Souboutei Kowasubeshi - Vol. 25 Ch. 247 - The Exhibition

Power Uploader
I find it amazing that even though Takoha won, it's still not a humiliating defeat for Deido, who's acknowledged by Takoha as the greater artist and who made the the more ambitious picture. It's like the contest was only about saving the world, but the art itself is above that.

Dex-chan lover
Deido is probably indeed the best artist, not saying that the mc is a bad one of course, but Deido im the end lacked what you truly needed to win, connections, the man who shuts himself at home and only listens to himself talk will never be able to draw connections.

Group Leader
Deido's first dialogue in the story is a bizarre comparison of art to a "medical examination", and he ends the final conflict by defining the main character himself as art. I am truly amazed by how consistent Deido's words and behavior have been to his established character for the entire duration of the series. Never is the integrity of his character sacrificed for even a moment. And that is why he is such an excellent villain.

Dex-chan lover
I stared at Takoha's final works for quite a while.

Great stuff.

Dex-chan lover
Man. I like it too.

And I love that in the end, the 'winning' paintings aren't... no, how to put it.

I like that they're portraiture. Beautiful portraits, but portraits. Representational art of specific people, without much stylization- in fact given that they are done in the same style as the rest of the manga, we can assume they are photo realistic art. Which takes a lot of skill, of course. But it's also not the kind of 'art' we see him make a lot of either.

It's the kind of art an artist like him makes for practice, to hone his skills, for comissions. It's one of the most enduring, universal, ancient forms of art. Looking at someone, knowing someone, and putting them to pigment and surface to say there was this person and they were like this.

And he painted them all happy. At rest. Makes me cry, man.

Users who are viewing this thread