her story’s translation was butchered and the she was not getting credit as the author and illustrator. Like I said, she’s more than glad if someone can be legally translated for us to read.

If you’re still questioning this, check out her Instagram. If you want this story translated to English, find someone who does legal and official translations.👍

I looked up the twitter handle that was posted but I can't find anything. Maybe it's because I'm in North America? Or maybe her twitter is locked or something. What's her Instagram User?

I don’t understand why people are so butt hurt about the authors message. Maybe the interpretation? Seemed like a reasonable request. You can’t make a living working for free, especially if it is affecting your health.

I hope her work gets serialized so it gets more exposure and she gets the support her work deserves from her international audience.

Users who are viewing this thread