Shuukan Shounen Hachi - Vol. 5 Ch. 42 - Because You Were Here

Dex-chan lover
Too bad this was axed. I really enjoyed this manga too even is not as much as jitsu wa.

Will read author's next works

Power Uploader
Hopefully next we get to read Inohara's historical supernatural sci-fi detective romance about pandas.

Or some psychological horror à la Toumei Ningen. I'd be fine with that too.

Jitsu wa was popular enough that it shouldn't be hard for him to start another series, let's hope he puts more thought into the beginning next time.

Dex-chan lover
Time to burn Japan down.

Throw in some people from the comments section here and we'll be in a better world.

Group Leader
this manga was alright but even from the very beginning i couldn't see it running for very long. it'd kind of fall into a cycle of "hachi and his friends try to advance in the school ranking, it looks like they won't make it but they do" over and over til a rank where he'd have a showdown with mike again. after that you'd have to show the professional world which just kind of retreads the same thing (will they get serialized, looks like they might not, they do/don't, repeat) and that'd be basically the same as the school ranking setup.

still sad to see it go because the characters were fun and even if the story isn't always the best (imo) the mangaka has a ton of love for his craft and his energy really gets through in both his writing (even when filtered through a translation! (thank you for your hard work translation team)) and his art which is always great.

i think he needs to work on figuring out ways to have a longer term plot if he wants to keep his stories serialized. that and drawing new character designs that are more unique from his old ones. anyway this was a fun little series.

Power Uploader
@Minkulus Strangely enough, to me the character designs of this series felt less and less similar to Jitsu wa as the series went on… Like, at first Mikeya was totally Nagisa, but near the end I found the resemblance much less striking. Same for Alice or Inohara. And most character designs like Myaako, Enma or the D-rank teacher were unique enough already. Hell, even Hachi had an unusual design for a shounen protag (dat chonmage!), though he did kinda look like a male Mikan with his hair down. X)

As for the writing, I'd say Masuda's main flaw is that he often remains a bit too… abstract. I'm especially referring to the inner monologues with the rectangle boxes, that he constantly uses. Sometimes it gives us a nice insight into the characters' minds, but other times it feels like it's just there to fill the pages… It was particularly glaring in Sakura Discord, and to a lesser extent in Hachi… In this final chapter for example, I think the last 3-4 pages could have been completely textless without losing much.

Contributor
Well, that was disappointing. Very much a season finale, rather than a complete story. But oh well...

Dex-chan lover
Japs you pieces of shit with shit taste REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Group Leader
ill-never-forgive-the-japanese-16025261.png

Group Leader
NOOOO!!! It`s already over!!! ><
So that`s why the romance was made so soon, and that`s why hachi`s development in his skills was so fast... the story was a lot shorter...
I thought it would be as long as Jitsu ha... I`m disappointed that it ended so soon, it seemed to be building up to a much larger story.

oh man if this pisses me off -.- I'm reliving zui wu dao again argh!
it's like eastern audience doesn't give a fuck about quality content >.>

I totally get why this ended so quickly, I'm glad the author ended it pretty definitively. It's good to see a story that actually crafts an ending instead of just losing steam and crawling to a halt.

This manga getting axed gave me mixed feelings, here are my opinions on it, feel free to correct me or give your own:
-Comedy, I love the first 10-20 chapters because of the interesting interactions between the characters and the comedy. Alice-senpai, Inohara, and Not-Aluminum are the best part of the series, probably because they most resemble JwWw. I felt kinda betrayed when Alice became a background character after her part in the E rank arc (except for the finale but everyone was there soo), you can edit her out for somebody else and I wouldn't blink an eye, Inohara is still Inohara, Not-Alien is still great comedy-wise, alongside those are many great side characters that are extremely entertaining to read like helmet sensei, class D sensei and those guys who should really go to music school. Overall, it was great, not as absurd or over-the-top as JwWw but a welcomed change.
-Story, the ladder half of the series has departed from the romCOM we expected from him and turned into a more traditional shounen story along with its troupes like Hachi winning and improving because of sheer hard work and aww isn't he just perfect, love interest whose main defining trait is that she's the love interest,etc. Don't get me wrong at best of times it can be hype as SHIT but for some reason, although moving at a blistering rate the pacing seems off a bit probably because of the abstract or boring inner monologue boxes that are so boring and mostly predictable, not contributing much to the direct appeal, this is the "mixed" part to me.
-Romance, I don't have much to say other than that Handa is a cardboard cut-out with a cute girl drawn on it( I'm so getting stoned for this) and more of a plot device, she MIGHT become more interesting as the series develop her more but because this is axed we'll never know.
Actually, a lot of things become worst because of axe-kun. I think that Eiji planned for this to be long-running, thus more time to resolve and flesh out the characters more. Nipon was probably drawn in by the JwWw author's name, stick for the first part and jumped it when it goes full shounen.
Tldr: first half yay, ladder half meh, Panda SUX, I'm mad cuz I miss jitsu better luck next time.

Users who are viewing this thread