Solo Leveling: Ragnarok - Ch. 17

Another thing that rubs me the wrong way with this webtoon adaption, apart from the general changes to the novel, is how Suho is depicted I think.
His dad's been one tough, cool guy from start to finish, hands down. Not that Suho doesn't have that side / those kind of moments - but in the whole he's a bit more... fun? Quirky? In my opinion the novel got much more of a humoristic side compared to it's predecesor.

Dex-chan lover
Hey look, I think that's Esil in the last panel, I wonder how their reunion will go, though, considering he's in "fight demons mode," I imagine there'll be an awkward "I'm on your side idiot" moment coming up soon since his memories from the tower dream simulator thing are still a bit scrambled 🤔

Dex-chan lover
Another thing that rubs me the wrong way with this webtoon adaption, apart from the general changes to the novel, is how Suho is depicted I think.
His dad's been one tough, cool guy from start to finish, hands down. Not that Suho doesn't have that side / those kind of moments - but in the whole he's a bit more... fun? Quirky? In my opinion the novel got much more of a humoristic side compared to it's predecesor.
I mean, is that really a bad thing though? It just shows the difference in how things were for each of them, Jin-woo was forced to grow up fast between needing to support his sister and sick mother and the fact that he had to die to gain his powers. Suho, on the other hand, grew up being one of the few people in the world that knew of Jin-Woo's Shadow Legions, is used to beating bullies from the shadows, gained his powers more naturally and already has a taste for how powerful he can become so he hasn't had any real reason to abandon his more light-hearted nature. Jin-woo was actually quite the jokester himself in the original webtoon once he reached the point where most enemies could touch him, he just couldn't afford to be when death was frequently around every corner because he knew the taste of death all too well. Suho is still learning and growing into his role, there's nothing wrong with him currently being more humorous conceptually than his predecessor (though I don't know if I entirely agree that's actually true if you look at Jin-Woo's interactions with Jinho and any person that tries to recruit him in the original.)

Dex-chan lover
I mean, is that really a bad thing though? It just shows the difference in how things were for each of them, Jin-woo was forced to grow up fast between needing to support his sister and sick mother and the fact that he had to die to gain his powers. Suho, on the other hand, grew up being one of the few people in the world that knew of Jin-Woo's Shadow Legions, is used to beating bullies from the shadows, gained his powers more naturally and already has a taste for how powerful he can become so he hasn't had any real reason to abandon his more light-hearted nature. Jin-woo was actually quite the jokester himself in the original webtoon once he reached the point where most enemies could touch him, he just couldn't afford to be when death was frequently around every corner because he knew the taste of death all too well. Suho is still learning and growing into his role, there's nothing wrong with him currently being more humorous conceptually than his predecessor (though I don't know if I entirely agree that's actually true if you look at Jin-Woo's interactions with Jinho and any person that tries to recruit him in the original.)
I think you missed the point.
What OP is saying is that the webtoon is omitting these quirks of Suho in favor of presenting him as Jin-Woo 2.0, and that's what is rubbing them the wrong way.

Double-page supporter
Oh, is that who I think it is? I hope so, she really was awesome and would love more of her back story.

Users who are viewing this thread