Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 13 Ch. 125 - Family

Dex-chan lover
I can't help but feel the assassin is a sad sack. An entire lifetime spent carrying out an order he didn't understand, he didn't question, he didn't reject? Throughout 60+ years, he never became curious enough to seek out answers or do what any fully grown adult should be able to - make some pragmatic decisions?

Eggggh. What a horrible way to live. I mean, we are probably meant to interpret him as someone who just isn't honest with his feelings, rather then someone who didn't manage to escape his upbringing for 60 years, but still.

Nah, I just can't view this as something wholesome. While he played house, he still killed people without a care in the world. What a psycho.
You can't really blame them on this as they really drilled their loyalty to the cause way beyond for them. Also, this is a fairly easy mission for his group, keeping an eye on the old mountain pass and eliminate those that are in the list. I'm pretty sure they started to question it when there was no message for a long time from the higher ups or a highway was being built to bypass them. You can tell they started to have some doubts as time went by but they still did it as they were happy that they were forgotten as well. I mean they didn't reached that point if they weren't loyal to the cause.

Even if they were to start asking questions, I'm pretty sure they know what will happen. Another different group from their organization will come and silence them and I'm pretty sure they know as they were said to be dangerous in their time. It might even be possible that they were given a suicide mission that organization expects nobody to return when Frieren was on the list. If a country can't take down the demon lord for over a millennia, what do you think will happen if they try to take down the mage from the heroes party that did it?

It's a very grey topic that time will definitely distort it. Much so if the current government is in utter chaos when the very reason the millennia old country that still exist today is gone.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly Im more interested in know who decide to kill several mages that in the previous chapter was stated that even "some of them even contributed to the kingdom", wich mean is no only traitors but "inconvenient" people, where Frieren is one of them.

Obviously we can say is was just an case of "She served us killing the Demon King, but she is too powerfull to trust in her", but I thing it would be more interesting think in the implication of a underlying plot.
That's what I'm thinking as well. Honestly put a bit of damper on the whole "My team just saved your entire kingdom"

Dex-chan lover
Th
WHY DID YOU LET HIM LIVE????

Edit: Honestly, someone breaks into your residence and puts a knife to your throat. That MF doesn't deserve to be breathing. I don't f**king care some sad-sack back story they have. They came in with the motive to end mine. End story.
That's the difference between vengeance and justice.

Although here it's not justice ; but what you want is vengeance. Which isn't good here.

He learned the lesson and will not do it again.
Killing him would bring nothing apart appease your thirst for blood, by living he'll do more good.

It's hard to not bear grudge but in this case, our mg (main group) are the type to be like that. So this checks out.

Dex-chan lover
Th

That's the difference between vengeance and justice.

Although here it's not justice ; but what you want is vengeance. Which isn't good here.

He learned the lesson and will not do it again.
Killing him would bring nothing apart appease your thirst for blood, by living he'll do more good.

It's hard to not bear grudge but in this case, our mg (main group) are the type to be like that. So this checks out.
So we've devolved Self Defense to "Vengence"/"Revenge Story"/"holding grudges"
Oh good. Nice to know we've crossed the threshold in to complete p
ants on head retarded.

Go
lf clap to you people who can't differentiate

You know what I find so frustratin
g about this chapter(s)? It completely yanks me out of the immersion in the story. The guy breaks in to kill Frieren and all of a sudden he's waxing about his life and his ideas of loyalty Metal Gear Style. He's killed all these other people on his hit list. And now he's backing out? One could argue his long life here made him softer, but as soon as he saw Frieren, he immediately jumped on his old habits. His newly evolved ideas of loyalty/life should have stopped him there, not while in the act. You know what have been a far more believeable chapter? This guy talking to Frieren telling her that she "was" on a list, that he was a shadow assassin and he has no need to fulfill his "mission", as it would compromise his new ideals on life, and telling her to be careful of possible other agents out to get her. You know who the Assassin is? Ellie from TLOU2. After killing everyone in sight, she just lets her main target go at the end. WTF.

But what I get is him with
his hand half way out of the cookie jar, with him getting caught in the act, THEN monologuing about how maybe what he is doing is wrong. Like bro, seriously?

But what honestly annoys me is that everyone is
using the power if hind sight to feel morally justified and high off their own farts in their position of defending the assassin. I'm going from the perspective of the characters in the moment. And having him just walk after he SPEECH 100 meme on them while being subdued in the act of killing her, just makes both him even more untrustworthy and makes our little band of heroes look uncharacteristically unintelligent. You don't wanna kill him, fine. Bind him forever to a rock or something. Seriously guys, you are clinging to this manga in the most superficial ways possible, which is mind boggling. You guys think you are far more philosophical, but it pains me to say the majority here are egregiously shallow

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
There is no threat to them anymore so killing him would NOT be self defense.
Why do people have such a selective memory?

Someone breaks into your home and puts a knife to your throat. You don't know if they are going to complete the job and you have 0.5 seconds to react. Are we really going to pray for that off chance that person might NOT go through with it? The fact you have this position is because the author decided to have him monologue while doing it.

If ANYONE decides to run up to any city cop with a knife in their hand with the plan of say "Just a prank bro" at the end, they are going to end up being turned into swiss cheese with the cop being justified in turning them to worm food.

mgRdr, "hesitation" should have stopped him from committing the act of attempted murder, not in the act of.

Shadow, what you are doing is called "moving the goal posts", you idiot. Real cute

Last edited:
Supporter
Because there was no reason to kill him. He wont chase after them, he clearly had given up killing her and cared about his life more than his mission.

If he had full intentions to kill her he could have, even if he'd die, but his heart was not into it.
What about all the other innocent people he'd uselessly murdered over the years though? They'd been long forgotten even decades ago, their targets were innocent people who had greatly helped the empire, and still they continued.

Group Leader
They also would fail their "mission" by dying of old age if the bingo book isn't empty by then. Or maybe some tough mofo from the book could have killed them all. After that nobody would have stopped anyone, but the HQ would remain blissfully ignorant since they were forgotten anyway and nobody kept checking on them. Surely their HQ didn't expect them to be immortal. There's logic in following orders, but there's also logic in the orders being logical.
They were first-line defense, not only-line. If they died from getting killed or old age and the original plan was still in effect then the next line of defense would take care of it.

Dex-chan lover
The fact you have this position is because the author decided to have him monologue while doing it.
Which means he is having second thoughts about the hit. He was well capable of killing Frieren in one motion and maybe even escaping unscathed, but he hesitated. There was zero reason to leave Stark alive as well, given that the only thing that distinguishes his life from that of Frieren is that his name is not on the list - but he hesitated too. This "hit" was more for the sake of theatrics

Dex-chan lover
Yep just as I figured, the old man was holding onto something that has long expired, but as stubborn as he was, it’s not like he wanted to do it out of cold blood. It wouldn’t make sense to just kill him right there considering the sensible explanation he gave.

Forgive me if I worded this but I think he lived such a peaceful yet rather not-so-eventful life up to this point, despite that mission he was assigned that ended up expired and forgotten by everyone else, that he didn’t want to die without any sense of significance or worth, hence why he clung onto that. But Frieren stated it herself, he shouldn’t let something like that already long gone as an excuse or obligation to quantify the value of his life up til now, HE himself has to figure that out. I personally think he did at the end: even if it was initially playing house, he had a family with his comrades in the village and passed the days living like normal people aside from the occasional to rare call to duty. His friends managed to gain their own families and so did he. That all in itself, regardless of what their identities or roles were in the past, is something worthwhile and nothing to regret.

Dex-chan lover
This chapter made me realize we've only seen Frieren and Kids fight mages, or people with mana, but never really any warriors who don't use magic. Frieren is obviously a mage who can best many if not all other mages who face her, but she seems to struggle against non magic users. I wonder how much of this was because she was ambused or because warriors are the ultimate foe against mages.

I think the reason why Frieren didn't kill him is because she doesn't like killing non demons. She has her whole elaborate reasoning for why demons can die, and I'm sure there's something similar for why she can't kill humans under any circumstance. I don't think we've actually seen her slay anything that's not a demon. I also don't think Fern or Stark are at the "can kill a human" stage of their lives yet. They're both so young I think Frieren recognizes how much having to kill someone, or watching their master kill someone might weigh on their conscience.

Dex-chan lover
Great chapter. It felt like a return to peak Frieren while also helping build up hype for the Empire.

Dex-chan lover
She has her whole elaborate reasoning for why demons can die
Not "can". Must. And I don't find the reasoning that elaborate - unlike the old man, a demon is guaranteed to stab you once you turn your back.
We haven't seen her kill humans yet, but I don't think we were shown any situation where that was an absolute necessity

Dex-chan lover
Also, nobody brought it up yet but the Old Man's wife knew about Frieren and how he left in the middle of the night to do the "job". She's definitely one of the 4 assassins sent by the Empire, posing as (what I'm guessing) "Mother". But unlike "Father", she's already moved on from it which is why she didn't bother Frieren.

Dex-chan lover
I don't know, this is pretty anticlimactic. And I don't see how he was persuaded to desist by those few words that were exchanged. He must have really not been very committed after decades undercover.

Dex-chan lover
D
Why do people have such a selective memory?

Someone breaks into your home and puts a knife to your throat. You don't know if they are going to complete the job and you have 0.5 seconds to react. Are we really going to pray for that off chance that person might NOT go through with it? The fact you have this position is because the author decided to have him monologue while doing it.

If ANYONE decides to run up to any city cop with a knife in their hand with the plan of say "Just a prank bro" at the end, they are going to end up being turned into swiss cheese with the cop being justified in turning them to worm food.

mgRdr, "hesitation" should have stopped him from committing the act of attempted murder, not in the act of.

Dude calm the fuck down... This is not a revenge story, Frieren was never the type to hold deep grudges against people attacking her (there were at least 3 denken, the one on the exam that attacked her with stark and now this one... the ones that we know) & for how she said about the guys who send the Assassin's they are probably long gone, the party doesn't gain anything, if he tries something they can stop him and they were aware of danger (the reason why Frieren woke up without issues), no one was killed and it's not their house so the mayor will have to fix the hut

Users who are viewing this thread