Shounen, Chotto Sabotteko? - Vol. 2 Ch. 17 - Let's Have Some Tea Together?

Dex-chan lover
I definitely think she is not only a good foil, but also they act as good counter-balances to one another and I think that's why I like the idea of them as a couple so much, as they average one another out and make up for each other's faults.

Dex-chan lover
I thought it was a long time of silence but judging by the clock on pages 10 and 11 not even a minute has passed.

Shounen talking like a know it all really grinds my gears. So fucking arrogant for a teenager like him to talk about how life should be.

Double-page supporter
@Emanresu He’s in middle school and he’s just a kid, so get over yourself. Your comment “really grinds my gears.” We don’t even know what his situation is at home or why he needs/wants the money.

Double-page supporter
@Tamerlane I’m fine with age-gap romances in fiction, but I think I’d enjoy it more if he was older, at least in high-school instead of middle school. Or a time skip at the very least.

Dex-chan lover
I think part of me is desensitized to fictional examples because I'm so used to history where people married EXTREMELY young and sometimes with huge age gaps that these just seem tame in comparison.

Granted, if it happened in the modern day world in real life, I'd be a bit more concerned... @liquidsword

@liquidsword Exactly. He's a kid and he talks as if he's lived long enough to know how life should be lived. And just like how we don't know his situation, he also doesn't even know Onee-san that much too so that's no way to speak to someone just because she's a slacker.

It's one thing to believe in something and pursue it, but it's another to look down on people with a different set of ideals than you do.

Aggregator gang
@liquidsword We actually have a pretty basic idea of what his home life is like. No dad, small apartment, place is a mess, mom works late at night at some presumably dead end job and has low self esteem about it because she thinks she's dumb and unable to do better for her kid. It's completely reasonable for this kid to be hyper focused on trying to do well and make money to provide for his mom and himself when he's older.

Double-page supporter
@Tamerlane I’d definitely have a problem with it in real life, but in fiction, not at all. If a certain theme in fiction makes me uncomfortable, I just don’t read it.

Double-page supporter
@Emanresu My problem is that you’re calling him “arrogant” and saying he “really grinds your gears” as if he isn’t a middle school kid with home/family/financial problems. You’re basically being dramatic IMO. Your sentiment would be more understandable if it was a grown adult being that condescending.

Aggregator gang
Lmfao, people shitting on a middle school kid who clearly has home problems.
I had the perfect family and I was still a silly edgelord in middle school. Let the guy act like a kid somewhat.

@liquidsword I mean, he really is arrogant in this certain chapter for looking down on Onee-san's lifestyle, telling her she doesn't understand how life should be lived. Being a middle school student doesn't mean that he's exempted from such criticism. Besides, I can't empathize to someone whose story I don't know, so I just stated my observation. And even if he has some tragic backstory that caused him to be like that, it doesn't change the fact that he was arrogant. Well, at least he realized it soon though.

And I fail to understand how I am being dramatic. I just expressed my dissatisfaction over his actions. Also I'm not specifically annoyed by Shounen himself, I'm annoyed by him acting as a know it all despite being a kid. That's why I specified it in my first comment.

Users who are viewing this thread