Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi o Suru - Vol. 5 Ch. 39

Double-page supporter
Well at least it's not Yen Press that acquires the rights, translate one or two volume and then abandon it entirely, amirite ?...
Look, I'm French. I'm fortunate enough to live in a country where manga is a BIG thing, but even there most manga are :
1. Expensive as fuck. Seriously, publisher are goddamn going overboard with the pricing
2. Usually 2 to 3 volume behind the ENGLISH scanlation. Hell One Piece is like 10 volume behind the actual storyline.

And then there's manga like https://mangadex.org/title/10255/soul-catcher-s I really really want someone to take over because I love it and the current group abandoned it for a fucking year.

Dex-chan lover
@SilverChaika
I hear you, my common russian citizen. (COMRAD!!!)
The worst thing is that they are billing almost the same amount for a digital, DIGITAL FOR CHRIST SAKE copy.
For example. Hard book copy (not some soft cover journal) of Made in Abyss costs in my local store ~5$. Journals versions costs ~3$, as you said.
So yeah, I've got money, but when I compare my salary and my countries prices to the US prices - it's to freaking expensive. If the digital copy was ~3$, bcs ITS FREAKIN DIGITAL YOU DONT HAVE TO PRINT IT, THERE IS NO PAPER AND COLORS NEED AND DISTRIBUTION ETC - I would buy it. But price they offering - is WAY TOO MUCH for me. And I think almost for 90% readers here.
For the US citizens this price is like, 2-3 hours of work. For non US - its 1-2 days of work. US is not some heavens land where everyone is living and have same salaries. This kind of money I prefer give to the Netflix, bcs i can enjoy it the whole month. But for 20 minutes reading - it's not acceptable for me.
And sure, the main factor - that licensed translation need minimum a year to catch up just to this point! I'm not even talking about future volumes...
Anyhow. Hope someone gonna pick this up. Dont get it why after putting so much work and time Panda's decided to drop - really, I dont get it.
@ShinGetsu i thank got the MangaPlus app where you can just read all weekly jump manga for free without any bullshit etc (just watch some commercial from time to time - now a big deal). GREATEST. THING. EVER. (One Piece is there too, if you for some reason dont know) One problem though - available only first and last 3 chapters - but for those who read from the beginning every week - is not a problem.

Dex-chan lover
Yarr pirate where you at

Also ty for the scan moe panda. Props to you guys

Thank you for your work so far, I can only hope that some smaller TL group will risk suicide and continue this series...

Aggregator gang
FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK PLZZZZZZZZZZZ ANOTHER GROUP GET THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Fed-Kun's army
Welp, hopefully there's a group out there that's seen just how awful official English releases usually are, and will pick this up.

Edit: even Uzaki is still getting translated, even though there's an official English release, so why stop now?

Fed-Kun's army
@Jmann
Most probably they dropped it for 1) legal reasons, since it's not uncommon now to have fan translation groups get DMCA'ed, 2) they really think that people need to support the officials, since technically, fan translations are piracy or "gray zone", depending on laws in each country. Sadly, the US/UK publisher's policies and their appetites are unacceptable for the major part of the world. We got an excellent international service in game distribution with Steam, GOG and other platforms. We're getting these services with the grow of Crunchyroll and similar platforms in anime streaming - there are still a lot of problems, such as region-locking, exclusive licensing, such as Amazon Prime, and so on, but we are getting over it slowly. These services and shops offer reasonable prices and a pretty nice collections for many countries in the world. For manga and ranobe it's much, much worse and we have a very long way to go, it's almost a miracle that some Japanese manga magazines started to oped a beta digital English versions for the customers overseas (I know about two of them already, I think), and for ranobe we have J-novel Club, but their prices and their list of available titles are still not in the "affordable" category for me. We can only wait and read fan translations for now, since our "localizations" could not be considered (I switched to English releases everywhere long, long ago, and they are still better that almost everything here)

Fed-Kun's army
@princeofcups @Kuromizu @GoblinGuy @ShinGetsu
You guys should probably take an economy 101 class before repeating this tired, utterly delusional argument about stickin' it to the man.

Of course the author gets the cut for every publishing license sold. True, they don't get a cut per volume in this case—the local publisher pays upfront and the author receives their share immediately. It means the publisher is already risking their invested money on something that may not pay off. So if the local release underperforms, they will not buy any more licenses, meaning less further profit to the author as well as any other series that may be cut off by association. You shouldn't magically expect that if it won't pay off for the local publisher, they will keep throwing money at authors. No, what will happen is they will stop doing what is unprofitable.

The implication that authors get a small cut while publishers get most of the profit is ludicrous. If this were the case, everyone would want to start a publishing business at all costs and authors would rush to self-publish. The reality? The most successful book publishers' profit margin is 10% at the upper end of the estimates, well in line with most businesses out there, including—yes—grocery and other retail stores you somehow don't have such a problem with. The only thing keeping these businesses afloat is sales volume, which is where their profits come from. It's the economies of scale, not profiting off the author. Publishing is a high-risk endeavor because of the upfront costs involved; they have a higher probability of going out of business than an author who consistently puts out a quality product, which is also why a few publishers get closed or bought out and consolidated with every unlucky economic bump. Again, the reason they are mostly big companies isn't that they can afford to be big; rather it's because they cannot afford to be small. There is work of many people involved in editing and pre-production, marketing and distribution, PR, and all sorts of management. They also pay taxes. It's not free, and everyone involved creates value rather than consumes it.

The second aspect to this is that publishers do what authors themselves either can't or don't have the time to. It's a symbiotic relationship, not a parasitic one. There are no massively successful mangakas who made a fortune on self-published works. All doujin authors who get an offer from a publisher jump on the opportunity at once. Even authors that have already made a name for themselves and have a devoted personal fan base, like Masashi Kishimoto or Kentaro Miura, still publish new works through major publishers despite the risk of getting axed—which they also do just like any other authors (see Samurai 8 for a recent example). Why? Because they understand that going that route both increases their outreach and removes any of the hassle they would have to go through when self-publishing. Publishers would not be needed if self-publishing could compete at scale. Even the risk of cancellation does not outweigh that. The chances that a work that got canceled at a big magazine would make it if it were self-published are very slim. It's better to swallow that pill and start something better ASAP instead of wasting time in efforts to save a failed product.

Last but not least, piracy is a double-edged sword. It can both help prepare and/or grow a paying audience and it can stifle a small one. It helped some authors and companies rise to prominence, and it has brought others to ruin. Making claims as to which case you're looking at before results are known requires a much better understanding of underlying economic processes than you have demonstrated with this argument. But the rule of thumb is that when if you cannot personally chip in, it's best to not interfere with new publications. At least give them time to issue a second print or sell out some early volumes so that people are incentivized to finish their collection. It benefits everyone in the end. Authors get paid more, companies stay in business, more manga is brought to local stores at affordable price points, and the community grows. In any case feeling entitled to one person's work or another's hobby output is never a good idea unless you are in a contractual relationship.

Damn.... The only mangas that was gonna get published in my country is from KADOKAWA since they recently merged with some local publishing companies thats famous for local comic. And yeah, same as Yen Press translated some volumes in my country language after 1-3 vol. they stopped. Its just stucked there with no progress. Ffs. Alr thought about buying stuffs legally but when the price is in U.S dollars its actually 4x the price here in my country. And considering times like dis where corona is still affecting many people and i also sometimes didnt get my paychecks. So with this meager amount of money decided to pays for internet first and formost since with internet i can usually ignores my hungers. Sad but its the truth and reality for some people as they struggles with life.

Fed-Kun's army
It sucks that this group had to drop it, but this series is so popular here that I bet more than one group will continue it, at least the next one...

Dex-chan lover
Well, there dies another series. If a Publisher is gonna license a series then DONT FUCKING DRAG OUT THE RELEASES FOR FUCKS SAKE.
I don't mind paying for the official releases, I DO mind having to wait for fucking years until they come out.

Dex-chan lover
@SilverChaika Ranobe... you opened my wound... I really wanna buy RE: zero, for example. BUT - there is only 6 volumes, 6 of 22, in russian. And its pain in the ass to find even proper English translation. I was reading one volume here, one volume there etc. In the end i was so tired of searching where to read next arc, that i just dropped somehere in the middle (especially that its not easy to read, when english isnt you native language, idk is this translation or its just written this way).

Dex-chan lover
This is why I am slowly and steadily learning to read Japanese, its so shit how when an official release happens, unless its like fucking Naruto, it will be like 5 volumes behind at all times. It's frustrating as fuck having to wait like 2 years for something to catch up.

Users who are viewing this thread