Shijuu Kara - Vol. 17 Ch. 54 - When I Was No One

Dex-chan lover
does anyone else feel like this pacing was too fast? like damn she's just dead. we didn't get to hear her final words or anything, not even her funeral picture. wish she could've had more development honestly too.

is this manga coming to an end? wouldn't be entirely surprised it does in like 10-20 chapters lol

Group Leader
I was honestly stunned at this one, too, but the more I think about it the more I think it fits. Remember when Yohei collapsed, spent all that time in the hospital, and there was the five-year time skip before Shinobu and Chiaki saw each other again? I see echoes of that here.

Touko and Yohei have usually been on a similar trajectory in the story. This chapter opened with Touko essentially rejecting her new path of addiction treatment. That devastated me, because I was rooting for her, but it's true that sometimes people don't get better. (Take a look at Shinobu's mom as a character foil. Not only does she not get better, she doesn't even go to the doctor for help!) And it's probably true that it was too late for her to be a real mother to Chiaki. I would have liked for them to part as friends... but Shinobu didn't get that with her father. Our lives rarely turn out the way we want. I think it's likely that we'll see at least some of Touko's decline later, since the series has done flashbacks pretty often.

I was a little uncomfortable at just how heavily the mother complex thing was brought to the fore in this one. I agree that Chiaki never had a mom--Touko tried, but she had horrible role models and didn't pay attention when it counted. Shinobu falls into the role of a caregiver often; she admits it herself. I do hope that she and Chiaki can move past the superficial label of "mother complex" and deepen their relationship on more equal terms. I remember Chiaki as wanting to run away with Shinobu because he wanted to save and take care of her. How great would it be for them to get to a point where it's natural and easy for them to take care of one another?

Group Leader
I have good news and bad news: the manga ends at chapter 56. I would have liked it to continue, but alas. :(

Good news: the ending looks happy. I am cleaning raws and then the translating and typsetting can begin. I hope to have the final chapter up over the weekend, or early next week at the latest.

Users who are viewing this thread