So I'm a Spider, So What? - Vol. 9 Ch. 43.1

Group Leader
@solipsist That because the mother is a monster not an animal, and monster can’t breed unless they have a skill to allow them to.

Didn’t you notice that the mother is laying eggs without a male to help with the fertilizing? That’s the result of the skill.

Dex-chan lover
loli-grandma
@DrunkinDonut : about her origins
The Mao is one of the oldest non-gods in the world (I think there are only 2 older individuals), pre-dating the current RPG system that granted skills and stats as well as creating monsters.
she is a human/normal-spider genetic hybrid created by a mad scientist obsessed with immortality, who is still alive and responsible for most of the worlds problems

@MUTO
In the light novel, which the manga is based on, this would be Volume 4 Chapters 5: Evolution (near the end) and 6: Guerilla Warfare. Next Kumoko chapter is
7: Demon Lord Attack
The light novel changed the order of events significantly from the web novel, so there is no corresponding WN chapter. But the events here and in the previous chapter occur in chapters 148 to 169. Though the events occurring at the same time in the web novel (such as
encountering the vampire reincarnator baby and hanging around her hometown
) occur in the future in the light novel and manga.

Dex-chan lover
@DrunkinDonut: Actually,
Wasn't it more of her being 'afraid' of Kumoko's soul attacks on the Mothers and decide to personally intervene since other methods didn't seem to work?

The 'old' Ariel was basically too cowardly to act despite having the maou title since the previous one (the one that attacked D) died (that's why the now-aide was taking charge temporarily)
And even when she killed the 'corrupted' Mother, that just resulted in her existence being revealed and those attacks now aimed at her too.

In the end through the struggle her soul and one of Kumoko's will (magic in charge iirc?) basically mixed together and resulted in the Ariel as seen in the war council (note the 'catchphrase' nai wa from Kumoko)
How much of a difference?
Well, old ariel would just silently/promptly murder you.
New Ariel would totally say "It's me, maou shoujo ariel-chan"

Aggregator gang
@Solipsist it's a skill when the one using it is a goddamn magical robot, the Mothers have zero of the necessary plumbing to actually create and fertilize eggs so the skill is there to enable them to do so.

Dex-chan lover
@Solipsist Maybe if you stopped to think about it, you should realize the basic monsters all don't have a way to propagate like regular animals. Since its a skill, its also not limited like a regular biological function, such as requiring fertilization, raw materials or even growth time.

You had to have already accepted how ridiculous this ability inherently is to somehow think it's too mundane to be a proper skill. Perhaps you should reconsider your current standards of common sense.

@Whimshicat
From what I remember the whole "being too afraid to act" was only in the WN, while in the LN Ariel jumps in because Mother asked for her help and she ain't gonna let anyone kill her family. Also in the WN Ariel came in the fight after getting infected by Body in charge meanwhile in the LN she get infected because she joined in and Body in charge saw their only chance to defeat her in corrupting her or something like that

Dex-chan lover
"Once again I have cut another worthless object" What a chuuni

Fed-Kun's army
@Solipsist Other's have already explained but I'll give you more details. The Egglaying ability allows a monster to assexually reproduce by copying their own genetic information and create a different kind of clone as an offspring.
Different because unlike a clone it can use the other genes that are not active but you still inherited to create a being totally defferent from your own. Such as when you're like me and has genes from both europeans and africans(my grandparents on both sides, on mother's side one was black, her parent's were mentioned to be one black and the other native, and the other was blond supposedly of Swiss descent, on father's, my grandfather was an actual Portuguese), and also of natives, but you instead of looking like you're mixed, you're blindingly white.
Now imagine if from this setup you married a caucasian girl but your son or daughter was born black(which actually can happen naturally if you're of mixed descent). Of course you'll think your wife has betrayed you, but it can actually happen for real. And the problem would be your genes. It's the same situation here.

Double-page supporter
Is it a translation thing or does the author make zero effort whatsoever to make mc seem like a girl? Speaking patterns in particular.

@marcyvq
The speech patterns seem fine to me? I much prefer it to the overly girlish thoughts that you get in other manga on the site, and it makes sense to me that someone who... hasn’t been a human girl in any sense of the word for so long would lose any such affectations- she’s been fighting for her survival in a big cave since the story began and thus androgyny is hardly surprising.
Besides, girls don’t have any real ‘speech patterns’ that are entirely unique to them, even if some women share speech quirks there are always exceptions.

Users who are viewing this thread