Shoujo Junrei - Vol. 1 Ch. 6 - The Fateful Day I Encountered God

I have to take responsibility for the crappy typesetting in this chapter :( It's all my bad! I am so sorry! It was my first real editing/typesetting assignment. I will get better! I swear! Again, I am sooo sorry!!!

Fed-Kun's army
@Menchichan it's ok, I know how hard it is , overall I didn't think it was that bad but the amount of text surprised me.

Thank you so much for this chapter, I love this series, though.. it's leaning towards a strange plotline idk.. I just want my romance lol

@Alice_is_lost Thank you! The amount of text surprised me, too. I mean, it was at nearly 6000 words. I have only done one other actual typesetting job so I got a little panicky, if I'm honest. "OMG! How is it going to fit? Will it fit? IT WON'T FIT! GAHHH!" so I under-compensated and then over-compensated. I think I did a bit better during the last part but, I'm not going to lie, I was scared and intimidated. I think the whole story is sci-fi like but I love the main characters. The Yandere high school waitress was kind of nuts. I feel you on the romance, though. MOAR Romance!

@Menchichan I'm sorry for harsh words! Instead of bit*hing about it, I'd like to share some tips, so hopefully it will be easier next time (and I don't sound like a total asshole):

1. Please never, NEVER, NeVeR stretch the text like this. There are ways to fit the text without murdering the font itself. For example, you can break the text more, so it doesn't end up outside of the bubble.
2. If breaking it doesn't work, go smaller, but as smaller font size (the one in points) not stretching the box.
3. Worst case scenario, if you really need more space and you have no skill for making speech bubbles, just ask that cleaner/redrawer for help.
4*. There's also changing spacing between letters, but I don't recommend this method in this case.

Again, I'm sorry for being an ass <(_ _)> Thank you for your work!

Dex-chan lover
god the amount of words this time is amazing, i'm impressed anyone managed to fit all that in those tiny ass bubbles, kudos to you, and I'm sure you'll improve with experience

@ZettaiInu There's no need to apologize but thank you for your kind words! Like I said, the mistakes were wholly mine and I own them! I'm just sorry that my mistakes took away from readers' enjoyment of the chapter because that was absolutely not my intention! I appreciate soo much your feedback and I promise everyone as well as 0mniessence that I will do a better job next time! Looking back on the issues I had with the chapter they are flat-out my fault and I will take your tips to heart and make sure to do a better job next time! I desperately wanted to help bring these stories to the community and didn't want to be a distraction! Again, I am so sorry for my mistakes. Especially on a story I thoroughly enjoy reading and promise to do better going forward! Thank you all for your patience and I am so sorry my errors diminished the chapter!

@AgentKuga I was so scared when I saw all that text and the small bubbles and immediately thought "I think maybe I'm not qualified to even come close to doing this and should probably bow out and say I have the black death." In retrospect that might have not been such a bad idea! I promise I will get better and will do my best to not get intimidated by all the words! Thank you for your kindness!

@Menchichan Well to be fair, you are spending your free time to do something for others non-profit, so it's actually really formidable. The most important thing is that you wanna improve, so I'm pretty sure you will get better in no time! I'm looking forward to more chapters from you and 0mniessence ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ

@ZettaiInu This community has given me so many hours of angst, misery, WTF moments, and joy I felt it was the least I could do to help pay back some of the fun I was given. I promise I will get better and, hopefully, won't be quite so panicky next time! Thank you for your kindness!

@Menchichan I had no problem at all with the typsetting. I went to the comments to see what people had to say about this chapter out of curiosity and everyone was complaining lmao. I was not expecting that. Thank you so much for your work! I am very curious where the manga is going to go from here, a lot of suspicious characters have entered the scene.

Double-page supporter
Wait so do all the characters talk this formally/dramatically or what? Like, I can't 100% blame the typesetter for this because you've been given something hard to work with. Everything's so wordy lmao

Dex-chan lover
What a verbose chapter, jesus
Thanks for the translation, can't have been easy

@FatalVestige Thank you :) Honestly, it all seemed ok, though slightly cramped as I was doing it, though I must confess I winced more than once when I saw the text which went into the chat bubbles then saw the size of said bubbles, but I figured it would all end up ok in the end. It...was...eh...I could have done much better and I promise I will! I don't mind the complaints about the typesetting and editing. Believe me, I am my own worst critic but I appreciate all of the kind advice and suggestions! As I said, the thing I feel the worst about is if my poor work took away from people's enjoyment of the chapter. It really is an interesting story. I liked how Aiko acknowledged her own role in the transactional nature of her and Miki's "friendship". Many times the mangaka chooses to portray how poorly others treat the MC but seldom acknowledges the MCs role in that treatment. Still, it was very verbose (a lot like this comment! *sad panda face* ) But I just hope you don't hold my shortcomings against the author or 0mniessence. I appreciate their faith (no matter how misplaced it may have been!) in giving me a chance!

@Sarsak My work was not very good in this chapter and I can't use the verbosity of the work as an excuse, really. I didn't do as good a job as you and the story deserved so I have no excuses! (It was really wordy, though! As a writer, I appreciated it! As an editor and typesetter it was a challenge to say the least!) I will sob in a corner while hugging my Kawaii Hamster Plush and then dust myself off, drink too much coffee, put on some old school punk rock and do my best to make the next chapter I work on better! I promise!

Group Leader
@Menchichan I'm not gonna hammer on the points other people have said, but please please do not rasterize a layer of text and then stretch it to fit a bubble. It makes it incredibly blurry and hard to read. Software like Photoshop has proper tools to squish text closer together in case you have smaller bubbles. Make sure you familiarize yourself with them.

Also, if your text does have to come out of the bubble a little (sometimes this is inevitable but please do your best to avoid it), don't have such a large white stroke on it. The stroke on your text almost makes it look like a box drawn in MS Paint which isn't a good look.

Lastly, please do ask your proofreader/translator if they can reduce sentence size in these cases. This is sometimes absolutely necessary to make the pages look good, you shouldn't be forced to cram an infinite amount of text in such a small amount of space. I notice your translator has a tendency to try to keep every single word in the original Japanese sentence, even when that becomes superfluous and overfly flowery, so you can definitely cut down the text.

It is not just your fault that the quality is like this, your translator absolutely exaggerated on the verbosity of the text, so let them know they need to work on that.

Just one example
This sentence: No wonder you are the most suitable person to grab some bread for me during lunch everyday~ you never fail to come back swiftly after setting off to do this favor for me! I have no idea these skills can be put to such good use as well!

You could cut it down to something like: No wonder you're the best person for this job. You always come back quickly whenever I send you off. I had no idea you could use side-stepping for that.

A breakdown the changes
"grab some bread for me during lunch everyday" can easily be cut to "this job" because they already referenced what her job is in the previous panel. You may lose the specificity of her getting bread everyday, but you understand it involves her doing errands for the other girl.
"you never fail to come back swiftly" is overly verbose in this context, just a "you always come back quickly" is fine.
"after setting off to do this favor for me" can easily be "whenever I send you off" since you already know what the task is.
"these skills can be put to such good use as well!" can easily be "could use side-stepping like that." because you know the "skills" are side-stepping and instead of "putting to good use as well" you can just have "for that" since they already explained it was for going fast.

That's 236 words cut down to 152, an 84 word reduction.
If I had the original sentence I might even be able to reduce it more or adapt it further, but I have no idea what it says in JP so these were just some guesses.

I wish you better luck in the future, please do try to improve.

Users who are viewing this thread