Slime Saint - Ch. 4 - Operation Friendship

Dex-chan lover
There's also what's called a "red herring" in fiction, where they present something that can be taken as nefarious, but isn't. Very common and popular trope, that one.

As someone who has drunk a LOT of tea in my life, prepared by myself and by a great many others, from old teas to new teas, cheap teas to expensive teas; any form of black tea is bitter up-front, period. Preparing it properly simply means that it's not bitter to the point of astringency.

The reason for this is in part due to the preparation process that black tea goes through; they're lightly fried (often termed as "withered" since no additional oil is used, only the natural oils on the leaves themselves) in a wok at high heat to begin the oxidation process, then rolled across a wicker plate (or industrial facsimile thereof) to release any leftover moisture from the leaves before frying them again to halt the oxidation process. The combination of oxidation, moisture reduction, and twice-frying over high heat using the tea leaves' own natural oils means that you concentrate the tannins (which are bitter/astringent and heat-stable) into a much smaller volume/weight of black tea tea leaf.

Additionally, black tea focuses on using mature tea leaves, which due to their longer growth time have fewer amino acids compared to young leaves (the fuzzy down on young leaves is exceptionally high in them) and thus lose a lot of the balancing sweetness associated with green teas, and also have a much greater volume of catechins, which are naturally occuring polyphenols that create the other half of the natural bitterness of tea.

Only green tea isn't guarenteed to be bitter at all, but can still have some bitter notes due to the catechins and tannins, still; here is where cultivar really matters to differentiate.

Also, "sweet tea" doesn't count because it dumps an absolute crapload of sugar in to negate the bitterness and swing all the way back into sweetness by changing the fundemental chemistry of the drink; it's basically no longer tea at that point. Rooibos and other herbal tisanes also don't count for a much more obvious reason: because they aren't made with tea leaves.
only green tea isn't bitter at all

Shou puerh, oolong, white tea would beg to differ (theres more types, like yellow or fu, hai cha and the lther dozen fermented teas (which includes puerh). YOUNG Sheng puerh however, is bitter and will blow your eyes out if you over brew it lol

Also black tea isn't always bitter, far from it, it can be sweeter than greens and oolong (not puerh or white usually, but depends on the tea in question, but whites generally have at least some level of honey note, and puerh when it is sweet, is like sucking on candy, if you dont overbrew it, sheng puerh oversteeped is horrid, shou becomes an abyss when oversteeped) Hell, my favorite black tea has notes of milk chocolate, all natural no flavorings just the tea, another I wasn't as fond of tasted like roasted sunflower, even my go to lapsang souchong (smoke tea) had this lovely baked carrot within the smoke.

And one good example of a sweeter oolong is duckshit aroma, or at least the two types I've tried, which both had peach notes to its tastes (so did one Sheng I devoured despite it burning a hole in my wallet, it tasted like peach and cream candy, again, just from the tea itself, tea is magical)

Tea itself actually has natural sweetness...if you grandpa or gong fu it, the two main methods of Chinese tea making , which is gentler and brings out more of the tea flavor without the bitterness, by way of more leaf rather than time.

Then again, tea in a bag is bitter by default cause it is broken up, the second reason tea will be bitter, which is one reason people think tea is bitter, since breaking and crushing it makes it release all the stuff inside it quicker, which includes the elements that make it bitter. Which means the cakes of pressed tea I man handle can vary between sweet or bitter depending on how much I fucked up prying it apart.

Which is why I gong fu it and go out of my way to buy whole leaf or pressed cakes. And use spring water, since purified water will make it tasteless (minerals in water are needed for the chemicals that taste in tea to activate) or tap (mine makes everything tastes of almonds)

Dex-chan lover
Wait that just made me realise, that also meant the maid's family have been telling her white lies about her tea. She got really lucky to make tea only after the saint had been replaced.
Or they like bitter tea. I do, I guzzle young Sheng puerh, which will always be some level of bitter until you're deep in a gong fu session and have steeped it nearly a dozen times lol

Dex-chan lover
After that maid handed that whip, I just imagined an alternate timeline where the slime is trying to imitate the original body's tyranny while being completely bad and embarrassed by it and the maids just plays along with it.

Oh wait, there's already a vampire playing that role somewhere in my backlogs. Just got to dig up a mountain.
I'm also reminded of An Incompetent Woman Wants to Be a Villainess: The Young Lady Who Married as a Substitute for Her Stepsister Didn't Notice the Duke's Doting. Basically, the female lead is a nice girl and book-smart but a bit of an airhead when it comes to social interactions. Her half-sister is a villainess, and looks enough like her that she was able to ruin the female lead's reputation by impersonating her in public situations. The female lead ends up in an arranged marriage that's supposed to be fake, and she thinks the guy expects her to act like a villainess, so she tries her best but it's really not convincing.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, people who are used to black tea only describe it as bitter if it is more bitter than they expect from a properly prepared cup. Someone who is used to preparing tea for people who drink tea hear bitter and they also think "more bitter than expected."

Slime, tea for the first time: "Ooh, tea is bitter unlike meat, nifty neato"
Maid: "Oh no, I am dead, I messed her tea up."

Chekhov's Gun already went off and these people still staring at the spot on the wall it used to be...

Dex-chan lover
How can there be that much dust if she's cleaned it five times? Is she that incompetent, or does the supervisor maid produce dust from somewhere else? She seems to have that kind of attitude at times...

Kids drinking tea is a bit unusual, if it's a bitter type of tea.

One person on the approval list. Not that she's aware of it.

any other manga similar to this but with a lot of chapters so I can binge?
"I'm the step mother but my daughter is too cute" also a story of someone being reincarnated into the body of a villainous and trying to rebuild their reputation
That story has a title very similar to a WN about a villainess's father, although I'm not sure it has a manga. Which spends 90% of the time of him gushing over his cute daughter and wife. "I'll Shower My Wife and Daughter in Love", I think it's called. It's another step away from this one, though.

When imposter is trying to be a good guy.
Being a good guy is a good way to get away with being caught as an imposter.

The bitterness of the tea is probably implyjng that it was chockfull with cyanide.
Tea can be bitter, so I'm not sure. Certainly a possibility.

What do the two maids mean by "incredible girl" ?
Someone who either can handle that totally sadistic villainess, or someone who enjoys that kind of thing.

Dex-chan lover
Shou puerh, oolong, white tea would beg to differ (theres more types, like yellow or fu, hai cha and the lther dozen fermented teas (which includes puerh). YOUNG Sheng puerh however, is bitter and will blow your eyes out if you over brew it lol

Also black tea isn't always bitter, far from it, it can be sweeter than greens and oolong (not puerh or white usually, but depends on the tea in question, but whites generally have at least some level of honey note, and puerh when it is sweet, is like sucking on candy, if you dont overbrew it, sheng puerh oversteeped is horrid, shou becomes an abyss when oversteeped) Hell, my favorite black tea has notes of milk chocolate, all natural no flavorings just the tea, another I wasn't as fond of tasted like roasted sunflower, even my go to lapsang souchong (smoke tea) had this lovely baked carrot within the smoke.

And one good example of a sweeter oolong is duckshit aroma, or at least the two types I've tried, which both had peach notes to its tastes (so did one Sheng I devoured despite it burning a hole in my wallet, it tasted like peach and cream candy, again, just from the tea itself, tea is magical)

Tea itself actually has natural sweetness...if you grandpa or gong fu it, the two main methods of Chinese tea making , which is gentler and brings out more of the tea flavor without the bitterness, by way of more leaf rather than time.

Then again, tea in a bag is bitter by default cause it is broken up, the second reason tea will be bitter, which is one reason people think tea is bitter, since breaking and crushing it makes it release all the stuff inside it quicker, which includes the elements that make it bitter. Which means the cakes of pressed tea I man handle can vary between sweet or bitter depending on how much I fucked up prying it apart.

Which is why I gong fu it and go out of my way to buy whole leaf or pressed cakes. And use spring water, since purified water will make it tasteless (minerals in water are needed for the chemicals that taste in tea to activate) or tap (mine makes everything tastes of almonds)
To be perfectly honest (and I know that this would get me called a heretic by those who make a really big deal out of the finer details of tea), but I didn't forget to note any of them other than fermented teas- I simply rolled them into their general categories, since they don't really deserve a separate category themselves.

White teas as a category (rather than sub-category) don't really exist since they're really not much more than an even lighter green tea preparation done to leaves initially picked for black tea (so you get the more mature leaves' profiles as well as the young buds used in both categories), being then baked and lightly rolled instead of steamed and rolled as is done for greens. They are the most impacted by cultivar variety used within the family of green teas.

Oolongs are much the same as a sub-category rather than category in that they're basically black tea in process that is oxidized for a variable duration rather than fully oxidized, such that oxidation can range from near-green to near-full black, giving it some green tea notes that vary based on that level of oxidation, while otherwise being a black tea.

Yellows are the least deserving of their own category, as they are just green teas that are steamed for longer, which makes the chlorophyll break down and become a yellowish green, the source of the yellow colour of those teas; I don't even consider them a proper sub-category.

Lastly, fermented teas; young fermented tea is basically just green tea, since that's what it is before it gets prepared for fermenting, and the fermentation process hasn't changed it sufficiently from the original product. The fermentation process also is an oxidation process (resulting from outside influence rather than the tea's own enzymes), & the microbacterial/fungal processing breaks down some of the compounds and creates new ones unique to the fermentation process form of oxidation (in large part through free radicals), giving it a distinctively different flavour, and the processing is sufficiently different that it does deserve its own category, so thank you for pointing out that I forgot to mention it. That said, any Sheng puerh is by definition old, considering its has been fermented for a long time to even reach the designation of "Sheng" to begin with; only thing I can think of that you're referring to for a "young Sheng" is the green tea base used to make fermented teas. Shu puerh is just the same base of tea "Mao" (the unoxidized green tea base I mentioned above) used for Sheng, but artificially ripened to be ready in months rather than years, basically treating the maocha like compost and monitoring the moisture content and temperature, mixing it every so often so it doesn't develop the wrong kind of mold that likes really moist tea.

Now, finally, addressing tea varieties aside:

I said that black teas are always bitter up-front. This doesn't mean that they don't have more complex flavours behind the bitterness, just that the first taste to touch your tongue will be that initial bitter shock. I also didn't say that "only green isn't bitter at all", I said, and I quote, "Only green tea isn't guarenteed to be bitter at all, but can still have some bitter notes due to the catechins and tannins, still; here is where cultivar really matters to differentiate.", emphasis mine.

Yeah, people who are used to black tea only describe it as bitter if it is more bitter than they expect from a properly prepared cup. Someone who is used to preparing tea for people who drink tea hear bitter and they also think "more bitter than expected."

Slime, tea for the first time: "Ooh, tea is bitter unlike meat, nifty neato"
Maid: "Oh no, I am dead, I messed her tea up."

Chekhov's Gun already went off and these people still staring at the spot on the wall it used to be...
No, even if it's exactly as bitter as I expect it to be, or even less, bitter is still bitter. Being a supertaster doesn't help in that respect, sure, but getting the depth of the tea after that initial bitter shock is always a delight.

Dex-chan lover
To be perfectly honest (and I know that this would get me called a heretic by those who make a really big deal out of the finer details of tea), but I didn't forget to note any of them other than fermented teas- I simply rolled them into their general categories, since they don't really deserve a separate category themselves.

White teas as a category (rather than sub-category) don't really exist since they're really not much more than an even lighter green tea preparation done to leaves initially picked for black tea (so you get the more mature leaves' profiles as well as the young buds used in both categories), being then baked and lightly rolled instead of steamed and rolled as is done for greens. They are the most impacted by cultivar variety used within the family of green teas.

Oolongs are much the same as a sub-category rather than category in that they're basically black tea in process that is oxidized for a variable duration rather than fully oxidized, such that oxidation can range from near-green to near-full black, giving it some green tea notes that vary based on that level of oxidation, while otherwise being a black tea.

Yellows are the least deserving of their own category, as they are just green teas that are steamed for longer, which makes the chlorophyll break down and become a yellowish green, the source of the yellow colour of those teas; I don't even consider them a proper sub-category.

Lastly, fermented teas; young fermented tea is basically just green tea, since that's what it is before it gets prepared for fermenting, and the fermentation process hasn't changed it sufficiently from the original product. The fermentation process also is an oxidation process (resulting from outside influence rather than the tea's own enzymes), & the microbacterial/fungal processing breaks down some of the compounds and creates new ones unique to the fermentation process form of oxidation (in large part through free radicals), giving it a distinctively different flavour, and the processing is sufficiently different that it does deserve its own category, so thank you for pointing out that I forgot to mention it. That said, any Sheng puerh is by definition old, considering its has been fermented for a long time to even reach the designation of "Sheng" to begin with; only thing I can think of that you're referring to for a "young Sheng" is the green tea base used to make fermented teas. Shu puerh is just the same base of tea "Mao" (the unoxidized green tea base I mentioned above) used for Sheng, but artificially ripened to be ready in months rather than years, basically treating the maocha like compost and monitoring the moisture content and temperature, mixing it every so often so it doesn't develop the wrong kind of mold that likes really moist tea.

Now, finally, addressing tea varieties aside:

I said that black teas are always bitter up-front. This doesn't mean that they don't have more complex flavours behind the bitterness, just that the first taste to touch your tongue will be that initial bitter shock. I also didn't say that "only green isn't bitter at all", I said, and I quote, "Only green tea isn't guarenteed to be bitter at all, but can still have some bitter notes due to the catechins and tannins, still; here is where cultivar really matters to differentiate.", emphasis mine.

No, even if it's exactly as bitter as I expect it to be, or even less, bitter is still bitter. Being a supertaster doesn't help in that respect, sure, but getting the depth of the tea after that initial bitter shock is always a delight.

There is a lot wrong with what you said here

Fermented teas while similar are vastly and appreciably different from one another due to how they are fermented, their preparation and storage, they do deserve categorization, especially Sheng and Shou puerh, since those are too very different things

White teas are their own thing entirely, it is often sun dried, and it has their own range of flavors ranging wet hay, stewed cherry and of course, nearly always honey (greens tend to be more vegetal, herbaceous or nutty, I've had tomatoey greens, piney greens, and greens that taste closest to any other type of veg)

also the way of preparing green and black teas varies vastly between the type that is being made, some times black teas are rolled like greens, sometimes greens aren't rolled.

That you call Oolong a sub category is plain ridiculous, people, especially in the west like to try and force oolong to fit between green and black as a middle point/ mixture. This is wrong, very wrong. Oolong is perhaps the type of tea with the MOST variations, whether through preparation or varietals used, though the two big ones are charcoal roasted and those which aren't, but that's just scratching the surface and oolong alone eclipses the forms of three types of tea, black, white, and green in the many, many ways it is made. It is not a sub category, at all, to be simple and concise. But suffice to say, they are not basically black tea, if you've ever had a cup of oolong, this would be obvious

Can't say anything about yellow tea, since it is hard to come by and I haven't had it since my favorite sellers don't keep much of it in stock

And this is even more outrageous? Young fermented tea is like green tea? No it isn't. The taste is entirely different, the way it is steeped and created is entirely different. And the claim that fermenting it hasn't changed it, is just plain nonsense. You WILL know if you got given a young Sheng Puerh rather than green tea, you will know if you've been given an aged sheng instead of green tea, and you will defiantly know if its shou, aged or not. But this claim seems to be a misunderstanding of terminology, so allow me to explain myself.

When I say Young Sheng, I mean Sheng which hasn't been aged as Puerh for long, this is the standard way of referring to it, everyone who is into puerh does it, its how it is marketed by the sellers, and the farmers who they get it from. Some people by cakes to age themselves, some only drink Puerh stored in certain regions, it is a whole thing. It is called Young for years after production and fermentation, Until its astringency mellows with age. You are however right about shou, it was made to basically speed run Puerh but not for time, it was to try and mimic the taste of Aged Sheng, which is at least seven years old by usual measures. Not to mention tea makers get experimental with the leaves they use to make both Sheng and Shou, it isn't just what is used for green tea, but generally and traditionally, that tends to be what is used

And I have drank enough black tea to drown small nations, unless it is over steeped or made in the English method (which by design will make it bitter, since using as little tea as is generally used in western brewing, to get any flavor you must steep it for awhile, and that in turn, allows more of the bitter chemicals to leech out into one brewing), bitterness is not the first note on the tongue. It depends on the tea what that is, some are much more predominantly sweet, some are what I'd call dry, and others have more roasted/ malty notes. But unless you're using broken leaves and or brewing it the british way, it will not have a bitter shock.
And Ignored that bit about not being guaranteed bitter, cause its wrong

No tea is guaranteed to be bitter, cept young shengs and that's a sliding scale. Broken, mulched leaves will be bitter, but no varietal or form of tea is bitter by nature besides it, so green tea, naturally, is not an exception to a rule that doesn't exist.

It really just seems you've googled most of this, cause of how much you focus on the production methods and how they're similar rather than what the tea actually is and your vast misunderstandings of the varieties of it, especially what young sheng was, but to be fair, that is the realm of gong fu nuts like myself, and just reading about Sheng and Shou wouldn't explain that and neither do most "What is puerh" blurbs that sites make to try and hawk what they claim is puerh to ignorant masses (I will burn harney and sons to the ground for what they sell as Puerh, that stuff had a mouthfeel of dust and a taste of sun baked seaweed and decayed sealife, it was an utter abomination, and I drink shous that taste like stewed oak wood!)

Green and white are close yes, but are much more different than they are similar

Oolong is so vast and varied its nearly ripped itself free from the rest of tea, its insane how varied oolong is.

Dex-chan lover
Talk about a debate of tea experts. I am learning so much.

Thanks all.
I love tea, simple as, and will take any chance I can get to discuss it. The main difference seems to be that they brew western (read english) and I brew Gong fu (chinese), since a lot of what they're saying is what sites like harney & sons (a pox upon their house, A POX!) and other western oriented online shops say about tea that is more "exotic" to the english and americans, They often group white tea with green, and often call Oolong a mix of black and green, misconceptions that are like a needle being poked every so gently on my arse whenever I hear them repeated. And if they have puerh, they just call it puerh, and it is often the stuff that people like me avoid, the dreaded wet storage funk, which makes it fishy and unpleasant, it can be saved with time and proper storage conditions, but any worthwhile tea site that deals in puerh will not sell that ruination of tea
But the western ones do, and slap Puerh on it, not telling you what it is, or where it came from. It is the mystery meat of tea! And is why lots of newcomers are scared of puerh (it is, overall, Sheng and Shou, a acquired taste, some people won't touch puerh if it isn't older than they are, I've only drank a roasted oolong that has spent more time on this earth than myself, and usually buy up Young Shengs and Shous (since aging shous really doesn't effect much, unlike Shengs, and any site that puts a mark up on "Aged" shou, is trying to run your pockets, unless the mark up is because its some of the last in a good production that the seller sold their kidney for)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter :glee:
Ujzxnrz.gif

Dex-chan lover
Damn I hope author keeps romance out of this story and doesnt just introduce a random guy… Only romance allowed if author decides to add it is MC and this cute maid

Users who are viewing this thread