Shingeki no Kyojin - Vol. 33 Ch. 132

I don’t feel much connected to the story at all anymore. Maybe I simply lost interest or I need a good re-read

Aggregator gang
@Eeliejun

Yeah, I dont get it either. Eldia has its back to the wall, having been facing extermination since the story began. If the only way is to destroy all other powers exterminating everyone else, most Eldians would pay that price. If its either us or them, the answer is pretty clear. Even more so the SC, which as you said, lost countless comrades in the fight. It was also misleading the number of people that greeted Hanji; in the fight with the Beast titan, Erwin was standing on a huge mountain of dead people. I think Isayama downplayed the number of dead, if there were more, that would kind of question the meaning of the whole thing.

I agree, it will be the scarf, or some other precious memento that awakens Eren and "snaps him out of it", japanese mangas are full of these sentimental stupidities.

also, these guys who want stopping Eren are going for an abstract goal: "mass murder is wrong, so we have to stop it, even if it means sacrificing our lives". that is utter BS. no one, i mean no one dies for "abstract values". People die for concrete persons. They give their lives for protecting their family, maybe even friends, and of course, you can die for your religion, like with the Christians, who die for Christ ( martyrdom), who was a real person walking on Earth. the japanese kamikaze pilots died for the Emperor, who also was a concrete person, and so on. And when it comes to concrete persons, the lives of Eldians are worth more than everyone else. it is very weird seeing this flipped upside down and the SC guys and marleyans suddenly becoming "humanists", who suddenly are concerned for all humanity now.

this is where mangas tend to screw up very badly: that the protagonist risks (and gives) his life for abstract principles. I see this in Vinland Saga, where the guy does not want to bring weapons to Vinland, because he wants to create a world free of conflict or whatever, even it it means that the natives will kill him. Complete and utter BS. If he did it from a Christian conviction, i.e. for Christ (a person), who by the way, never commanded walking around unarmed, but im sure it could be couched in somehow, anyways, that would be completely different. But of course, it has to be an abstract principle the guy made up in his head. Christianity would even make sense era-wise. But no, it has to be a "moral maxim", an abstract principle. No one, i repeat no one gives his life for an abstract principle.

Aggregator gang
@Eeliejun

Yeah, I dont get it either. Eldia has its back to the wall, having been facing extermination since the story began. If the only way is to destroy all other powers exterminating everyone else, most Eldians would pay that price. If its either us or them, the answer is pretty clear. Even more so the SC, which as you said, lost countless comrades in the fight. It was also misleading the number of people that greeted Hanji; in the fight with the Beast titan, Erwin was standing on a huge mountain of dead people. I think Isayama downplayed the number of dead, if there were more, that would kind of question the meaning of the whole thing.

I agree, it will be the scarf, or some other precious memento that awakens Eren and "snaps him out of it", japanese mangas are full of these sentimental stupidities.

also, these guys who want stopping Eren are going for an abstract goal: "mass murder is wrong, so we have to stop it, even if it means sacrificing our lives". that is utter BS. no one, i mean no one dies for "abstract values". People die for concrete persons. They give their lives for protecting their family, maybe even friends, and of course, you can die for your religion, like with the Christians, who die for Christ ( martyrdom), who was a real person walking on Earth. the japanese kamikaze pilots died for the Emperor, who also was a concrete person, and so on. And when it comes to concrete persons, the lives of Eldians are worth more than everyone else. it is very weird seeing this flipped upside down and the SC guys and marleyans suddenly becoming "humanists", who suddenly are concerned for all humanity now.

this is where mangas tend to screw up very badly: that the protagonist risks (and gives) his life for abstract principles. I see this in Vinland Saga, where the guy does not want to bring weapons to Vinland, because he wants to create a world free of conflict or whatever, even it it means that the natives will kill him. Complete and utter BS. If he did it from a Christian conviction, i.e. for Christ (a person), who by the way, never commanded walking around unarmed, but im sure it could be couched in somehow, anyways, that would be completely different. But of course, it has to be an abstract principle the guy made up in his head. Christianity would even make sense era-wise. But no, it has to be a "moral maxim", an abstract principle. No one, i repeat no one in real life gives his life for an abstract principle.

Aggregator gang
This has been very garbage for the past few months, can't wait for it to end.

No! I can't believe that my best girl died. She died in epic fashion and was a hero to the end, but I am still sad.

104-1047042_cryingcat-181-kb-crying-cat-meme-png-transparent.png

Double-page supporter
@Xavfsiz You just typed all that spiel for nothing bruh, I'm saying from an outside perspective no one here is right, it's people doing what they gotta do. And that's why I said people shouldn't say eren is in the right here, he's just doing what he's got to do to protect his people. If folks were on the other side of erens wrath you think they'd be cheering for him? Hell no.

Power Uploader
@Reichenberg

Yeah, they have no option. Even more, now that it has started. It needs to be done or they will get wiped for this. It is for sure if we would be following the story of the other side I would have a different feeling but we are not so can only see Eren his plan as the plan that would save them. It has been ages that the titans retreated to the island and still the people are in camps and don't have rights and all... Yeah, Erwin died believing in something. He believed that he was carrying all the hope the SC had to get the people out of the wall and in a new age and that feels a bit strange now.

Yeah, a lot of JP manga are like that. It is not like I expect him to react like he does not care but that he is already too deep. Look at code geass. Lelouch knows it was too late to stop so he did what he thought needed to be done. Same here tbh... Tho can't really compare how good that was done and how I as the watcher was feeling about it because this feels a bit too big... It is not a huge ass battle but something like they decided to nuke the whole planet.

Like you said! It is BS to me too. Even more, if you look at how they were raised. They never knew that the world was still filled with humans. They only had their city and that would give you a specific mindset and doubt it would be humanist for 90% Even more after they knew that the world was trying to kill them off. It also gives me a bad taste that the author is saying that one people is wrong for existing and if they would be gone it would be fine and that feels weird. I have no doubt some people would want to save humanity but I feel doubt full a lot of the island would have the mindset to really stop Eren and if we look how many people joined the Eren faction I seem to be right about it. Does that mean it is a good thing what Eren is doing? Hell no! but now we are too late to stop it.

Fuck off with Vinland Saga! It was a great manga in the past and now it is just... Conflict is part of humans and bringing swords would not change anything. I personally don't get the whole sword thing. Historically swords were not too common if you compare it with how many axes and spears were used. A lot more people had them and they were cheaper to make. You did not have a Viking army that consisted of 90% swordsmen. If I was a native would find it threatening to see a bunch of white people with axes. An axe will still kill me. It is not like they will find a native there with a sword. I get the idea but never had the feeling that that was what the MC really wanted. I thought he was more grey and wants peace but knows that you need to protect yourself to have peace. Sometimes you get unlucky as he and his dad did. Nothing would have changed if his dad did not fight back. Also, he does not really think in the long run. It does not mean if you do nothing the natives will not do anything and what after you die? or your children. Also for the Christ example is perfect because in the end, he died and not much changed. It was just a waste of life. But yeah that Is only my opinion on it.

I am not a fan of the scouting groups sudden embracing of humanistic values, even if it means the extermination of their people. Like Vinland Saga, it's an insertion of a modern mindset that would otherwise be extremely out of place in the setting. Then again, they did have to brutally murder their own comrades a few chapters back in the name of saving people who intend to wipe them out.

And of course Japan could be considered pagan. Although the depiction of what Hange saw is likely related to the paths which have already been established as outside the normal plane of existence.

@vyuren
If you think their embracing of humanistic values is "sudden" then I'm genuinely amazed you've managed to read this series for so long without tripping over yourself, how do you miss such a core part of their characters?

Users who are viewing this thread