Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie - Vol. 2 Ch. 23

Cat: Guys what are you doing?
Cat: Okay I don't like where this is going
Cat: Can you please let me down first??

bro imagine thinking that the use of "ara" in an unprofessional and free translation of a japanese work warrents criticism, and then thinking that said criticism is welcome

I agree with @DrWhoCares, aras killed my wife and kids
But really I think it's a "not what you said but how you said it" kinda situation, not that I personally care how you voiced your opinion. I think it was fine but with more sensitive types that weebs tend to be, you have to be a little softer with your suggestions and whatnot.
This will prevent you from having to type out paragraphs whenever someone sees you as being "unnecessarily rude" as it's usually called. This will also make your suggestion more appealing to the translator.
Unless your goal is not to convince said translator, but to argue with someone on the internet, which I totally get. I love doing that tbh.
"But Jet," you say, "People should just stop being so sensitive. Why should I have to pander to every person that creates things on the internet, or their fans? I'm not being rude, just honest!"
Well I applaud your patience to be able to stand your ground like this, to be able to respond to every person that thinks you are being abrasive for no reason. If that is in fact what you were going to respond. I could just be talking out of my butt.

@borngis
Literally anything and everything is free game for criticism, and ideally everyone should at least hear out said criticisms.
I could criticize your avatar and say it's smelly. Would that be valid, or warranted? If that's what I truly thought, and if we lived in a perfect world, then yes. Is this the place to give such criticisms? Hell if I know, this is my first comment on here.
For the record, that avatar is cute tbh

Edit: While I'm at it, I also enjoy this translator's work
But keep in mind I have garbage taste

Group Leader
@JetAnon
I dynamically change how I speak as the conversation progresses.
A sort of "test the waters" situation.
I could word my original posts much, much worse, as my rage runs deeper than any dwarf will ever dig. But I don't. I air my criticism briefly (as to not waste my time), and forcefully (as to express my criticism's intent, and the severity that I believe in it).

You might notice that no one attacks the manner in which I originally posted, they only choose to speak up and attack the content of my criticism, or more broadly, the existence of my criticism.

Should they choose to approach the situation rationally, and disagree with my opinion enough to express theirs, as to change mine, then I'll respond in turn with rational behavior.

People have a tendency to take things personally when they disagree on a topic, even if the topic has nothing to do with them at all (my criticisms we're only directed at Stef, never the readers), so often my criticism goes ignored, and instead a new discussion emerges.

It's their choice to take part, as they chose to speak up and let their voice be heard, just as I originally did. I just hope they'll take a moment to think about their own criticisms before resorting to personal attacks and blatantly disregarding the argument at hand (not that all the people who disagree with me do that).

", as my rage runs deeper than any dwarf will ever dig."

holy fuck @ this chunni ass shit dude lmfao

@DrWhoCares
I guess you're right, no one even bothered to argue why the aras should be left in.
Now I'm curious however, why do you hate the aras with such a passion?
Or is the hatred directed more towards the liberties that some translators choose to take with their... (jobs? works? Not sure what to call them)
I'll admit, I don't really care all that much about getting the translation across 100%, just a gist of what's going on is fine enough. From what I can see your passion comes from personal experience with getting stuff translated.

Anyway, I have to wonder how well-recieved your argument would have been if you had phrased it as "Wowee this person left the word ara in there without attempt at translation, I hate that, please stop doing that" or something of that nature rather than implying you had the authority in this situation by outright telling the translator what to do. Not too concerned about this, just semantics at this point.
Though you've probably made attempts at this before, have you had any luck with those?

@Cizal
Passion is passion fam
If you look at his uploads, he seems to put a lot of work into this stuff.

The phrasing was pretty funny tho lol

Group Leader
@Cizal
I like to spice up my comments every now and again when the opportunity arises.

@JetAnon
Truly, I don't fully know why, but it enrages me beyond all comparison. Many other, more terrible mistakes, like full MTL's or awful typesetting, are much less upsetting than the "untranslated Ara".

In English, it's just absolutely nonsense. We don't make those noises, and it has plenty of applicable, perfect translations. Every time I see it decimating the flow of the English, I cannot help but hold the highest disdain for the scanlators that put it in there, simply because weeb meme culture.

I do believe I've attempted being nicer about it before, bit it's often difficult to do, given that I post before even finishing the chapter, as in the heat of the moment, my focus is on that damned "ara" and nothing else. I have had people rationally respond, and should they take offense and mention my ride behavior, I'm fully willing to apologize, before continuing to attempt to persuade them.

Some listen, others don't. Stef didn't, and many won't.
Yet all the same, I must play this game.
To cure the curse of man, that "Ara" be damned.

@pockettrash, Fair enough, you might have a point. She does have good range though. I imagined Sawashiro doing her normal toned voice she uses in interviews which is pretty mellow and cute, but use her hazy acting voice for all the cool panels. I like your choice as well, with maybe Hayami Saori as 3rd pick.

Anyway, lets first get that anime announcement, I hope it gets adapted!

Group Leader
@Lozen oh, don't think I've heard her speak in a normal voice much, that's prolly why I just can't imagine her.
Also, picking Hayami is an illegal move, you can't do that, one can love a character only so much

Dex-chan lover
@JetAnon
but I did argue, it's because it's already a trope
and let's not forgetting that english as a language always evolving and/or taking/adopting certain words (selfie? googling?) from other language too, just need people to use it often enough :p

@primrosea
ah sorry mate, must've missed your post then.
And I'm not going to try and defend his view, since I actually like ara ara's

Dex-chan lover
@candied-oranges
sadly enough, he's not
just a native english speaker (most likely from the greatest country of freedom) who can't stand weebs like ourselves

I said native english speaker because AFAIK it's only native english speakers who wants to localize everything, non-native usually more lax

Group Leader
@primrosea C'mon now, don't leave me outta the debate here.

I don't want to localize everything. I'm an extremely strong supporter of honorifics, and a few other things.
"Ara" however is one I can't let slide. It's so radically not part of the English syllables that it just deccimates any natural flow, destroying the dialogue and making it sound like some sorta mistake or just garbage nonsense word.

Users who are viewing this thread