Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi o Suru - Vol. 5 Ch. 39

Double-page supporter
@moozooh
Look, I understand all of that.
The thing that irks me are :
- Where I live, manga are ridiculously overpriced for the quality of the volume. FFS half my old Bleach volumes have pages falling off and I didn't even read them that often. For a 7-8€ price it's a blatant rip-off, French/Belgian Comics usually cost around that price and are in a much higher quality.
- The translation isn't even good half of the time. Many "pirate" scanlators actually do a way better job.
- That money won't even go to the author. IF I could buy in Japanese and support manga by supporting their publishing company there, I would. But I can't read moonrunes.
- And then, you have publishing companies that literally drops works after a few volume because reasons. Thankfully it doesn't happen much in France, but many english publishers don't hesitates at all to do it. Yen Press in particular...

GOD DAMN IT GOJOU! YOU MISSED THE MOST IMPORTANT THING! AAAAAAAGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Aggregator gang
FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Well I hope another group will pick it up...

Dex-chan lover
God, moralfag scanlators are the fucking cancer. Specially the ones who think everyone's a burger.
At least the chances of someone picking this up again are super high considering how popular this is. No one would want to miss all those sweet views for their e-peen to feel good.

Btw, for those that read Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru. That manga just received the same fate...

It got licensed by a company that only offers the English release through a $6.99 subscription service (Mangamo), which is only available through an iOS app. Not even a damn physical copy or Android.

Aggregator gang
@ShinGetsu
Pricing is a separate problem and I can relate. I have well over a hundred books in my personal collection, but the only physical volumes of manga I've bought were gifts to other people. When I buy manga, I only buy digital, and even then usually wait for sales. Likewise with games. Music purchases are the only thing I prefer to have in physical form, but that's mainly for sentimental reasons. The economy in the country I live in is at its lowest point in the last 20 years, so a full day of work can only get me three volume of manga at 7–8€ even if I spend nothing on anything else. So yeah, that price point is unsustainable.

Unfortunately, this situation cannot improve unless the market grows enough to make the economy of scale feasible. The only marketing mechanism that can bring the price of printed volumes down while still turning any profit is scale. The price of digital volumes is indirectly tied to printed volumes; if it were priced 3–4 times lower to reflect the difference in production costs, it would cannibalize physical sales resulting in a net loss of profit. So yes, in order for something to cost less, people need to buy more to make lower price points feasible for the publisher. This is exactly why subsequent prints tend to be cheaper.

And then, you have publishing companies that literally drops works after a few volume because reasons.
Reasons are in my previous paragraph. Businesses don't operate on whims. If something is dropped it's because people aren't buying it so the company loses money on investing in it.

That money won't even go to the author.
I literally just explained that it has already gone to the author and the entire mechanism behind it. Second paragraph of my post. Every localization license means money for the author. More licenses = more money to authors. Yes, it is front-loaded, so technically what you're paying will more likely fund the license to a different series. But the act of purchase also indicates the interest in this one so if enough people do this it will be published in full and may receive second or subsequent prints. So you still have some control over this and can vote with your wallet, so to say.

Manga is no different from any other imported product. When you buy a banana from your nearby store, it means the store purchased this batch of bananas from a dealer who purchased it from an exporting company who purchased it from a local farmer who got paid for it. What you're saying is "well, the farmer doesn't get any cut from me paying for this banana, so it's better to get it for free, but if I could support them by buying banana in their home country, I totally would". That's about the level of your understanding of the subject. Obviously market will not notice it if only you start demanding free bananas, but if enough people decide they don't want to pay for them, the store won't buy them from the dealer, the dealer will not order them from the exporting company, who will pay less to the farmer, and everyone loses. C'est la vie.

Double-page supporter
Seeing people get angry at the translators is hilarious. “Oh no some people that owe me nothing are dropping the translation of someones elses creation, fucking assholes🥴” learn japanese, wait and buy official release or stop bitching and move on

Dex-chan lover
what a time for the dollar be 5x the currency of my country

Fed-Kun's army
@Mitsuboshi "learn japanese, wait and buy official release "
Yes, because learning Japanese takes like 2 weeks. That's totally a sensible solution for a single, or even a couple of manga. And as far as buying official releases goes, most people that read the manga here do so exactly because they can't buy the official releases. Even those who can have to wait for months, even years to do so. We're at volume 5 right now, which might not get officially released until August or September next year. That's more than a year of waiting just to catch up to where we are now. If buying the official release was such a great and feasible option everyone would be doing it.

Double-page supporter
@Aezeryel ik its not easy but if you really want to read the series go learn the language instead of complaining, they dont owe you anything.

Just to comment on the manga, Im glad the development is going this way and that they are honest with each other

Dex-chan lover
@moozooh
Thank you for the post. So many peeps may not get it that it isn't as simple as author not getting any.

This still shows how bad it is to a lot of people engaged and fascinated with the series who basically felt 'cucked' by the licensing. (pardon for the words somehow I just want to use it)

I'm not from US and basically, bookstores are dead decades ago in my area so I'm effed squared.

I wouldn't mind buying the officially translated book but hell the price for it is just brain mushing for someone of my status. Barely scraping by at the moment plus with the recent pandemic making it worse.

Someone was mentioning book depository earlier and I checked, albeit the shipping is free the price is basically doubled for me then there's tax and customs with to make it even more not worth it. Welp... There's also the issue of reading experience to anticipate with the official release, it might not be as engaging to read the the well established scanlation.

Who knows, it might be not that bad but seriously though... My Dress Up Darling is just unappetizing title to come up with... Could've just gone with a literal translation and would probably be more eye-candy to attract unaware readers. Though that's just my opinion on the official title.

Power Uploader
Do people still not realize that scanlations are technically piracy, and some licensors are more than happy to DMCA/sue scanlation groups for copyright infringement?

Judging by the comments, sounds like thats a no.

Dex-chan lover
We don't even know if official english releases even make it to volume 5. They could stop printing new volumes because of poor sales. And I doubt a lot of people will remember this title in 2021 anyway.

Thats why I guess scanlations are actually help to sell more manga by keeping readers interest. People willing to support the series will buy volumes regardless of whether they read scanlations or not, and those who don't want to spend their money won't do it anyway and just drop the series. But if there are only official releases with few months gap between volumes, a lot of people, including those who are ready to buy it, drop the series just because they loose interest.

Why doesn't west have analogues of Japanese online weekly manga magazines or something like this?

Dex-chan lover
You're stopping the manga just as she said she loves him out loud... That's... That not fair! That's not fair at all! (Thank god I'm learning Japanese I might just read the raws)

Users who are viewing this thread