Shed! Ryugasaki-san - Vol. 2 Ch. 41

Dex-chan lover
Wait. All the other students think she's human?
I was under the assumption that everyone knew she was a lizard in human form.
Edit; thanks for the translation!

Dex-chan lover
@picks They know what she is but not her particularities (transforming into a lizard, caméléon tongue and eating insects) she’s been bullied before so she avoids showing too much.

Double-page supporter
Does anyone else feel awkward when you read characters that have been out of preschool since a long time talking about themself with their name, in third person, to look cute ?

It make me feel that they are either daft as a brush or as those older women who try desperatly to look younger (clothing, make-up, surgery, etc..) but fail at it really hard and just succeed to be embarrasing to look at...

Well i do agree with zenyo. Somehow in my middle school my teacher said that calling them self with name in third person is little bit disturbing. When my teacher practice that most of the student say that was very uncomfortable to be heard. And thank you for your hard work scanlating this manga.

Dex-chan lover
@zenyo
I feel you. I find the 3rd person way of addressing yourself to be extremely cringy. And I don't get at all how the japanese find it in any way cute.

nuuuuuu!! this is too sweeeeet!!! Gotta go wresting with a giant panda go gain back my testosterone !

Dex-chan lover
imo best part of chapter is RYUGASAKI CANNON

@Askorti
when in a culture where it's much more common (admittedly a low bar) it's less creepy.

i also had a teacher in middle school (an english teacher, ironically enough) that did that too. he didn't do it all the time, but it was still weird.

Group Leader
@darelord
Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Ps: that's a god darn hot nice profile pic you've got there. Who's this babe?

Dex-chan lover
@zenyo Eh, whether or not referring to yourself to the third person is weird or not seems to just be one of those cultural things. I used to watch Sesame Street as a kid, so it doesn't really phase me if someone does it in fiction (It's a speaking quirk for Elmo), and I find it dumb if that speaking tic is removed in manga translations or subtitles. Even in English writing, it's a valid literary technique of showing a character is childish even if characters in English media who do it are weirder than those who do it in Japanese media.

Dex-chan lover
@nobaka It's more common in Japan, sure. For people in the age group @zenyo mentioned. Someone this age? She's about as likely to get made fun of or bullied for speaking like this as she is for any of the lizard stuff. If she was doing it all the time, and especially if boys were giving her a lot of attention, the other girls would be talking shit behind her back about her trying so hard to be cutesy to get their attention. If one of the girls had a crush on a boy that was paying Ryugasaki too much attention, they might escalate things past shit talk. People are petty like that.

If it's in a manga, that stuff is less a "might happen" and more of a "absolutely guaranteed." 'Cause it's quick and dirty easy bake drama.

Users who are viewing this thread