Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi o Suru - Ch. 105

Thank you effeminate fabric man for shortening this melodrama arc

6646dc2e-17ec-49c5-951b-75dc2ab5a4aa.png
That's funny, you think the arc is getting shortened.

Supporter
I know this is stupid question but what went wrong?... I remembered the story get sour after the haniel cosplay but never really mention what went wrong...
What went wrong is that the mangaka got a big head since this series got popular. She decided to spend months on just showing off how good of an artist she is, basically changing the series into a cosplay drama, completely forgetting that this is a SoL romcom with cosplay being the tying thread for the characters. She also completely forgot who her characters were since she was too focused on masturbating to her own art skills. Reread this manga and compare the character traits from the beginning to what we are being shown now, which should be fine if done well, but there was no build up. This was done very forcibly for no discernible reason. I have a feeling that a cosplay drama is what the mangaka wanted to do from the beginning, but couldn't because she knew it wouldn't catch on, so she tricked everyone with a ecchi romcom just so she could get to this point. That's the only way I can rationalize the sudden tonal switch.

Dex-chan lover
would anyone kindly help me understand why everybody is sad as fuck in this manga right now?
Gojou was jealous of all attention Marin got as Archangel Haniel (as if she would start believing she was too good to be by his side) (ch 100), Marin found his face unsettling but she didn't bother asking and acted like nothing happened (ch 101).
The Gojou brought her to a hina dolls event, she wanted to ask him about it, but she didn't and kept on pretending. He hits her with "I wanted to make hina dolls before granpa dies" and she feels the first hit of it, when she decides to ask, they are interrupted by a call from his cousin, the girl that broke Gojou's heart early on was back (ch 103). Once again Marin is hit by how Gojou has been lacking on his hina dolls' practise after he was asked about it by his cousin, that's because he has been focusing on Marin's cosplay because he also promised her, so she feels like he is being a hindrance to his dream because she "made" him make those cosplays (ch 104).

Long story short: Gojou doesn't talk to Marin, Marin doesn't talk to Gojou, no one understands each other.

Dex-chan lover
Gojou was jealous of all attention Marin got as Archangel Haniel (as if she would start believing she was too good to be by his side) (ch 100), Marin found his face unsettling but she didn't bother asking and acted like nothing happened (ch 101).
The Gojou brought her to a hina dolls event, she wanted to ask him about it, but she didn't and kept on pretending. He hits her with "I wanted to make hina dolls before granpa dies" and she feels the first hit of it, when she decides to ask, they are interrupted by a call from his cousin, the girl that broke Gojou's heart early on was back (ch 103). Once again Marin is hit by how Gojou has been lacking on his hina dolls' practise after he was asked about it by his cousin, that's because he has been focusing on Marin's cosplay because he also promised her, so she feels like he is being a hindrance to his dream because she "made" him make those cosplays (ch 104).

Long story short: Gojou doesn't talk to Marin, Marin doesn't talk to Gojou, no one understands each other.
I was wondering what went wrong with the story... It turns out its some big miscommunication or lack of it...

Double-page supporter
TBH feels like a legit Japanese relationship, where people don't talk about their true feelings
It is indeed part of the authentic Japanese experience to just never talk to anyone about your problems because that would be "imposing" yourself and your issues onto their lives. Nevermind how many problems can be solved at breakneck speeds if people just literally talked it out.

Dex-chan lover

my man deserves a medal for this recap 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

I know this is stupid question but what went wrong?... I remembered the story get sour after the haniel cosplay but never really mention what went wrong...
It happened before that, honestly. The shift really started in the arc before all the Haniel stuff threw a wrench into the series, and it's really difficult to point to one specific thing.

Basically the manga went from a weekly/biweekly schedule to a monthly schedule without any significant increase in chapter length and with no concessions made for the pacing of those chapters, which totally tanked the pacing. This was compounded by the fact that the Haniel arc was horrifically paced even if it were a weekly release, with lots of filler pages/chapters and no real actual point to any of it and peoples' moods can begin to sour very quickly.

Couple that with the author's current fixation on relationship drama while still suffering from the above pacing really hits home how much this manga has pivoted from its initial sales pitch, which was, in case anyone has forgotten (and you could be forgiven for forgetting considering how long it's been), "cute gyaru girl does cute cosplay with her friend/boyfriend". To illustrate my point, read some of the chapters from directly before the coffin game arc and compare them to what's been released in the last 2 years. It is a night and day difference.

The author seems to be communicating that the current thrust of the manga is the story she actually wanted to do in the first place, but the problem is that the story she wanted to write seems like it sucks and is boring, and using bait-and-switch tactics to get people to read it, even if that wasn't ever the intention, makes people mad.

Dex-chan lover
Just fucking get on with it already. It's been 105 chapters and it feels like nothing of actual consequence has happened in the last 60. If the author wants to do all this hardcore cosplay otaku stuff she can still do it if Gojou and Marin are a couple. You don't need the goddamn relationship stalling/forced drama nonsense to drag that out. And if anything, the refresher of actually getting the couple together might help stem the tide of people that are getting bored with just how bloody long it's taking this story to do anything anymore.

Supporter
It happened before that, honestly. The shift really started in the arc before all the Haniel stuff threw a wrench into the series, and it's really difficult to point to one specific thing.

Basically the manga went from a weekly/biweekly schedule to a monthly schedule without any significant increase in chapter length and with no concessions made for the pacing of those chapters, which totally tanked the pacing. This was compounded by the fact that the Haniel arc was horrifically paced even if it were a weekly release, with lots of filler pages/chapters and no real actual point to any of it and peoples' moods can begin to sour very quickly.

Couple that with the author's current fixation on relationship drama while still suffering from the above pacing really hits home how much this manga has pivoted from its initial sales pitch, which was, in case anyone has forgotten (and you could be forgiven for forgetting considering how long it's been), "cute gyaru girl does cute cosplay with her friend/boyfriend". To illustrate my point, read some of the chapters from directly before the coffin game arc and compare them to what's been released in the last 2 years. It is a night and day difference.

The author seems to be communicating that the current thrust of the manga is the story she actually wanted to do in the first place, but the problem is that the story she wanted to write seems like it sucks and is boring, and using bait-and-switch tactics to get people to read it, even if that wasn't ever the intention, makes people mad.
This. Like, I can deal with misunderstandings and some drama when it is a normal weekly series or a longer chapter monthly series, but not this shit. The art can be great, but I wouldn't call most of what we've seen as dentition is good enough at to justify this "length of a weekly series and release of a monthly series" shit. Especially worth how often the author is reusing old panels as flashbacks.

There have also been a few times where we had multiples chapters basically do the same things/cover the same points without adding much of anything and that is really frustrating for a monthly series. During the last half of the Haniel arc it felt like we really only got a chapter every 2-3 months because of how slow and repetitive it was.

So overall it is taking the worst parts of a monthly manga, the worse parts of a weekly manga, and then adding overdone tropes and placing that makes glaciers feel fast and it is like the author is trying to piss people off. Which is sad since I really loved this series at the start.

Users who are viewing this thread