So I'm a Spider, So What? - Vol. 9 Ch. 43.1

Finally we are gonna meet “her”!!! My fav ~ 🕷💚 I’m glad we have come this far :) thank you for the translation!

Dex-chan lover
@BloodySorcerer
I don't think I was patronized so hard before, I am actually impressed.
You think I have no idea what is asexual reproduction? I am saying that calling asexual reproduction "a skill", is stupid. I'm saying that putting [[skill]] over practically anything and everything, is stupid. I'm saying the mere name of "egglaying", to suggest asexual reproduction, is stupid.
If that creature can reproduce asexually, it reproduces asexually. Calling it [[egg laying <<SKILL>>]] is asinine and needlessly trapped within its own lingo of the gamified isekai genre, to the point it doesn't even make sense anymore. The mere idea that it even had to be pointed out in a large, single panel, staggers me.
"She used her <<egg laying>> skill!" -- is that supposed to be impressive?
Notice what I am ranting about here. It's the tone of the narrative and the choice of words, not the mechanical particularities behind the subject matter.

@DLRevan @Muklas
I just want to reply to ya'll at least once, since you were so remarkably belligerent and self important: none of you think of how dreadfully stupid it is, to give to these "robot-like creatures", <<skills>> for every seemingly natural biological function? Let's make literally everything a skill, because why not? Digestion, metabolism, puking, defecating -- heck, why not even have a skill that says "chewing"? How about "walking"? Huh? Why is that not normal? Why is that suddenly so silly? Why do you need a <<skill>>, to do something actual biological species can do in our world, but they don't need any for any other "natural function"? Is it perhaps that this story is not as clever as you think it is? Get over yourselves, sheesh.

The only way in which there's even a rational reason to make something like asexual reproduction as a magical capability, is if she literally creates eggs out of nothing (i.e: mana). And even if that's the case, calling it "egg laying" is silly. "Egg creation" would make much more contextual sense.
But if the mere ability to reproduce is a system-bound mechanism, then that means the entire glossary of capabilities of any given monster, should be filled with redundancies like I listed above, but I already bitched about that.

Dex-chan lover
@mahtan

images

Fed-Kun's army
I recognize those horns from an older chapter.
Hey there, demon king?

If you think about it, humans are at a base level, pretty boring when compared to other living things, we don't really have all thats special about us, just a high amount of intelligence and throwing capabilities, and sentience if you count that as a feature of humans. Spiders on the other hand, are super complex, they have eight legs and the ability to produce thread, no to mention the special abilities of different species of spiders. Of course, in practice, high intelligence and the ability to throw things makes for a very complex species able to create many things, but just looking at it from outside...

Fed-Kun's army
@Solipsist I honestly agree with you but for the egg laying skill part, I think the skill is more than what we think. Like, laying eggs more efficiently than if she were to lay eggs naturally. like sword skills. Either you learn or get them as a skill in a fantasy world. Do you get what I'm saying? 😅

Dex-chan lover
@sjmcc13
Aye, that's true, but that's a bit of the stuff I was trying to avoid spoiling. I mean that scene has tons of stuff that makes a lot more sense later. But they were asking more for who that person was. And her origins involve characters not even introduced yet.

@WhimsiCat
I actually took that as a little bit of both, granted, it's been a long time since I read up on it.
Mother does ask Ariel for help. And in a similar fashion the other Queen Taratects and Ariel herself could be susceptible to that form of attack.

Dex-chan lover
@Meskie
Mhm. That's usually the case. Rarely do these things actually grant capabilities.
I do recall seeing some mangos do it, though. Like once a human gains "flying", they can actually fly, rather than "fly better".

@Solipsist
Well, Poison Fang and Thread Creation are also skills, even though they're natural biological functions of spiders, so there's that.
The real answer is that the Egg-Laying skill is plot-relevant.
The Parallel Wills are currently attacking Mother by eating away at her soul. When they return to Kumoko, they bring many, if not most, of Mother's skills and stats with them. So Kumoko then has the Egg-Laying skill as well.
She later experiments with it, and figures out how to make backup bodies with it. While incidentally also creating a new spider species with dozens to hundreds of members, most of them becoming as strong as dragons. (The Hero's party is dispatched to deal with one, and that single one nearly wipes them out.)

Users who are viewing this thread