Social Survival Rabbits - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - I Am Now Saving Their Lives

Group Leader
I agree with what criver said, AJIN is good if you like death note and such.

Fed-Kun's army
@NaturalTalentless My whole point was that the "death/survival game" genre is really lazy, and that killing characters off all the time is a bad author's idea of good writing. This obviously comes from somewhere. Plenty of good stories have characters that die. The point is that a contrived reason to kill people (like some random game that appears) is a really cheap way to add suspense. I would just read a genre that doesn't tend to attract shit-tier authors so often.

Contributor
???
2x

Nvm, i like death games, so let's see how it will be.

@criver

How can you clown on Borderlands for its 'pseudo-philosophy' and talk about manga uniqueness, then recommend two zombie apocalypse series, generic shounen battle series and recommend Gantz/Tokyo Ghoul/Highschool of the Dead which are downright awful?

Dex-chan lover
@TheWill Because Alice in Borderlands comes off as extremely pretentious with its pseudo-philosophical questions and twist - clearly my opinion triggered you, but that's your problem. The two
three
zombie apocalypse manga I recommended just stood out to me from the rest due to the execution - the survival aspect was palpable, and NaturalTalentless asked for survival - there's also a reason I put them in one of the last places. I am not sure what generic shounen battle manga you're talking about. Gantz is one of the most original works in its genre regardless of whether you like it. Tokyo Ghoul also brings the same survival feel I mentioned - and I already warned him that the further he goes the worse it gets. You're free to dislike them, NaturalTalentless can make his own decision after he reads a few chapters.

P.S. You can make your MD list public.

@criver

Being original is nice, but Gantz absolutely goes to shit with one of the worst final arcs in manga history and downright horrendous writing. I was just calling out a bad take, it was just ironic you mention stuff that shouldn't even be considered a survival manga (Tokyo Ghoul, Deadman Wonderland) or just really, really bad ones (HotD). I'm not triggered by the way, I respect that you put emphasis on originality (that is always a great thing for a series), but it should not be a deciding factor on whether you recommend something or not. I actually thought Gantz was amazing as well, so I do recommend that series despite its inconsistent pacing and awful finale arc.

@NaturalTalentless should read Alice in Borderland (especially when it's much closer to Werewolf Game/Tomodachi Game than any of your recommendations) where there's a heavy emphasis on 'psychological warfare'.

I don't update my MD, I can just PM you my MAL if you want to look at my reading history for whatever reason?

Fed-Kun's army
@TheWill I didn't get very far in any of these titles (thank god), so I'm probably equally biased here, but it really does seem like you were just triggered by him insulting Borderland. Why else would you come in here with a stretch like "you said X is pseudo-intellectual, but you like Y which isn't unique"? He didn't say that something has to be unique or even well-written to be good. He just said he was turned off by one aspect of something you like (or at least would recommend, apparently). It's perfectly possible to only like poorly written titles when they're not pretentious.

Dex-chan lover
@TheWill
I already mentioned that point about Gantz, so we agree:
It kinda goes downhill in one of the last arcs, but otherwise it's great.
I said that Tokyo Ghoul and Deadman wonderland have survival elements, which is objectively the case, regardless of whether you consider them "survival manga". Originality + survival elements have been the criteria on which I based my recommendations - there's no reason it shouldn't be the case.

The stuff you mentioned suffers from the exact problems I and mommunism mentioned.

Do DM me your MAL - I am curious.

@mommuism

I mean, it's fine if I come across as triggered. I'm not -- but, if that's how I'm perceived, then there's nothing really me to say there.

It's clear originality was the most important factor behind his recommendations (which he has already confirmed). But, I obviously didn't articulate my comment very well, so I do apologize to @criver if I came across as antagonistic. With that said, the 'issue' was that dismissing AiB for its 'pseudo-intellect' is just... a strange and honestly bad take, especially in conjunction with recommending Highschool of the Dead and Cradle of Monsters which aren't even good by his own metric (though he already said that's why they're at the end of his list).

@criver

The original comment asked for 'death game' and 'mystery survival' manga, not series that have survival elements. I do agree that Tokyo Ghoul and Deadman Wonderland had survival elements, but both series completely dropped them after a certain point, but they definitely don't qualify as either of the above categories. Especially when the two cited series they enjoyed were Liar Game ('play-or-debt', psychological game) and Future Diary (death game). Alice in Borderland is the ideal amalgamation of these two series.

The stuff you mentioned suffers from the exact problems I and mommunism mentioned.

The stuff I mentioned? You mean the series that the original requested asked for? The generalized criticism of survival and death game series by mommuism and yourself... I agree with. You guys are absolutely correct. Though I don't know why you're saying this when you literally recommended multiple manga with these exact same problems, some with by FAR worse examples.

Dex-chan lover
@TheWill The discrepancy that you noted is explained by my repulsion by pretentious manga like Alice in Borderlands. In comparison HotD was pretty straightforward about what it was meant to be.

@criver

Well, I disagree. Anyway, this conversations pretty done. You didn't even recommend the right type of manga that was requested. I was just offering a different viewpoint because I think yours is... different to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread